American Horror Story Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Oct 5, 2011.

?

How Would You Grade The Episode?

1. Awesome

25.0%
  2. Above Average

54.2%
  3. Average

4.2%
  4. Below Average

8.3%
  5. Horrible

8.3%
  1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Re: American Horror Story (FX) 1x01 Pilot (Grading/Discussion)

So who/what was under the girl's bed reaching for her?

2. 1001001

From Hijinks Ensue:

[​IMG]

:lol:

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Addy's ghost! :D

We haven't seen the last of her...

4. 1001001

I was thinking that too, but then I thought if Addy was "good" wouldn't she be released, like the housekeeper's mother?

5. Temis the Vorta

Maybe Addy will be able to come and go at will.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The second part of the Halloween special wasn't as good as the first. I felt that some of the people's reactions weren't commensurate with the danger they were in. With all the crazy stuff going on. They were a bit too sedate about all the crazy stuff that was happening.

I did like Hayden though. I thought Kate Mara did a fine job. I'm glad they bought her back and hopefully we'll see her again. We got some interesting backstory with Tate as well.

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I just saw the first episode last night. What the frak was up with that??

And I don't mean the plot, or even the weird stuff of the ghosts or whatever.
    I mean the editing of it. What the hell?? Why was every scene about 8 seconds long, like every thing happened at Warp 9 where there was no time to breathe at all, and not in a good way.
    Was the editor of this on speed or something? It was mental. As such I didn't find it scary or shocking or disturbing or anything, I was just thinking "who the hell put this together?"

8. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The editing is less insane after the first episode but I think part of the show's charm is the ridiculousness of it all. I seriously doubt most people watching are finding it scary or shocking or any of that. At least I'm not. But it's a fun and weird and funny ride.

9. Temis the Vorta

They still use the fast! cuts! every once in a while. It's so obvious that it comes off as more funny than scary, but maybe that's the intent? Basically the show is just a lot of crazy shit being thrown at us in rapid succession, in the hopes that something will be entertaining enough to make us keep our paws off the zapper.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tonight's episode was great. Eric Stonestreet and the Piggy Man tale was my favorite part. I loved the Tate backround stuff. There's so much going on, but it's all somehow easy to follow.

11. 1001001

I'm glad they explained why tate doesn't know he's dead.

Good old mom...eating brains and stuff.

So is the security guy (the guy from V) dead too?

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't think so. He seemed pretty startled when Haydn disappeared from his vehicle last week.

I think he's just who he appears to be: a friendly security guy who is probably looking pretty good to Vivian right now.

13. 1001001

You're probably right. besides, do ghosts have cars?

I was starting to think that everyone in this damn thing is dead.

14. Temis the Vorta

Just as long as it all doesn't turn out to be a hallucination of Addy's in the end. Speaking of Addy, I hope she's not gone for good. She really adds something to this show with her spunky, buttinsky presence. :D

Piggy Man was genuinely freaky, even if the ending was rather stupid. I'm disappointed that Tate is "just" a ghost, I was rooting for Frankenbaby. The love story of Tate and Violet is very compelling because the actors sell it. CW should take a look at this show to see how to do angsty teenage romance that doesn't come off as annoying.

Random thought about Tate: is it possible, timeline-wise, for him to be Addy's father? Sure, there's the photo with him and Addy, not looking too far apart in age, but maybe ghosts can have their photos taken. Probably not possible but that plot twist would be so very characteristic of this show's approach to things that I couldn't help wonder...

15. Temis the Vorta

Preview of this week's episode. Looks like a good one.
    What will Ben do when he finds out the new owner plans to dig up the gazebo? Now we have a good reason why they can't sell the house - Ben will have to screw up every offer until he can get Hayden's corpse out from under the gazebo. And when will Vivien ask Moira for her secret of being a guy magnet at her age? Maybe it's the perfume? :rommie:

16. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...

