Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My wife was reading the other day while I was watching and finally she looked up and asked if the sound was suppose to be that way. I've tried changing audio settings on the discs, on the TV and have even went to a different TV/player in the house and had the same issue.

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess ignorant and simplistic would be a better choice of words.

-Chris

3. cbspock

I agree, the SD versions especially on DVD are unwatchable. Glad I sold my DVD set. For whatever reason the SD version of TNG always looked bad, it seems for the most part DS9 and VOY on DVD always looked better for the most part.

-Chris

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the commentary for Yesterday's Enterprise with Moore/Behr/Okudas.

They made a good point that I hadn't realized. The way they bring attention to Yar's meaningless death was a pretty bold statement about the earlier writing staff. I'm surprised they got away with that.

5. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I honestly had no issues with the way Tasha died. It was realistic. She died in the line of duty on a routine mission. It happens. I much prefer my Trek that way instead of over the top bravado. Our lives aren't always punctuated by a triumphant gesture at our death. My wife's uncle died in his sleep...her father passed away in the passenger seat of a car from a heart attack while her Mom rushed him to the hospital. They weren't saving a bus load of helpless people, or freeing a society from slavery, they just lived until they didn't.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nonsense, what the episode said is that terrorism is much more complex than it is made out to be by nationalist agendas. IE:9/11 is a horrible act, but may have been mitigated if everyone had taken a less hardline approach to the situation in the Middle East. There had to be some sort of compromise that could have been reached decades before that would have kept fundamentalists from hating the US. Just in case you think this is impossible, look at the metaphor of the Northern Ireland situation, seemed intractable at the time, but solved decades before it was predicted in STNG. We are also now seeing many hints of change in the Middle East.

RAMA

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yup. I totally agree with that.

8. cbspock

Change for the worse. Muslim radicals running wild and now unchecked, Sometimes you can't compromise with the other side they just have to lose especially when they won't compromise to begin with, but that is a conversation for another thread. No need to hijack this one for it.

-Chris

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I agree as well. I thought bringing Crosby back as alternate-Yar/Sela only cheapened the sacrifice the character made in season one.

10. Casas9425

Casas9425 Lieutenant Red Shirt

There is a lot of criticism toward Gene Roddenberry in the bonus material. Ira Behr and Ron Moore take several shots at Roddenberry.

11. cbspock

The way he viewed the "TNG verse" was bad for TV Drama. I think that is where a lot of their criticism comes from. I think it is deserved. People will have conflicts it is in our nature. People are not always going to agree, we aren't a bunch of drones.

-Chris

12. Casas9425

Casas9425 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed.

13. cbspock

That is the one thing I never understood, if no one questions the way things are done, then the society would be stagnant. No one would look for new ways to do things. It would be a cage we would live in. Funny how Gene turned into Landru when he got old His world view was everything the original series fought against. :p

-Chris

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trek improved twice when Roddenberry took a step back. First, it was the movies after The Motion Picture, and then it was TNG after season 2.

He set things up nicely, but the restrictions hurt its future. Once writers could write without Roddenberry's "box", the show was better able to connect with the audience.

My favorite Trek is DS9, which is just about as anti-Roddenberry as you can get.

15. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also when Gene Coon came in during the first season of Trek, he added a lot of depth to the characters and the universe.

Roddenberry set up the framework, and others filled in the gaps.

16. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

FYI: This was called out a couple of pages back, it's an original production mistake made back in 1990, it's nothing CBS-D did wrong.
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=8038765&postcount=749

17. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree about Yar's original death. It was wrenching and effective.

However, I did like seeing her again in YE. It gave us a more warm-n-fuzzy resolution to her character.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. While I understand the frustration of the writers, I've personally always loved the respectful, mature, and professional way the TNG characters acted around each other-- and how there weren't the kind of petty disagreements and soap opera nonsense like we see on every other show.

They could certainly argue and disagree about the moral quandary of the week (which they did quite a LOT on TNG), but that's about as far as I would have wanted them to take it.

19. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Certainly. However, it seems even that was a touchy thing with Gene. He didn't even like too much of that.

For example characters like Capt. Jellico or Adm. Pressman could have never been used while he was alive.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish they would have ended Nemesis with a call back to this episode. It would have worked for me as a finale for the TNG crew better than what the movie actually did. I get this sense that they didn't do it because it wasn't mainstream enough, and that's a shame.