BLURAY hype

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JesterFace, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

How interested are you of the new format? Honestly, I'm not.

We haven't had Star Trek on DVD for that long, I'm not that interested in these new ones... I feel it's just something that will be replaced at some point by even superior format. So for now, I'm going to keep watching my DVDs and see how much better the next version is. Also, it's a lot of money spent on TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR and ENT DVDs...

Kind of like PlayStations, I might be getting old but I still can play and watch DVDs with PS2, PS4 is coming so I've skipped 3... maybe I'll wait for PS5? Same thing with VHS - DVD - bluray - ???

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly I am VERY interested in getting the series in the best possible quality. To watch a DVD on a 50+ HDTV verses a Blu-Ray on the same; there is a world of difference. The additional detail that you can see to me is well worth the price (of each new format).

When it comes out on 4K I will be waiting.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

This. There is a big difference from DVD to Blu-ray. That's as far as I'll go, though. I don't see 4K being in my future.

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The special features on the TNG and Enterprise Blu-rays have been excellent, well worth the purchases.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love my Blu-ray's. A gigantic leap forward from DVD if one is concerned with picture and audio quality.

6. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Blu-ray all the way. The quality of the TOS and TNG Blu-rays is absolutely stunning! Even if a more superior format does come along, I'm perfectly happy with the current one.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There is a flaw in your logic.

Any new format such as 4K would require another remastering to that level for example TNG was remastered at 2K suitable for HD. There is no guarantee taht they would do that.

Hasn't ST been out on DVD for over a decade so I would hardly say it's not been around that long.

Good luck playing PS3 games on the PS4 or 360 games on the X-Box One as they are incompatable.

Have you seen TNG remastered?

If not a comparison

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZQetJVRu0I[/yt]

Since I got myself a blu-ray I haven't looked back, the picture quality is vastly superior. Once you've gone to Blu-Ray you'll think how did I ever manage with DVD.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm on dvds currently (bought my first one around 2008), and still have old vhs tapes I sometimes watch. I have no interest in converting to Blu-Ray but that's primarily due to financial reasons. If I were making the kind of money I was in the 1980s, I'd be on board for sure. Back then I would drop $400 on a vcr without thinking about it if one broke down. These days, I can't afford the cost of having to buy a new tv, sound system, player, and finally a disk to even consider it.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That's fair enough Melakon, I upgraded to DVD from VHS some 12 years ago and to blu-ray about 3 years ago.

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It's just economics for me. My only income is disability, and that's about a third of what I made in 1990. I loved watching television for decades, but I can't pick up even local channels now.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm sure 4K will be great. But I'm with you, I'm not sure with my eyesight that I would get much out of it.

12. Daveros

Daveros Ensign Newbie

I'm not a Star Trek fan, it was something my family used to watch that never interested me, save for what I saw of DS9 (I enjoyed the Wallace Shawn ones hugely when they were on), but I picked up TNG S1 on Blu-ray on a whim after hearing about its very successful remaster.

I am now, for the first time, actually watching everything and enjoying it. I have all the TNG, ENT, TOS and Films on Blu-ray and am (slowly) making my way through. I joined this board to read about TNG S1 audio issues and only posted originally because I wanted to add my support to the DS9 on Blu-ray thread.

I do want DS9 on Blu, I want to watch it properly and enjoy again the episodes I remember watching with my family. If they don't release it, I am not going to bother with the DVDs - it'll just remain where it is now to me, nostalgia. HD is the only thing that caught my attention, and the only reason I am here today.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought overall the special features on the DVDs were crap, so when I saw the TNG season 1 special features, that was the selling point to get the blu rays. I also like the clear images and better sound, but if DS9 and Voyager goes to blu ray, I hope we get special features that are of TNG quality. I love behind the scenes stuff with my favorite shows and I'm sure there are so many great behind the scenes stuff that DS9 and VOY could provide.

Another reason to get DS9 is my DVD sets are already falling apart. Whoever decided to put those together did a shitty job and hopefully the Blus will rectify that problem.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

While Blu-ray looks nice, I only buy it for new purchases, I rarely double-dip on something I already own on DVD. Although, I'm not opposed to getting double-dipped Blu-rays as gifts.

As far as Trek goes, the only Blu-ray I bought was STID, while I got all three seasons of TOS as gifts.

15. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Sometimes they're a little too good, as in being able to see imperfections and mistakes that you never would have noticed during the original first-run broadcast, or the reruns on your old NTSC set.

16. bbailey861

That's exactly my reason as well, the eyesight. I was in a Sony Store looking at the 4K TVs. Yes, it was very good, but the difference between that and Blu-ray, IMHO, was negligible. I'm in my 50s now and my eyesight will only continue to get worse as the years fly by.

17. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I wouldn't exactly call Bluray a new format. It has been around for something like 10 years now.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Given how good BRs look on 50-60" tvs, I think 4K is only going to be significant if you've got a 75-100" set.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

100" sounds great. :)

20. bbailey861

Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.