2016 Ships of the Line Calendar Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 12, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the 2016 Ships of the Line Design Contest rules?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2014.
  1. I plan to enter the contest with an original design - I'm fine with the rules as they are

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. I plan to enter the contest with an original design if they get the format rules straightened out

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. I want to enter the contest, but I don't want to give up the rights to my original design

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I plan to enter the contest, but only with an existing ship design

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I don't plan to enter the contest, but I think the rules need to be straightened out

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. I don't plan to enter the contest, so the rules don't really matter to me

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. Send me 52 weeks of Time and bill me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, best of luck, everyone.

Now that we can't see the rules anymore, when is the judging supposed to be over?

I never got any email in reply that I entered. I hope that's normal.

EDIT:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...hipsoftheline.promotw.com/official-rules.html

"During Phase 2, which will run from July 24, 2014 through September 9, 2014 (“Judging Period”), each Entry will be scored by a panel of judges and the thirteen (13) top-scoring entries will be declared potential Grand Prize winners, subject to verification. Up to a maximum of thirteen (13) (as determined by Sponsor) top-scoring entries will be declared potential Grand Prize winners. During Phase 3, which will occur on September 16, 2014, Grand Prize winners will be confirmed and announced."

2. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

I didn't get a confirmation email either.

September would be nice for the winners to be announced, but of all six starship design contests I've entered, only one (tNGS) stuck to the time table for such announcements (and some waited till months after), so I'm not holding my breath.

3. Tallguy

[​IMG]

:guffaw:

4. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Nope, no e-mail confirmation here, either. Gotta say, they really are running this well ... ;)

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

From the folks I've spoken too it seems the wording on the website was a crock of shit and it has to be something we've already seen.

In that case, 4 out of my 5 entries are "eligible" I guess. And if that really IS the case, I feel absolutely gutted for everyone who worked their butts off on original stuff.

6. Fuzzy Modem

What folks?

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This is weird - so much confusion. Don't remember this at all from years past. Is this all because some new outfit picked up the project and they're imposing their own rules on it without appropriately communicating their intent to the people who would make submissions? Really don't get what's going on with this one.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

What "years past"? This is the first time they've done this.

9. 137th Gebirg

I'm not sure how to respond to that. I think you need to read my post again.

10. sojourner

This is the first time they've run a contest like this - ever. The previous SOTL calendars were not contests. Certain artists were invited to participate and worked with the publisher over a period of months to develop their completed art.

Make sense?

11. 137th Gebirg

Yes, I see what you're saying now - but what my point was, in prior calendars, I'm sure there were "ground rules" those invited artists had to follow. Maybe not so specific as "don't paint a Klingon eating a bloody tribble corpse", or something to that effect, but some general guidelines to follow. I don't know what those rules entailed, as I was never one of those who was asked, but I don't ever recall hearing about this level of confusion in communication about what was expected from those who were involved.

Make sense?

12. sojourner

Not sure what to tell you. The previous artists worked continuously with the publisher to develop the art pieces they submitted. It wasn't a one time "give us something within these guidelines" posting. They were constantly in contact as the art was developed. It's not like this situation at all where they are basically asking for blind submissions.

13. Ihlecreations

Ihlecreations Captain Captain

Sorry guys I meant to get back sooner than this, as far as I was told the art had to be a ship that was seen or mentioned in the Star Trek Universe, i.e. canon ships. Now an original ship design of a never seen but talked about vessel might work, but in my opinion to do all that work for 500 bucks and to then sign over all rights to said design isn't worth it. I stuck with a known class and mentioned vessel in the USS Horizon, Daedalus class after I had already started an original design of a new ship and nixed that to quickly get my piece in by the deadline.

14. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

setting aside that their process was completely different and probably under specific contract, why would professional artists working with a publisher whinge about it in public?

15. Tallguy

I can barely imagine that any of the 13 winners will be taken "as is". I am assuming that the winners will then go through the same process of refinement that previous artists have.

If I'm wrong? Well it will be an interesting 50th anniversary calendar.

16. sojourner

Hard to say really. The winners may be turning in their best effort in some cases. It's not like everyone they pick will be able to improve on what they submit.

Regardless, it's still not the same as previous SOTL where they actively invited certain artists and worked with them from the get go. Each artist would have a specific contact with the publisher with which to iron out conflicting submission requirements. Unlike the situation with this contest.

17. Fuzzy Modem

I guess I'm the only one who read "or mentioned" as an invitation to visually define an otherwise [placeholder here] bit of Trek lore. I think the limitation is only there so people aren't inventing new alien races and such.

Rule #1: If they like it, they'll use it.

18. Ihlecreations

true dat!

19. Ihlecreations

Man I wish I could show mine and get opinions....stupid no prior publication rule....

20. Fuzzy Modem

Well, we do know, atleast, that the final artwork will be delivered at higher quality by the artist after the lucky 13 are contacted, so a bit of tweaking is likely in order. Not sure they'll want my big bold signature for instance, as it may be where they want to put the dates. Color saturation/contrast levels may also need to be tweaked for printing puposes too, but I wouldn't expect them to seek major revisions.