Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One wonders what the refractory period is for a super-powered Kryptonian. Maybe Alanah Rae knows.

If someone doesn't want to call attention to every aspect of their physique the appropriate answer is not to wear a skin-hugging outfit to begin with.

The only explanation for wearing these kinds of outfits that makes real psychological sense is Farmer's; ie, that it's a sexual fetish for these guys. Since no one associated with these properties will ever go there, we're stuck with a variety of less plausible, highly arguable rationales.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Watchmen.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Okay, almost nobody will go there. ;)

I liked the bit in Watchmen where one of the Minutemen was reminiscing about their early adventures in a letter to another, and wrote something like "remember the guy we kept interfering with until we realized that he wasn't really trying to get away with his crimes but just enjoyed being beaten up by men in costumes?" :lol:

4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

As for "is it's purpose really to stand out": Of course, it is. If it wasn't supposed to stand out, he'd wear something else. Even if it's about the material being indestructable, he could've made something more associated with day-to-day life out of it than tights and a cape.

Even from the creator's perspective, there is no essential reason for giving him such a costume other than for him to stand out. In 1938, there was nothing like Superman. He wasn't the usual comics hero, who back then were detectives, soldiers, pilots, cowboys and stuff. He was something else entirely, so to get that across right away, he had to wear something that stood apart from detectives, soldiers, pilots and cowboys.

And the colors helped at that. Red and blue are primary colors, and there's a reason why primary colors are on almost any nation's flag: They stand out. They are easily recognizable. They are immediately associated with something which they are supposed to stand for.

And, now that I think about it, there is one more thing Superman's costume is supposed to do which also applies to flags. They are supposed to inspire. And muting these colors isn't inspiring at all. See for yourself.

Bright:
    [​IMG]

Muted:
    [​IMG]

Muted colors look grim, not inspiring. At least, I think so. And I like my Superman to be inspiring. Sure, he can be made to inspire through his actions in the new movie, but that won't be underlined by his costume. As far as I see it, the new movie's costume hampers Superman's purpose to inspire, and that's a big minus.

Even so, I'm still looking forward to this movie.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The idea that this guy isn't going to stand out in a crowd or serve as a source of inspiration, just because the blue is a little more muted than usual, just seems ridiculous to me.

Besides, this is Zack Snyder we're talking about. There's no way this Superman isn't going to look bold and dynamic as hell on screen. That's the one aspect I'm NOT too concerned about with this movie.

6. Myasishchev

"Whatever happened to him?"
    "Well, he tried on Rorschach, and Rorschach dropped him down an elevator shaft."

7. Admiral Buzzkill

This is a conclusion you've come to - possibly based on an explanation provided at some point somewhere in the history of the comic - but simply because the logic of it satisfies you doesn't make it so. It's not a fact, not even within the fictional continuity, which anyone has to accept as a premise and reason from.

It doesn't convince me one bit, for the reasons I explained before, and therefore doesn't matter.

Superman dresses in the costume that he does because the kids who created him wanted him to dress that way. There's no other real reason for it. The most likely explanation is simply that they were presenting him in four-color comic format, aiming the stories at youngsters, and wanted to take full advantage of the available palette.

Any "in-story" rationale was constructed later. One is as good as another. The most plausible - even in its silliness, it makes the most sense - is that his costume had to be of Kryptonian origin for him to not wind up flouting his junk, as Joe Zhang puts it, every time he blocks an explosion with his body or something. :lol:

But that's just what makes the most sense to me. I buy it more than "he wants to stand out (okay, I don't buy that one at all)." You prefer the "look at me!" explanation. That's fine. Jumping from "this is what I prefer to believe" to "what the filmmakers are doing doesn't make sense/is wrong because they're not taking into account the character's reason for dressing that way" is a non-starter.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I should have been a bit clearer - I was wondering why people are using the word junk rather than genitals.

Dennis's wider point however is bang on the money - he's a big lad and isn't shy.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man came across as a pretty damn inspiring character in the Raimi movies, and that blue was much darker than this-- and much darker than it often appeared in the comics as well. In fact Spidey's costume has probably gone through as many different shades of blue over the years as Superman's has.

The idea that people can ONLY be inspired by a superhero costume where every color is as bold and intense as can be just... makes no sense to me.

Raimi understood, as Snyder does, that having the same intensity of colors next to each other would just look too loud and garish in live action. One or the other has to be toned down a bit.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus Christ, does it matter?

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, it matters greatly - it's a vitally important matter, one of national importance - you seem angry, do genitals scare you?

Anyway, let's get back to the matter at hand - Superman - cut or not?

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kai "the spy", while I can't speak for the other flags, and I'm not going to take the time to research your post, I can tell you definitely that the colors you have labeled as "Bright" for the flag of the United States are not the colors that are officially required for the flag when it is used by the U.S. federal government.

Scientific color matching requires properly calibrated equipment and careful control of many factors. The colors given at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States#Colors derive from specifications approved by the General Services Administration, and you can see its reference chain there. I checked part of that chain and it appears to be valid. Besides the codes derived directly from the GSA-approved specification, the Pantone Approximations are particularly noteworthy, because the codes provided for them are from government sources and they are explicitly designed for display on the Internet.

In any case, when used by the U.S. federal government, the colors of the flag of the United States are supposed to be considerably more muted than the colors you label in your post as "Bright". I believe this undermines a large part of your argument.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Clearly Superman's penis is of paramount importance.

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Here is a new pic..I really love this suit and that cape is very cool.

[​IMG]

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a fantastic shot!

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The new suit is pretty cool.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I thought that was a fan manip?

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess he could be jewish.

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

It was on Nuke the Fridge.com so I am not sure.

20. Myasishchev

I like to think that Jonathan Kent's Jewish, but Martha's not, and forbid it, and on reflection Jonathan agreed it was unnecessary.

...I am a horrible monster and I pray for death.