Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was charged for the next set of ships last night.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I just sent an email about the 2009 Enterprise and the AGT 3-engine version to see what's up. I'll let you all know when I hear something.

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I'm afraid that day has come and past.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Official_Starships_&_Vehicles_Collection

From what I remember (I only got the first issue) the quality of the ships were good but not great. Of course, they're not Eaglemoss, but DeAgostini are pretty much the same thing.

4. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm seriously considering subscribing to this and getting the ships!

After the first one, how are you billed? Is it billed for the next couple ships before they are sent? How are the magazines that come with the ships?

5. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

I wish I had the money to continue my Subscription. I only have the first 4 Issues.

6. trekker670

You're billed monthly and receive one shipment per month, containing two issues.

So in the USA, you're charged $39.90 once per month ($19.95 per issue) and then they ship the them soon after billing. Depending on where you're located, they typically arrive in 1-2 weeks after billing.

Towards the beginning of the run there were some complaints about the time between billing, shipping, and receiving the issues, but those have been resolved over the last few months. They've also started sending emails updating you to the shipping status.

7. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm charged around the 10th of the month and then receive the package about 10 days later. This is for 2 ships at a time.

8. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

How many Ships will there be by the time it is done?

9. trekker670

The number of ships will depend on continued demand for the ships. They've announce up to issue 50, there's speculation up to issue 75.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The provisional list contained 70 issues. However, considering the popularity of the collection, I wouldn't be surprised if it continued past that. So far we've had 25 regular issues and 2 special issues (and 2 subscriber bonuses). That's 29 "ships" so far. They've confirmed what issues their are up to 40, and then 3 more between 40-50 (with the 50th being the original 1701).

So that's 70 planned. 50 confirmed. 2 specials released with unknown more to come and 2 subscriber gifts.

11. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Okay, I just checked out some of models through a Google image search. I couldn't very any high quality pictures, but they do look to be decent, at least. I see they went up to 80 issues before hanging it up.

Do you have any idea of where I could pick some of these up for a decent price? I found some on eBay, but I don't really want to go that route.

12. 137th Gebirg

Just got a response for my request about the unreleased special ships. It's about what I expected:
    So, it sounds like we'll be getting everything, just a tad delayed is all. No biggy. :techman:

I still find their customer service to be truly excellent. They've answered every question I've ever sent them and I've been pleased with everything so far in general. No complaints!

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Monstersinmotion sells them also, not a big selection but that is where I bought my Akira.
    http://www.monstersinmotion.com/car...s-u-s-s-equinox-vehicle-with-magazine-p-18880

14. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

15. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was disappointed that the Promethueus issue went with the NX-59650 registration number, with no mention whatsoever of the "correct" one.

Nice to finally have the ship, in many ways it is the pinnacle of Sterbach's Tek career.

16. 137th Gebirg

^^^ I don't know that the NX-74913 registry is any more "correct" than the 59650, aside from the fact that Okuda came up with the number for the bridge-screen graphics before the model was built. The original CG model from which the Eaglemoss version is made had the 59650 number, shown on-screen, so it is technically correct. I would agree, however, that some mention should have been given to the other number (of equal correctness, IMO), with maybe an explanation akin to what was mentioned here:

17. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I read some reviews that stated the craftsmanship and customer service was sub par. But on here I`ve only read glowing reviews. Is it a case that there is truth in both?

18. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Heh. Since most comic shops usually get their stock from a US distributor, and when they do import something the price usually isn't particularly favorable, gives me the feeling that Eaglemoss' subscription folks don't know what their wholesale division is doing.

At least we'll get them eventually.

19. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I got the first of the special issues yesterday(DS9)which u get now order with the excelsior model in Australia.Dontknow if im getting the jjprise yet.

20. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Trek enthusiasts will be thrilled to see ships that haven't been made in toy/model form before. But as a subscriber, I'd say some are really great (love the 1701-D, which I'm sure they put more into as it's the introductary ship) and others are a bit blah. Size decisions are a bit baffling (Excelsior is very small; you'd wish it would be in scale to the 1701 at least) and some smaller pieces can be easily warped or even break (Bajoran Solar Sail, Klingon bird of prey). There have been complaints about the saucer thickness of the Stargazer being too thin.

Sometimes paint schemes are sloppy (but you can ask for replacements).

My view? I'm pretty happy with the collection so far, and love the magazines. I'm more of a Starfleet ship guy myself, but the alien ships do give you more variety and color. Get a nice display for them, I'd recommend.

And if the subscription model isn't your thing, just do one-offs at local comic shops or online.