GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 30, 2014.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

30.5%
  2. A

33.7%
  3. A-

16.1%
  4. B+

8.4%
  5. B

4.4%
  6. B-

2.0%
  7. C+

1.6%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

0.8%
  10. D+

0.4%
  11. D

0.4%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yeah I remember all the Emperor did was cackle alot and walk around with a cane he didn't even have a lightsaber, then the Force lightning came out and he nearly killed Luke.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

But that wasn't all he did. We knew Vader worked for, him Vader was willing to overthrow the Emperor to be with his sun. Emperor was more compelling a villain because he was the tug of war element between Luke and Vader, And, when we do meet him, he is goading Luke, trying to get him to do everything Yoda told him not to do. He didn't just

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

So what? He was only a hologram in ESB and had merely four scenes in ROTJ you learn nothing about him nor do you understand how powerful he is.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

He was spoken on in the first film, and he was a personal wedge between characters we do care about.

Having seen all the Marvel films, I don't know anything about the purple guy. Other than the fact that he is threat, Tony has no connection to him

5. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You didn't know fuck all about the Emperor by the end of A New Hope either. And knew little more by the end of Empire. It wasn't until the third film that he was fully revealed, and even then all he did was twirl his mustache, look pleased with himself, and troll Luke.

In comparison, Thanos was shown briefly in a post-credits scene in one film, had a couple of scenes in this film, and is also personally linked to two main characters in this film. Seems pretty comparable to me.

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Tony, Cap, Widow, and pretty much everyone else I care about, has no personal - or even tangental - connection to Thanos. He is a big evil guy that smiles at the end.. and we are supposed to care. It could a Carmaglefluffin fromt the Andromeda galaxy and it would make no difference

Even Tarkin's reference to the Emporer held more for me to care about, because the rebels are fighting for freedom and rights from this huge empire, and the idea before Tarkin mentioned the Emperor was that they did have sympathizers in the senate. That is what Leia's mission is all about!! But when the Emperor dissolves the senate, we understand a bit of the conditions of this galaxy and even get a feeling for why Leia's fight might be futile.

7. Servo

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Thanos was behind the attack on New York, he tried to use Loki to get the tesseract just as he tried to use Ronan to get the power gem.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

yeah that's about seven films or so into the franchise and all we get is a smile, and we are told merely told he is the big bad?

10. Servo

How many films prior to The Avengers dealt with the Infinity Gems?

Answer: One. Captain America: The First Avenger.

And The Avengers was the 6th and final Phase 1 film.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Blame Joss Whedon this is from The Avenges Wiki article.

And really we're told his plan in the first words of the movie.

12. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm with FSM on the subject of Thanos, to be honest. There's a lot of things the MCU has done amazingly well, but successfully building anticipation for Thanos as the Big Bad Behind the Scenes has not been one of them. I was left feeling pretty indifferent by his appearance in Guardians.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I fully expect Thanos to get more of a build-up now that Marvel has confirmed they're heading towards Infinity War in 2019 and 2020. It's easy to complain about Thanos' lack of development thus far, but we have to remember that we're only ten movies into what will be a twenty-one film saga when it's all said and done, and Thanos was only just introduced in the sixth with just a (very) slightly more prominent appearance in the tenth, after the seventh, eighth, and ninth films all dealt with the fallout of what happened in The Avengers. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is essentially a serialized television show in movie format; things make a lot more sense when you treat it as such.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, it's serialized to the point that there are story threads weaving throughout ("It's all connected"), but not so much that every movie is essential watching.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

You won't have to wait that long Part I is in 2018 and Part II is the following year, but GOTG II will be coming out in 2017.

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think Weyoun was a compelling villain in his first scene because he wasn't a villain. It was an uneasy alliance to fight the rebel Jem'Hadar. He came off as sleezy in that episode (where he had far more screentime than Thanos has had so far), but he wasn't a villain. It was after he was killed off and replaced with the second Weyoun that he started to get a bit more depth as a character.

ETA: I think calling Thanos the big bad is misleading. He certainly is a big bad that they're slowly building to, but there are plenty of movies without him before and there will be other big threats after.

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Burt Macklin in space 10/10 - IGN. J/K, but really 11/10.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I was thinking about that Galactus, Magneto and Doctor Doom are all owned by other studios. I'd love to see the super powered Count Nefaria in an Avengers movie but I don't know who owns the rights to him. So for right now Thanos is the biggest threat they've got so they can't use him too early on.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, obviously they haven't used him too early, waiting for the third Avengers movie to really use him at all. But Ultron will be pretty big before that. After that? I don't know. Maybe Kang the Conqueror.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

There's no reason to think Thanos won't play a major part in GOTG 2.