The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

Re: I want my money back!

Seriously, I was never this "crazy" but I'm mad and I'm done. I thought that people would not agree on this forum with the view. But I thought someone should say it because no one else was. I'll stick to whats already been made. Its far better then what I saw today.

2. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

Cookie?

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I think she was the Orion that Kirk was banging.

4. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Okeydokey, bye; have fun. :D

5. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Have fun storming the PARAMOUNT PICTORES CASTLE!

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

No refunds--thanks for contributing to the success of Star Trek!

7. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Actually the altered timeline is perfectly explainable with other star trek references. But I already posted my example, so I invite you to go read it.

8. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

:lol: Oh, you are so right. He did buy a ticket, so he did his part sponsoring the sequel. :D

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Sorry, bro, but that ain't gonna happen.
    I've been a fan since TOS, and I couldn't be happier with the idea od a reboot.

10. bismarck_1892

Don't intend to storm anthing. But I regret seeing the film. I don't literally want my money back by the way.

In any case, I thought the film was okay but because its a reboot I'm simply not going to go with the flow.

I like my trek the way it was not the way they will make it.

I'm actually suprised that more people don't feel the same way. I guess everyone is so starved they will eat anything.

Don't mean to pick a fight. Just feel that it was not necessary to destroy fourty years of Trek to make a great Trek movie.

11. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

1. If you don't really want your money back, why did you name this thread ''I want my money bcak''? 2. If everyone is so ''starved'' for trek does that mean if ENT premired last year instead of 2001, ENT would be a ratings hit & nobody would complain about the canon problems?

12. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're talking OMD/BND? That got me to drop Spider-Man like a hot rock.

Well, here's the thing. Sure, in story terms, the original Trek universe (with all its old stories) "still exists." But the prospect of ever seeing any new stories set in that reality, at least on screen, has now been reduced to essentially nil. Sure, there can still be novels and comics, at least in theory... but the film production dollars will go to this "alternate reality." And the more popular it becomes, the less likely we'll see even the spin-off material set in the original reality. So to a very real extent, this version of Trek succeeds only at the expense of the original.

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well. Anyone familiar with action-film formula could see how this movie was going through the paces.

Sad, but true. Ultimately, Star Trek is what the franchise's owners say it is, and they cheerfully consented to Abrams remaking it in his image. That's showbiz for you, emphasis on the "biz." All that really says, though, is that the owners value Trek for very different reasons than the fans do.

Not at all—time travel can still make for some great, fascinating, thought-provoking SF. It may well be at a dead end in terms of Trek, though.

Well, that seems a little inconsistent. The first theme is simply awful, downright dispiriting. The second one is a lot closer to Trek's humanistic core, though. Philosophically, they all but cancel each other out.

Hear, hear. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Many of the plot flaws, shortcuts, and implausibilities you describe were the very same ones that prevented me from enjoying the story. (And I didn't get away with just $10.25 per ticket... I paid $17 to see the damn thing in IMAX. :()

Some of that (not all) was rationalized away in the prequel comic book Countdown. (Which doesn't help an uninitiated viewer of the movie, of course.) In particular, the star that exploded wasn't actually the Romulan home star, but another one—the explosion of which somehow grew in strength as it expanded and "threatened the whole galaxy." (Yes, that's so scientifically illiterate it beggars description, but that's how they set it up. If they wanted a star-system-level threat that propagated faster than light speed, a little imaginative SFnal thinking could have devised one—Diane Duane did it to great effect in her Rihannsu novels—but instead they took a cheap shortcut.)

Word.

Yeah, but if he actually stopped to think things through then he wouldn't be a scenery-chewing Villain, and the story (allegedly) needed one of those. :rolleyes: Of course, the heroes weren't much brighter. It's a classic "idiot plot"—it only does what the writers need if the characters act like idiots.

If "mass appeal" means more sequels in the spirit of this movie, I don't see how that leaves anything worth holding on to for fans.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

JJ Abrams thanks you for your patronage.

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

This was clearly - and marketed - to be a Trek series for nonfans (I won't argue against that). A few of the dedicated fans I know locally said that the film was ok but not one of the greats (averaged third behind FC and TWOK), but my nontrek fans who have seen it (I was amazed that there were a few who have already seen it) said that it was great. I noted this back during Nemesis' run too - nonfans seemed to like it more.

15. bismarck_1892

You guys are all funny. I don't care about the money and the patronage the move was fine (for what it was).

"I want my money back" is a figure of speech. I regret seeing it though. I should have read the spoilers.;) Not because of the money. Lets have some perspective here its just a movie.

I am not happy with the new re-boot and reject it.

16. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So... wait. You don't dislike the movie because it's bad. You dislike it because it's a reboot? Ok.

18. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry you didn't like the movie. I thought it rocked from start to finish. Amazing job all-around by the writers, actors, director, and special effects peeps.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah baby! Trek is back!
    Five out of Five Stars!

WOOOOOOOO! :lol:

Our theater was packed, and at the end everyone stood up and cheered!
    I'm going to go back at least a couple more times. I loved it from beginning to end, the story, the visuals, the acting, the dialog, hell that was a lot of fun! :D

J.

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You're surprised that some people care more about the story than they do some geeky fictional timeline? "But, we fought WWIII in the 1990s! We really did!" Nonsense. It's been almost half a century. It's time for a reboot. You want to keep Star Trek relevent, don't you?

Now if you have criticisms of the story, that's another thing. But you can't enjoy a movie because it does fit with the fictional timeline that exists nowhere except in your head? That's nonsense.