I'm sitting in on a couple of classes!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jan 24, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got my BA in 2005 and then went to the local law school. Finished it and passed the Bar despite health issues, but I'm not practicing. I didn't really want to be a practicing lawyer, I'm just competitive enough and have enough of an inferiority complex that I wanted to tie my husband (Bachelor's, doctorate, license) and prove to myself that I could achieve something at my limits. Yeah, I know.

Anyway, so Hubby isn't happy with my staying home "doing nothing." While he's wrong on my activities, I do have a lot of time available. So I figured, new semester, let's see if my English profs will/can let me sit in on a class or two.

Today was the first day of these classes. This one prof, who kinda remembers me from years ago, agreed. So now I'm taking English Renaissance Literature and Chaucer. She read a bit of Chaucer out loud. Sounded like Amy Farrah Fowler. It'll be nice to listen and learn without having to worry about assignments, quizzes, essays, and tests.

I'm not formally enrolling because I'm not seeking credit and the school likely wouldn't allow it anyway as I have too many units, unless I was going for an MFA (Masters of Fine Arts), which I'm not. This is CA, they're limiting things like that now. I just enjoy learning. A law school classmate once commented about me and Hubby, after Hubby sat in on a couple of classes, "Why would he want to do that? Oh, I forgot...you two like to learn things."

Anyone else want to be a perpetual student?

2. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Hell yeah! I am a perpetual student and I'm proud. I like to learn new things, otherwise I feel like my brain is going dead...and I'm not growing as an individual.

I reallly hate it when I hear kids today saying a college education is a waste of time because when they get out they're not gonna get a job anyway. Well, they're not gonna get a job because the economy is bad not because the college degree is a waste of time!

I hope to get a couple of master's degrees and maybe a doctorate in : Astrophysics with a emphasis on stellar atmospheres; Atmospheric Science, with emphasis on magnetic fields of planetary bodies; Vulcanology, with emphasis on Shield Volcano growth and physiology and Wildlife Rehabilitation, so I can help any animal that I see along the roadside that is in need of help. I have already been a wildlife monitor for the past four years studying the family structure of Canada Geese and Mallard Ducks an how ithey relate to the urban environment (since we keep on taking away all their habitats).

And you know what? My friends all think I'm crazy, but I don't freakin' care. I could be out drinking, doing drugs and all sorts of terrible stuff but instead I choose to improve my mind and the world around me.

Study on, my friend. Take whatever classes you want. There is nothing wrong with personal enrichment. Would you rather be like the rest of the populace, lying on the sofa watching mindless reality shows in cable TV? Now that is a true waste of a life!

3. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welllllllll, I was wasting a bit of time, I must admit. But Hubby did like having someone make his breakfast and lunch, take care of him and the house, and snuggle with at night. I can do that and take these classes, so it's win-win.

Cleaning out the house is my major project. We've been together 25 years. We have stuff we put in the basement when we moved in 10 years ago that we haven't seen! Just yesterday I told Hubby, "Hey! I found the tripod we were looking for all this time. It was in a box labeled 'plastic display boxes.'" Umm...that's what I'm dealing with.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

We're moving from Long Island to the Syracuse area, so that my wife can work at the hospital there. I'm currently self-employed as a Video Editor/Video Production and will be loosing a large amount of my clients. I currently have a BS in Computer Science and I was thinking about attending Syracuse University and maybe get a new degree. Honestly I don't want to work with computers anymore. They use to be a passion of mine but not so anymore. I was actually encouraged to do this by my sister applying for Grad School.