Last time you had something dry-cleaned?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I was with a friend this week as she dropped some clothes off at the dry-cleaners. I tried to think of the last time I had something drycleaned. it would have been many years ago and most likely was a winter coat.

What about you?

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I never had that done :lol:

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I am not convinced dry cleaning actually does anything.

Anybody got proof either way ?

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Last Christmas. I think it's the only time of year I send my two good blouses out to be dry cleaned.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Last week, I dropped off my winter overcoats, a couple of suits and a blazer or two.

6. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I have winter coats and sweaters that are dry-clean only, and window drapes that are dry-clean only. I've hand washed all of them in the wettest water I could find and they're all fine.

7. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^As opposed to dry water, eh? ;)

Of course. I've had stains removed plenty of times. I also had a visibly-mildewed sweater dry-cleaned, and it came out perfectly. No more white stuff, no more mildew odor.

And to answer the original question: last week.

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

When I was working in an office environment where men were expected to wear pressed button down shirts, I sent mine out for dry cleaning all the time. Some cleaners are better than others (with one my shirts wouldn't last more than a few rounds, but with the last one I used the shirts seemed to last longer than normal). My tip is to be sure to always wear undershirts, even in the hotter months--that helps extend their lifespan.

With suits, if you wear good quality undergarments and have lined pants, you can go quite a while without dry cleaning them... also depending upon how much you perspire during the day (obviously summer months aren't friendly to suits, especially the pants).

9. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Last week. Took a suit in. I do have my dress shirts laundered weekly, with a light starch.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was definitely sometime before I had kids (which puts it at least 24 years ago). "Dry-clean only" and little ones don't mix. :D

12. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess I never have. I remember going with my mom to drop off and pick up the dry cleaning about once a month or so, but it was only for my dad's uniforms (police officer). But at some point they either stopped caring, made more durable uniforms, or had a better washing machine because after I was about 12 or so I don't remember them using a dry cleaner anymore.

I liked our local dry cleaner because kids got free lollipops!

As for my own clothes, I don't really own anything that fancy. I usually wear nice sweaters and some slacks to work, but they are all machine washable. There are a select few items that I used to hand wash, but it was too much work for items that I don't really care about replacing that much, so now I just throw everything in the washing machine and dryer. I own a couple of dresses that I've worn once, but they haven't needed washing yet.

13. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Whenever I go to Vegas. I usually get everything comped at the hotel, so I figure why not get some free dry cleaning done. Besides, the only dry cleaning business near me closed shop years ago.

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My dad's pants a few months ago.

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The only things I have that need to be dry-cleaned are couple of jackets and a few pairs of dress slacks, which I only wear to job interviews, court appearances, weddings and funerals. The last time I had any of them cleaned was years ago.

(To be honest, I've never attended a funeral.)

BTW, trying to save a few bucks on dry cleaning by washing clothes at home with gasoline is extremely dangerous! (Really, did people actually do that?)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59HkjNDaMNE[/yt]

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

There probably were people just that stupid.

Man, that thing has as many explosions as a Michael Bay movie...

17. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Probably less than a year ago, I took all of my husband's shirts and suits in for a cleaning. It was actually not that expensive. I don't take my clothes in for dry cleaning, only Indian outfits occasionally.

18. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Last October I think. I had my summer suits and jackets dry-cleaned before putting them away for the winter. I haven't dry-cleaned my winter suits and blazers yet, the weather is still crazy.

Sometimes I think about dry-cleaning my shirts, but then the hassle of taking them out and picking them up later seems to be more than just washing and ironing them myself.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't own any dry clean items anymore.

Though I read somewhere, long ago, that it makes velour Starfleet uniforms shrink.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Summer suits ? Winter suits ? Blazers ?

I don't understand - when are an Iron Maiden T-shirt and jeans not acceptable ? ;)

I actually do own a suit - I've worn it to work once to surprise them, to one wedding (I was best man) and to three funerals, none of which were mine...