TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Today I learned that the free cat liter I got from my mom does absolutely NOTHING to diminish the smell of cat pee.

:ack:

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    All the best cat litter that squelches the smell of cat pee and poo costs ten bucks or more a container. I don't buy it. I get the five or six dollar scoopable stuff...it's not the best on the market and you can't avoid some odors, but it's far preferable to old-style gravel litter.

When a cat kicks gravel litter out of his or her box it looks like somebody detonated a plaster statue with high explosives.

3. auntiehill

Yeah, it was the old gravely kind. As soon as I change this box out, I'll go get some scoopable. I think the Tidy Cat--the one with the red stripe (24hr odor control, I think?)--was the best that I'd tried.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I always get Tidy Cat with the light blue stripe. I think it's the one for "multiple cats." Even though I only have one cat, she may as well be pooping for 4.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

TIL that I'm not the only one who thinks this is the best kitty litter. I try to stock up when it's on sale at Target, so it isn't too expensive.

6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Before my cat discovered the big open-air litter-box she had one in my bathroom -with litter made from compacted sawdust!

It smells better (especially when wet!) and is lighter, important when you have to carry all your shopping in hands or on a bike :)

7. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

TIL (here) that one of Queen Elizabeth's dogs, a corgi/dachshund mix, is named... Vulcan! Fascinating.

8. cooleddie74

TIL that having your pet beagle sleep next to your head is a bad thing when she has dreams and jerks her limbs.

9. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TIL that rotten potatoes smell like dead hermit crabs.

10. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

And I learned that dead hermit crabs smell like rotten potatoes.

11. auntiehill

Today (yesterday, actually), I learned that my Christmas is going to suck, which makes me sad. I seem to be the only one who has any holiday spirit and everyone makes me feel stupid for it.

*sigh*

12. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Come spend Christmas with me, then, Auntie! You deserve to be surrounded by secular Christmas Spirit-filled lunatic nerds! Seriously, if you need an escape and can make it to Seattle, you are welcome :)

13. auntiehill

Hell, if I could, I'd MOVE to Seattle.

14. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    This...
    thanks to this interesting thread. I was curious about that expression 'dogtown'.

15. cooleddie74

TIL that I'm probably starting to come down with the flu bug that's been going around and is currently plaguing the country. Great.

16. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that cooleddie. I hope you recover quickly!

17. cooleddie74

Thanks. If I am indeed coming down with the bug that's going around it might not last very long. I have a tendency to catch the flu, sweat and moan for a few days while it barrages my system and then I'm back to being as good as new.

18. auntiehill

Today, I learned that hubby is a terrible shopper. I asked him to pick me up some Saltines, and he brought home Ritz. BAH.

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Today I Learned... that I "make better pizza than Pizza Hut" according to Mom's home health aide. I made pizza for us for lunch Sunday.

TIL also... a better way to make bread pudding. Mine was always too dry, but Mom's aide [who is also a family friend] was a professional pastry chef at Hershey's Chocolate. She has been teaching me baking skills while I teach her shortcuts to cooking other dishes. Her kids love those shortcuts, because they get to spend more time with her after work. I am a rather good cook, but my baking skills need improvement.

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TIL... I'm a softie for animals (well, knew that already), and there are some truly despicable people out there.

Two months ago, we had two cats and a dog. As of today, it's *four* cats and a dog, and I have a cat allergy! Okay, there's a threshold before it really starts affecting me, so hopefully we haven't hit it. Anyway, we had already adopted cat #3 a couple of months ago (wife went to grocery store, came home with cat and no groceries). But this morning on the way home from church, I spotted a very small kitten in the median of a major divided highway. I turned around and we picked it up, and it was obvious that someone had ditched that kitten there, likely from a moving vehicle! :mad: It's left hind quarters was skinned up badly, torn down to muscle, and its tail is probably broken since it just drags behind limp. We took it home and cleaned it up, and it took the poor thing a long time to stop shivering. It was likely stuck there for a couple of days after someone dumped it, judging from how hungry it was and how much the injury had healed. Don't know if it's a male or female yet since we don't want to hurt its rear any more, but I'll be taking it to the vet in the morning to get it fixed up. Yes, this is probably way too many cats for our house, but there is no way we're giving it up.

I'm glad I never saw whoever did this, because I'd likely toss *them* from a moving vehicle! After, of course, my wife got her chance to practice some of her martial arts training!