(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Leicester has supposedly signed Nugent on a free, though I can't find official confirmation of this. Hopefully this means Sven will let us have Waghorn...

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser

:wtf: *hangs head in shame*

FA you are whores.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ another nail in the poor old cup's coffin.

Carling Cup draw was rubbish too.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You sound surprised. and haven't they sponsered it before? Or was the the Prem?

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Bud never sponsered the PL itself though I think they do the FA Premier League fantasy football :lol:

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah, given the involvement of other firms, I don't see that Budweiser is any worse than, say Carling?

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wish Disney would sponsor the League Cup - then it would finally be outed as the micky mouse competition that we all know it is! :lol:

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd still love to win it though!

9. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Aston Villa seem determined to both struggle and alienate fans by appointing Alex McLeish as their manager. Strange appointment.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well it is and it isn't. He is a good manager, and frankly I think the Villa fans are partly to blame. They kicked up such a stink when Lerner even thought of interviewing McClaren that he decided against it. This didn't leave many other options given that Martinez turned them down, aside from Hughes who Lerner seems to have already discounted. Fan power was never going to work more than once, and the Villa fans shot their wad at the wrong time. Reminds me of the time Sunderland fans treated PEter Reid abomninably and then cheered when they got him out...and then a well past his sell by date Howard Wilkinson turned up...

I think both Lerner and O'Neill need to look at themselves and ask why they didn't make it work, because the debacle of last summer did neither Lerner, MON or Villa any favours.

I hate to say it but Forest's gain is Villa's loss...

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Villa fans are some of the worst IMO they began to hound O Neill for finishing in the top 7 :rolleyes: Villa are not a big club they need to get over it.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG U21 were minutes away from going though but crash out 2-1 :rolleyes: same old story lack of ability on the ball and we had way more of it like 60%ish. I look at that team and I see...

Walker
    Jones
    Smalling
    Bertrand
    Rodwell

Only players that probably can make it along with the likes of Carroll, Wilshere, Lennon, Gibbs & Richards who were eligable but didn't take part.

Bertrand needs to leave Chelsea if only on loan though because hes better than Gibbs but need games, while Gibbs need to actually be able to walk FAR TOO injury prone already at 20 years of age. Also Rodwell needs to stay fit and realise his potential because he's come off the track lately AND Henderson is just plain poor, Liverpool have been robbed.

ENG future looks strong for defence and ok for Wingers and strikers but lack of cover in the goalkeeper department is worrying and a MASSIVE problem is middle of the park, the lack of real ability to do anything is a problem. Wilshere cannot run a midfield on his own, he needs one quality attacking and one defensive minded player(s) with him.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest linked with ex Derby "Giles Barnes" who once had a promising career before injury. You can tell upon hearing this some Forest fans edited Wikipedia because his personal info reads...

Giles "sheepshagging" Barnes
    5th August 1666 (age 344)
    25 ft 9 in
    Born in Lapland

oh and the Derby County Wiki entry reads...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_shaggers_F.C.

;)

14. Angel4576

If Giles Barnes is the kind of player that McClown's looking to bring in at Forest then I'd be more than concerned I think. He's never been the same player since he was injured by Carl Dickinson, was shagged before he left us, and from what I've heard he's still struggling.

Upon hearing the news, most Derby fans appear to be 'very pleased'........ :lol:

15. HappyDayRiot

Did he ever kick a ball for Fulham or West Brom?

We're stealing half the SPL from under Rangers' noses. Quite a fun approach to the transfers season!

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

We got rid of Barnes because medical advice said he wouldn't regain his fitness, Birmingham passed for the same reason before WBA took him-he played 2 games for them I think. Bearing in mind Hogson at once point was interested as he took him on loan to Fulham...and never played him, then got rid of him at Brom. Speaks volumes.

Shame, when fit, and on his day, he had so much potential but injury and, so I hear, ego have basically ruined him.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Despite the rumors of Barnes it looks the first signings of the summer are set to be...

I would be very happy with both of them especially Andy returning to Forest. Looks like we won't get a return of Bertrand because he looks set to remain in the PL to gather experience and join Swansea on loan.

Also Arsenal look set to break their club record for Juan Mata at a rumored £18 million, I have to admit I really like Mata ever since I first saw him but I have doubts over Wenger would spend so much on him.

18. Angel4576

Interesting signing for Arsenal.

Odd though, if he's going to spend that amount of money then you'd think he'd be trying to sort the defence out. Perhaps they're expecting Arshavin to leave.

19. HappyDayRiot

Arsenal will not pay £18m. No chance.

Andy Reid, eh? Is he still any good? He did next to nothing for Blackpool last season and couldn't get into the Sunderland side. He was on fire for about two months the season before though.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I see it's time for Tevez's annual "I want to leave!" song and dance...