Paradise, what should have happened to Alixus?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Feb 17, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Almost everyone I know of whos commented, SFdebris, Most other reviewers, etc, etc etc, etc etc, etc Seems to HATE what happened At the end of "Paradise

any ideas on what should have happened to Alixus?

Heres my theory.

They should have shoved her in the box, and welded it shut with a phaser, and listened to her screaming until she dies begging for Mercy... only open it up a week after she stops making noisem, to look at her fried corpse.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

She should spend the rest of her stinking miserable Luddite life in prison.

I actually would have expected at least one of the colonists to react with anger, shock and a feeling of being betrayed by Alixus' actions, and thus try and kill her out of revenge.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. WesleysDisciple

Closest thing we got was "you've lied to us!" from cassandra.... but Cassandra BOUGHT the whole "Yes but perhaps a lie can lead to a more important truth..." diatribe.

Oh heres a concern... Vinod I get the impression he'd have been a Minor when Alixus marooned them there.

That creates a question what to do with him... since any lawyer would cite brainwashing as a defense.

4. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Alixus is the leader, right? Well, that's simple. Arrest and try her for multiple counts of murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, sabotage of a starship, assault and battery, conspiracy to commit all of the above, and grand theft runabout. Oh, and failure to comply with Federation medical regulations for the vaccination of minors. Then once she's convicted you stick her in New Zealand or some other rehab/detention facility until she's no longer nuts.

5. WesleysDisciple

Curious how do you think Alixus would have reacted to everyone Spitting in her face, backhanding her, calling her a liar and a bitch?

especialy in response to her "what you've achieved here, has redefined your potential, the potential of man" BS. which to her credit, god knows she needs SOMETHING to her credit... she seemed sincere about.

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

What should have happened to her her is seeing her little community collapsing immediately. I wanted her victims to tell her "The only reason we lived in this jungle shithole is because we had no choice, do you think we're staying here where we saw people being tortured and dying from space mosquito bites? We're going home bitch!"

I also wanted Sisko to forcibly remove everyone who decided to stay because they were obviously suffering from Stockholm syndrome and were not capable of making a decision to stay in their prison, they needed therapy, not "OK, bye!".

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  7. WesleysDisciple

Couldnt agree more

Curious though how do you think shed have reacted to that

With outrage or a sorrowful "Then it seems I truly have done nothing, but waste your time, For that I am sorry"

I like to think sisko filed a report with starfleet who appeared within a day or two offscreen to GAther everyone up and force them through counseling.

The author was trying to seem even handed in the end I think to show that these people would NEVER have voluntarily gone through this, yet benefited in some obscure way from it from "Getting more in touch with their core nature" or some such BS...

Personally thats probaly better done with a crew that was marooned by circumstances then deliberately marooned for some insane sociologists theories.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Why not just leave her alone on her world.

In a civilisation witha population in the hundreds of billions if not close a trillion, she should have been able to find enough people to form the tech free colony she wanted, without forcing people into it.

9. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

A discharge from a Phaser set to maximum was missing from the end of this episode.

10. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't think I've seen this episode since the DVD releases, so I could remember wrong, but I seem to recall her being hauled off to be put on trial for her crimes, with the implication that she was likely to spend a good long time in prison.

:shrug: I don't have a problem with that. Revenge fantasies aren't really Star Trek's style.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

There does seem to be a pattern in Star Trek that no matter how shitty your life is, if you've been living there for a while "This is our home. This is our way of life."

I don't think Alixus needed to die at the end rather than face a very long prison sentence. But the colonists definitely should have been a lot more angry and at least half of them should have left.

The entire episode might have worked better if Alixus was portrayed more like a cult leader. If she had targeted weak willed people, desperate for authority, instead of taking just a bunch of normal people. That way it would have been much more believable for everybody to want to stay behind.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I think she would have been shocked, she seemed to truly believe she did them a favor, I don't think she would have been able to say anything.

The problem is that she probably goes to prison gladly because she was prooven right, her stupid experiment succeeded, she created this community and they decided to keep going without her, that's all she ever wanted.
    I wanted her crushed and destroyed, not in prison knowing that she was "right":scream:

13. WesleysDisciple

Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but needed to add this.

A lot of people have pointed out Alixus could have used volunteers to forge a tech free society.

If thats all she wanted to do, Volunteers would have sufficed.

But she was wanting to test some of her more Cynical Sociological theories.

About how This kind of thing would IMPROVE a person

IRL a lot of calls for the renewel of conscription claim it would CLOSE social gaps.

Talk abou how the draft supposedly helped destroy segregation, etc, etc etc.

Point is , those who you believe would have much to benefit, or contribute, will not likely be volunteers.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Her reasoning is still flawed, if as you say it was about how this thing would "iimprove" a person. Doesn't that presuppose a belief something is wrong with that person in the first place. Wouldn't it be better if we accepted people for who they are and respect their beliefs even if we disagree with them.

I have no issue with that Alexus wanting to live a tech free life. My issues are she is guilty of

Multiple counts of kindnapping

Multiple counts of false improsment (the duonnetic field was artifical)

Multiple counts of murder (her actions in stradning the colonist via the orignal kidnapping and subsequent false improsment led to deaths)

Multiple counts of torture (that box she put people was barbaric)

Assulting Federation Officers

Attempt Murder of Federation Officers

Have I missed anything she is guilty of?

Sabotage of Federation/Starfleet vessels

Hijacking of the colony ship (she may not physically have hijacked it but she made sure it went to a specific planet no doubt by the aforementioned sabotage)

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Put Alixus in the box, get everyone else into the runabout, then take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing Alixius wanted to improve was her power over others. Her "philosophy" was just an ends to that mean.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Alixus probably got life in prison, I think that's fair.

But the ridiculous part about the ending is how nobody wanted to leave now that they could. I'd believe some small percentage wanting to stay behind, but not freaking all of them. Some of them have family off the planet.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I was one of those people, I'd be beyond angry. To say the ending was absurd is an understatement.

19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Indeed. Not one of my faves by any means.

20. WesleysDisciple

Fairly good points.

Just saying, g, that some have listed that as a valid reason for compulsion in either Military conscription, or community service requirements for High school graduation

THe alleged benefits a person might accrue through their lives.

I HATE These ideas. Myself.

MY major refutation to that idea is that Alixus is neither A government, nor their parent.

Pluss she didnt just use compulsion she used deception.

But I wanted SO BADLY to see the community crumble and be destroyed.