Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Larry Miller's Bridge Manual from here is a cleaned up version:
    http://www.starbase79.com/trek.htm

http://www.starbase79.com/Images/Command Bridge CD/index.htm

I have a signed printed version I bought in 2002 or so, as well as the CD he sells where he's coloured the consoles.

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

^That's the one! I have the book, and it came with a copy of the Starbase 79 blueprints. Not sure if the CD was available at the time.

Just curious, wildstar, how accurate the colors are compared to the screencaps over on TrekCore? From the sample page he's got on his website, I'm not sure the colors are entirely accurate; the Red Alert flashers on that console are colored blue, for instance.

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I have the CD as well. I have to be honest though, his reproductions are pretty inaccurate. There are quite a few departures from the actual displays used in the movies, from what I can tell.

4. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree with you about the accuracy. Maybe he only had VHS tapes to go by and missed some things? I don't know.
    But my drive doesn't want to read my CD for some reason so I can't check the colours btw.
    I *do* like the explanations of the screens and button functions though.

5. Donny

...slowly...
    [​IMG]

6. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I just haven't been looking, but this is the first time I've seen segmentation on the curves.

Other than that, you're realizing a 35 year old dream to walk around on that bridge.

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love how Donny considers what he's accomplished as "slow".

I would take me a couple of months or more to create a single station and even then it would possess nowhere near the accuracy Donny's presented.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. Donny

Yeah, the segmented curves are a downside to using a game engine. But trust me, I'm packing a TON of polygons into this thing. And I haven't even started in the accordion-style buttons on the consoles yet. But on my rig, I'm still getting 70-80 frames a second. So far so good.

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks so good that they certainly don't stand out.

You have to post some animations. Well, not HAVE to. Ought to? ;)

10. Donny

I will once there's more to show, for sure!

11. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

Amazing work, as always.

How many tris are we looking at? The detail is fantastic. Is this more suitable for renders than realtime? I.E., could you actually use it in a game without insane load times (and giving the scene graph a heart attack), or is it so dense that it's more suited for high-resolution still renders/animation?

Because I'd love to see this as an interactive environment.

~Belisarius

12. Donny

Oh, no. This is meant to be experienced in real-time. I wouldn't have it any other way. It does use a new-gen engine though (Unreal 4), so you'll need a modern PC with a beefy graphics card to experience it in all it's glory.

Load times shouldn't be an issue, and I can definitely work around any issues that do arrive by using level-streaming (for those that don't' know, that is seamless loading of more of the map file while in-game).

So far, this engine is proving to be amazing at handling lots of polygons. More than I thought it would be, honestly.

13. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

That's fantastic. I distinctly remember your Enterprise-D interiors running in the Elite Force-era id Tech 3 engine, unless I'm mistaken.

My PC could definitely handle just about anything running on Unreal 4 and reasonably optimized (i7 3770k, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 Ti ACX), so please let us know if this stuff is ever released in a playable form. ;)

I'd love to see, for example, a level where you have to navigate the corridors on emergency power...or no power (i.e., dead ship) with only a hand-lamp. Perhaps even in zero gravity. I mean, can you imagine "falling" down a refit Connie corridor in the dark? Thought gives me chills.

The virtual lighting possibilities alone are endless (and potentially spectacular).

~Belisarius

14. Donny

I think the bridge ceiling fixture really brings everything together...
    [​IMG]

15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I was going to try and make some sort of Big Lebowski reference, but I'm too in awe of this latest update. :techman:

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, what's the dome in the center of the ceiling where the automatic bridge defense system would go?

17. Donny

I have no idea. It looks neat though.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

IIRC, it was some kind of fishbowl thing with a big "level" device in it that bounced around when the ship was shaking back in TMP. I guess the whole bridge set was on a big gimble at one time. It was most especially noticable when they were in the wormhole and again when they were being attacked by V'ger. I don't think it was really seen much at any other time.

19. Donny

Well, last night when creating the Weapons & Defense Station's shield status display, I realized that the graphic was indeed a top schematic view of the Phase II Enterprise, not the Motion Picture Enterprise. This makes sense (production-wise), since many of the bridge display graphics are exactly how they are depicted in the Phase II Enterprise Flight Manual. Although a different display was used altogether for this display in The Motion Picture, the production crew on Wrath of Khan obviously used an existing Phase II graphic.

Because I'm going for accuracy of what is seen on-screen rather than an "updated" version with the correct in-universe graphics (in this case, a Movie-Era Enterprise graphic instead of the Phase II graphic), I decided to re-create the display with the Phase II schematic, as seen below:

[​IMG]

However, this got me wondering if the other Enterprise schematics seen around the bridge (for example, as seen in the Damage and Repair Station) were in fact Phase II schematics, and yep! They certainly are (as seen in this reference shot). I had previously assumed these graphics were TMP-Enterprise Schematics, so my re-creations feature Andy Probert schems...as seen below:

[​IMG]

So today, I changed the graphics to their screen-accurate versions:

[​IMG]

Oh, and for those wondering, the "Deck Plan" schematic graphics featured in the screen shots above are in factfrom the TOS Franz Joseph blueprints, just as they were used on the actual set.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I stick with what's screen-accurate, or should I move towards using a more rational in-universe approach?

EDIT: Here are some close-ups of my Phase II schematic re-creations, followed by the TMP schematics I was using before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  20. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I'd go with scripted intent. That's clearly supposed to represent the Enterprise as she was post-refit, & those displays weren't supposed to be looked at that closely once the design changed again.

Hold on to those other schematics, though, in case you ever do a proper brightly-lit Phase II bridge variant someday.