If STNG were remastered...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jun 20, 2008.

1. trentman359

trentman359 Commander Red Shirt

You can't tell me that the Battle of Yavin was a step backwards!

2. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be cool to see new versions of the reused matt-paintings. Angel One, Darwin Research Institute... Also different locations on Qo'noS, Cardassia...Earth!

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn right I would. And I don't consider the Star Wars SE's to be backwards. I *prefer* them.

4. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People once thought colorizing b&w movies was a great idea. So don't worry, time will prove us purists right.:techman:

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was once a purist about colorizing, until I saw the BD of 20 Million Miles to Earth. I actually preferred the new colorized version. The software has come a long way.

However, I'd probably be more anal about "A" pictures like Citizen Kane, Rebecca, etc.

Doug

6. Tactical Drone

Tactical Drone Captain Captain

It would need a bit of work from the CGI Enterprise D in "These Are the Voyages..." If they do a lot of work on it and make it look the equivalent of the new 1701 from TOS-R, then I'd go for it. It looked a bit off in TATV.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The show's first few seasons are badly in needed of a clean up, even TOS looks better. However the later seasons look fine as they are.

8. Tactical Drone

I've said it many times, PLEASE get rid of those damn 80's green computer screens in the earlier episodes. I think they've made color screens in 400 years!!!

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

What about those screens in the first four movies - clearly made on an old BBC Micro.

10. Tactical Drone

Do you happen to have a screenshot? I can't seem to remember how they looked, but they had to have been better than 80's green screens.. :)

11. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think this might be what he was referring to:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x03/nakednow052.jpg

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

They don't need a "clean up", the compositing technologies were light years ahead of TOS. STNG could never look worse than TOS.. What they DO need is an upgrade for HD. Therefore there is NO point in discussing which FX need to be done, they ALL do.

RAMA

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

What on Earth are you talking about?? The green LCARS screen still look hi-tech! What does it matter what color they are? Green just happens to be my favorite color, but STNG also used many different colors for the computer displays. I don't see how that makes it look "80s" unless you're referring to DOS.

RAMA

14. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It was more this sort of stuff I was thinking about. Star Trek III is the worst offender.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twok/ch14/twok1138.jpg
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twok/ch1/twok0010.jpg
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/Tomalak1985/sfs1.jpg
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/Tomalak1985/sfs2.jpg
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/Tomalak1985/sfs3.jpg

See that? That's the future that is.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If all they were going to do was replace all the Excelsiors, Mirandas and Oberths with CGI models of the same ships, then why even bother?

The only episode I'd want remastered would be "Best of Both Worlds, Pt. II," if only so we can finally see new CGI models of all 40 starships that were destroyed (or perhaps "Redemption" as well, so we could see all 20-odd ships in Picard's tachyon detection grid). I could care less about seeing new visual effects for any other TNG episode.

16. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

17. Bosch571

Bosch571 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Because they did the sfx of TNG (just like DS9 and VOY) on video, so you can’t make a HD version of them without redoing the effects, at least if you want them to look decent.

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Isn't that sort of the point?

19. Nerdius Maximus

Well, it does look '80s, because it was an '80s show! I don't understand this fascination everyone has with trying to make everything look "new." I want to see the shows I grew up with when I watch TNG. They're a snapshot of that particular moment in time. I don't want to watch "Encounter at Farpoint" and be reminded that it's 2008, for fuck's sake.

20. Nerdius Maximus

All of those are awesome. Redo them and in ten years that will seem laughable, too. What's the point? All this "improving" reminds me of the scene from Batman(1989)where the Joker is vandalizing all the paintings in the art museum.