(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think the different threads has run its course and theres no real need for it anymore, now that we have a pure sport section so the threads are in no real danger of disappearing amongst the dozens and dozens of threads we used to have back when it was in the Miscellaneous section.

So this thread is designed to talk about the UEFA side of football for us Europeans and fans of football this side of the world and will last hopefully till at least end of May when the major football leagues end there seasons along with the finals of the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League. I will stick up a different thread come end of May for EURO 2008 as well.

Best way to start is the upcoming FINAL 8 - CL fixtures which are due to play there 1st legs tonight and tommorow...

Roma vs. Man Utd
    Schalke vs. Barcelona
    Arsenal vs, Liverpool
    Fenerbache vs. Chelsea

Personally I still feel that Man Utd will win the CL but will most likely only get a draw tonight against ROMA (1-1)

Barcelona should walk over the germans and win both legs fairly comfortable but there form is patchy lately with only 1 win in 7 games.

Arsenal and Liverpool is a close one to call but I do feel the London club should be too strong for Liverpool. I think Arsenal will lose the away leg but should win the 1st home leg by a decent enough score to get through to the semi final.

I don't think Chelsea will win in Turkey but there home form should see them through.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

A little bit of breaking news...

3. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

They won't be demoted, but may lose six points if found guilty, which will never happen anyway. There is an on-going rumour about Porto fixing games since the early 90's. However, only now, after a former prostitute that was the loved of the club's president, blab out some shenanigans to the cops, after he dumped her. It's a soap opera... :lol:

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well I must say despite letting Roma have more of the ball at times, apart from a 10 minute spell, Utd defence was fantastic and Ferdinand was world class. Rooney did very well and was a big part of the Ronaldo goal and of course he scored the 2nd.

Also a great idea by Fergie to let Rooney play on the flank to provide better defensive coverage and I still feel finally Man Utd will once again win the CL after 9 year wait.

Cannot wait for tonights match as well...

Arsenal vs. Liverpool

5. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man Utd. vs Liverpool in Moscow will be UEFA's worst nightmare. Imagine 40,000 mancs in proximity with 40,000 scousers and a good fraction of them will be drunk. Let the party begin. :devil:

As I said before I want to see an Arsenal/Barcelona final now that Roma is out.

Unfortunately Barca is in trouble right now so I don't see them beating SAF's current squad (which is the best he had imo ever) unless Rio pulls a groin or something like that...

Arsenal should pick themselves up against Liverpool. Player by player Arsenal is just much better although Rafa's nous for the European nights may prove too much for Wenger to handle but we'll see.

If Chelsea wins the final then the Mourinho fanatics at Stamford Bridge will be owned again by Avram Grant. :techman:

Either way this has been another exciting Champions league season despite my team being knocked out early this time.

6. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Liverpool v. Arsenal.

Tough one tonight (leaving work mid day to watch it live). Despite Arsenal's performance over the weekend, I think that said as much about Bolton's sorry state of affairs as it does Arsenal's fight. Beating 'Pool three times over such a short period of time is a tall order for any team, but with two of the games at Emirates, where Arsenal don't lose, I think they can tip the scales in their favor.

My prediction:
    Arsenal 1 'Pool 0 (UEFA at Emirates)
    Arsenal 2 'Pool 1 (League at Emirates)
    Arsenal 2 'Pool 2 (UEFA at Anfield)

7. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

Superb strike from Fenerbahce's Devid tonight vs Chelsea - esp after he scored the own goal to give Chelsea the lead early on. Fair play to them for coming from behind to win - should be an interesting return leg.

Arsenal-Liverpool was a strange game - Arsenal had most of the possession and chances yet didn't seem to create quite enough. Unlucky not to get a penalty when Kuyt's arm wrapped around Hleb in the area, a surreal clearance from Bentner when a goal looked certain, and a couple of last ditch tackles thwarting the Arsenal attack.

That away goal for Liverpool (top work by Gerrard and a tireless Kuyt) may prove decisive - an early goal for either side next week should make the game very interesting :)

8. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Liverpool v. Arsenal
    The lack of penalty call was shocking. Rarely do you pick up the papers the next day and see them all agree a penalty was iron clad, but today they do.