I just plowed through the first five eps today online (thank you FX for having them online). I don't find the show particularly scary, but some of the subject matter was disturbing in an over-the-top way, which is what I think they're going for. I'm interested in seeing how the backgrounds of the ghosts get fleshed out over time. Witnessing the family's disintegration is kind of like watching a train wreck - in slow motion.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

In the second episode they showed Addy as a liitle girl in 1978 (maybe 6 or so) when the twin boys went in the house and died. So Addy was in her upper 30's when she died in 2011. Tate died in 1994 and he was about 17 or so, making him born in about 1977, that would make Addy older than him by 3 or 4 years.

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked this new episode a lot.

It also revealed a lot, or at least made clear some of the things that I and I'm sure others have been speculating since the beginning of the series. Constance and Moira's relationship, for one, is providing to be a constant joy and I really liked how that dynamic "evolved" in this particular episode. Jessica Lange and her performance is quickly becoming one of my favorite aspects of this show.

I also like the direction of the Tate/Violet storyline. As Temis said, this is how you do teen angst. I think it's fascinating because it's not your typical teenage romance (especially since Violet is essentially dating and as evident in this episode apparently falling in love with a dead guy!). On top of that, I really like the direction of the Violet character, and I'm very curious to see where she is headed. It appears she's becoming or going to become "in tune" with the house and the ghosts that populate it. It's almost like she's becoming attached to the house, mostly because of Tate, because she's sinking deeper and deeper into the whole abyss of the house. It's actually a little scary when you think about it. Violet may become so attached that she doesn't want to leave, and if/when that does happen, the psychological ramifications will be considerable. She might have to have some weekly sessions with her father to cope. :p

Speaking of Ben and Vivian, I'm not really enjoying what's evolving of their relationship dynamic. It's definitely progressing, but I'm not entirely enthralled or engaged by their incessant relationship problems (even though the sequence in which Vivian was trying to find some "alone time" was effectively unsettling). I like where they are going separately as characters (it appears Ben is becoming a slightly darker character because of the house and Vivian is becoming stronger, but I have a feeling that's going to change after witnessing the preview for next week's episode) but I'm just not a fan of their characters when they are together, if that makes sense.

Anyway, next week's episode looks certifiably intense, and I can't wait. Besides The Walking Dead and Boss, American Horror Story has become one of my favorite shows currently on television.

19. Temis the Vorta

Another fun ep. The Frankenbaby flashback was mega-creepy! :rommie:

Did the preview for next week actually show Zach Quinto in the rubber suit? :D Woo-hoo, Christmas is coming early this year!

Also looks like we'll get to see who's in the suit next week. If/when they unmask the guy, it's gotta be some immediately shocking thing, which means it's one of the actors already on the show (because a new actor would be meaningless).

My money is on Tate, or more precisely, Tate's twin brother. There's still one child of Constance's that we haven't yet been introduced to, right? I think Tate had a frakked-up twin who now is in his mid-30s. (He's not a ghost; he's simply been hiding and living in the house all this time.) Evan Peters could easily play a guy of that age, maybe scarred or deformed or whatever. He wears the gimp suit because he's insane and to cover his deformities. Tate never knew his twin brother existed, but now his brother is fathering his girlfriend's half-siblings! Hilarious sick fun!

Furthermore, I believe that Frankenbaby survived in the house by himself and grew up, and that he (probably the original gimp-suit wearer to cover up the suture marks) fathered all four of Constance's children, which is why they all turned out "wrong."

When Constance was talking about her family being in the house, I think she means three of her children, two ghosts and one living (Addy has apparently escaped to a heavenly afterlife), and their daddy.

20. 1001001

I just cannot believe how messed up this show is.

They moved the narrative along quite nicely. I like the twist with burn-faced guy.

And that poor Persian dude...all he wanted was a little land to develop, a blowjob, and a sandwich. Was that too much to ask?

:shrug: