The Strain (Guillermo del Toro's New FX Summer Show)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ro_Laren, Feb 3, 2014.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ So it only gets worse from here? :(

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like how they're slowly building up the vampire transformations, rather than just have then pop up as vampires.
    I do agree the second episode was kind of slow, but I thought this one was a lot more interesting.
    I thought the scene with the Eichhorst in the beginning was cool.
    Bolivar's loss was pretty crazy.
    Eph and Nora's encounter with the plane's captain at the end was cool, and makes me think that things should really start to pick up now.
    I'm curious exactly how the stuff with the rats ties into the vampires. I'm wondering if this is just a case off animals sensing danger and running away or if there is going to be more to it than that.
    I'm curious why Eichorst seems to be fully conscious, while the other vampires appear to be just mindless killing machines.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm guessing it has something to do with how he became a vamp.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

http://collider.com/the-strain-interview-guillermo-del-toro-carlton-cuse

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well in my opnion, other views are available.

6. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

What gets me the most is just trying to imagine that if I were one of a handful of survivors of a planeload of people who died, I was in quarantine for a time and then I started suffering some symptoms like . . . loss of hair, general pain and aches, hearing voices, losing teeth, blood in the eyes and mouth and genitalia falling off I sure as hell wouldn't be AVOIDING the hospital at all costs.

No, no . . . I'd much rather be around my family because if it were a contagion I'd like them to go with me. Riiiiiighhht!!!

Maybe Bolivar I can buy it from since he seems a bit paranoid, secretive and single but the two with families??? Like no one bothers to say, "You know what? You look like death, your eyes are blood red and your teeth are falling out . . . if you don't go to the hospital on your own I'm calling an ambulance!" instead of "Gosh hun, you look like a zombie . . . why don't you take a nap?"

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Careful. That's not a popular attitude around here. ;)

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Onviously those other views are wrong!

(Better?) ;)

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

At least this show tries to be interesting... I'm sticking with it for now...

A shitload of shit!

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The latest episode was a step down from the last one, although this one had plenty of good moments.

The revelation of Ansel's transformation was eerie and effective, although his wife was starting to get a little annoying. I'm surprised Jim revealed he allowed the coffin to leave the airport. I wasn't expecting that reveal until bit later in the season. By the episode's end, it seems like the main trio has broken apart, which will be interesting given the upcoming episodes. I understand why Dr. Martinez was freaked out by the little girl, but what was she expecting to happen? Setrakian saved her life. After the shock wore off, I was expecting her to get over it.

As a scientist, I understand wanting to save people... but still. I guess I should think more from her perspective, since in her mind this is really happening. A vampirism virus could be pretty shocking and scary to even the commoner, although you would think as a CDC official she would understand the reality and gravity of the situation. I just wasn't expecting her to up and abandon Eph and Setrakian, although I know she'll be back so my complaining is basically useless. Haha.

It's been a while since I've read the first book, but I think we're about to the end of the first novel in the series chronology - although I can't be sure. I wish the show picked up the pacing a little, but I understand the slow burn. I expect things to pick up with the next episode given what I suspect happens next.

11. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Not quite
    Gus and the exterminator have to more to do first

12. sojourner

Feeding the asshole neighbor to her husband was definitely a Stephen King moment.

Yeah, Dr. Martinez' reaction was way over the top considering the character had just gotten done helping to kill and dissect one of these things already. After all, she was the one to give Setrakian some credit to begin with. You'd think she would have been able to handle the situation.

Having her go all "this is not happening" just didn't ring true to the character. So much so that they had to lampshade it with Setrakian's comment of "some people can't adjust". ugh.

13. sojourner

You don't have to be Buffy to realize that thing they dissected was no longer human.

14. KGator

Yeah, I questioned the whole . . . "Oh sir, you are right. Can you go in the shed and train my dog?" dialog working in real life. Then the neighbor is clearly startled by what he sees in the shed and is leaning back while the wife slowly pushes him in the shed. Not some quick, jolting thrust that takes him by complete suprise but a several second push. I guess she just "overpowered" him despite his natural adrenaline and all. She must be small but "wirey". ;)

I also agree. It seemed like quite a switch. She went from the most open to what Setrakian had to say to completely refusing to participate on "moral" grounds.

Yeah, there must be some way to save them. You know, use our advanced genetic technology to reverse the changes???? WTH??? Seriously? Sometimes people survive illnesses and diseases but end up pretty damaged by the process. I'm wondering what kind of quality of life these people would have if they could kill the "virus".

I mean, despite the fact that with their whole organ system being dismantled and rearranged they'd probably just die anyways. Martinez went from the most open minded to living in fantasy land in the span of a few hours. I guess she opened her mind TOO much.

I still like the show mind you. Because compared to ridiculous shows like Destiny and Falling Skies it seems like a historical reenactment.

15. KGator

I was hoping to see more Fet this episode. I'm interested to see his character. Usually Kevin Durand gets stuck with bad guys, its good to see him in a different role.

The wife was a bit weird. I tried to imagine if my wife seemed to be turning into some kind of weird monster and . . . I love her and all but . . . The kids and I are going to get the f**k out of Dodge. I'll sign the divorce paperwork after the Air Force drops napalm on my house.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Things are definitely starting to pick up. I'm curious to see how long it will take to bring all of the characters together. I'm assuming they'll all be together at least by the end of the season.
    I do have to agree with you guys about Dr. Martinez, her reaction did seem kind of weird, you'd think after the encounter with the changed pilot and the autopsy she'd be right there with Eph and Setrakian. I'm glad they at least had Eph realizing that they had to kill the vampires.
    The scene with Ansel's wife was pretty messed up.

17. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Nora's reaction made no sense. I hope she realizes soon that she's a moron for crying murder.

Wow. I didn't expect that healthy secretary to be that deep in corporate pockets.

Eph has linked up with Setrakian! Yay!

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Nora's reaction was kinda dumb. Felt like it would have worked BEFORE they did that autopsy, but felt kinda forced afterwards. And the girl was attacking the same way, didn't really look human anymore, should have felt like more of the same vice some new horrible thing.

Show is ok so far, but I guess I want things to fall apart faster. Less vampire hunter, more post-apocalypse action. Don't go all the way to Walking Dead where it's all done and don't bother discussing it, but let's skip ahead to pockets of survivors vice just vampire of the week...

I like The Passage better in that regard. We get glimpses of the fall, but after playing there a little, just skip way ahead to a new world to play in.

19. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Setrakien is older than I thought from that flashback unless the show isn't taking place in 2014. If it is 2014 it went back 70 years to 1944 and he was at least a teenager.

So that puts him in his 80s. Probably mid 80s. Moving around pretty good and chopping heads at that age.

20. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I liked how we were actually shown Setrakian's past, but it bothers me that the scene is in English. It should be in German with English subtitles.