I think Bendtner was not trying to get out of the way but trying to flick Cesc's ball into the net and got it all wrong. It may not matter in the end - even if he managed to jump over it, it may have still gotten the offside call.

Liverpool's away goal may very well prove decisive. But, as counterintuitive as this may sound, I am more comfortable with Arsenal chasing the away goal at Anfield. Coming from behind is something they seem to excel at, protecting a lead, not so much. The downside of course is Robin v. Persie has re-injured his thigh leaving attacking options limited again.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I quite enjoyed the Arsenal/Liverpool game but it was a clear penalty and for me Wenger should start Walcott in the 2nd leg. I feel Liverpool will win the tie though and probably make it to the final again.

10. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Part Two tomorrow.

We need a good win at the Emirates because I think Everton will kill Derby.

If all goes well, I hope for a Barca vs LFC final, with LFC winning #6

11. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I was shocked to see how tepid Roma were against Man Utd. Or maybe I shouldn't have been, given last season's 7-1 drubbing at Old Trafford?

It will be interesting to see how and if Chelsea overturns the 2-1 deficit to Fenerbahce. And unlike some pundits, I'm not counting Arsenal out yet. Liverpool have the away goal, but that tie is on a knife edge.

You can bet Platini is hoping that next week sees 3 English sides eliminated somehow. :lol:

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Not quite :p

13. Daedalus12

You guys still lost though. :p

14. sttngfan1701d

Derby looks on pace to obliterate Sunderland's all-time lowest Premiership points haul. Ouch. :lol:

15. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Derby are diabolical.

16. Daedalus12

I wonder if Starkers prefers them in the premiership losing most of their matches or in the Championship winning most of them. If I am a fan I think I'd prefer the latter.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal (5-3)...

That was a proper game of football and I loved it even more because my house mate is a Arsenal fan so he can stop having such a big ego now :devil:

Walcott's run was pure brilliance and after last week, it was a very ironic penalty but I felt Liverpool just had that little bit extra which Wenger fails to bring ou of his players in Europe and I think we will see a Liverpool/Man Utd FINAL.

18. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

A Liverpool - Man Utd final would be just perfect.

19. sttngfan1701d

Great game today between Arsenal and Liverpool. Arsenal started the hungrier side but let Liverpool back in, to be honest. And why Liverpool can't bring their European form to the Premiership I'll never know.

Assuming Man Utd dispatches Roma tomorrow, chances are looking better that an all-English final is on the cards. Personally I'd love to see it; I think it'd be miles better than the all-Italian snorefest of 2003. But I can see why the purists are against it....it does defeat the purpose of this competition.

I think there will be a Liverpool v. Barcelona final. I loathe Barca and I want to see them get their asses handed to them, but sides like them have a knack for surviving, and the Wunderkind in Perpetual Need of a Haircut (Messi) will surely conjure up something to see them past Man Utd in the semis, I think.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fantastic game. Probably the best all-English game in the Champions League so far.

Over the two legs there wasn't really a great to choose between the two sides, but probably, just about, Liverpool deserved it. They were more dogged in defence, and showed more focus in terms of not conceding right after they'd scored. Arsenal played some fantastic attacking/passing football in the first half an hour, but once Liverpool equalised, their fragile confidence came to the fore again. A shame really, as they've graced the competition again this season.

So, Liverpool Vs Chelsea. Again. Liverpool are probably better than in their previous meetings, and Chelsea possibly worse, so, watch Chelsea go and win now!

In the other one, it's looking like Man Utd Vs Barcelona, which potentially, could be another cracker.

Whichever way you look at it, we should get a decent final this year again.

Re Derby, Woeful. Even, as a Derby fan, I'll readily admit, that from memory, the current side must be the worst team to ever play in the Premier League, and proves what many people theorised at the end of last season, that really, we should never have come up.

I'm sure that Paul Jewell will make wholesale changes in the close season and over the summer. We have the money, we just need to offload the dead wood, of which, there is a considerable amount. Billy Davies certainly had an eye for spotting players that could perhaps overachieve in the Championship, but as far as the Premier League goes, he didn't have a clue. It's not all down to Davies though, there's plenty of blame to go around.

At the very least though, it could be worse. We're not Forest.....