Kevin Keller ("Archie" Comics) meets George Takei - "Oh my!"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

This week, there are two cover versions of issue #6 of "Kevin Keller", featuring the popular gay character - a spin-off from "Archie" - meeting Star Trek's George Takei. A review coming when I've read it!

[​IMG]
    Kevin Keller #6 by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw this item on the various LGBT blogs I frequent, and my first thought was, "Is this comic set in the 50s? Because it's a long time since George looked that young!"

Still, it's wonderful and simultaneously depressing that Archie comics are more socially advanced than half the US government.

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I'm from Germany, I haven't heard of the Archie-Comics before. What's their point?

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Archie" is a major piece of Americana, starting in the 1940s. In many ways, he's still as 1950s as "Happy Days", but he is also quite contemporary. In the 70s, there was a popular animated musical TV show based on the comic, and it spawned many spin-offs.

http://www.archiecomics.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Comics

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^And the animated Archie was from Filmation, the same studio that made the animated Star Trek. Up to now, I think that was the only connection between ST and Archie.

Not to mention more so than Star Trek, which still doesn't have a canonical gay character.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, I haven't bought an ARCHIE comic since he met the Punisher, but I may have to get this one . . . .

7. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

I liked it! Not my favorite issue, but enjoyable. Notes:

-I feel like a lot of Kevin-related stuff starts with Veronica coming up to him at the lockers and starting a conversation. This sort of formulaic opening is comforting in its repetition, and I always enjoy noticing whatever new outfit Veronica has got on.
    -So glad they mentioned the internment camps, which imo is too glossed-over in American history.
    -Yay! Brad Takei is in it too!
    -I appreciate Veronica's "Star Trip" slip-up and Jughead's indignant correction.
    -Also love the Jabba t-shirt.
    -The message throughout the comic about tolerance and acceptance is wonderful. It makes me feel mushy and I think the all-inclusive language used in the comic was the right way to go.

I give it a B!

8. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

I actually went to the Midtown Comics signing. George Takei is every bit as awesome as he seems to be. Genuinely sweet guy, was making time to talk to everyone. Thanked everyone for being Star Trek fans or even fans of his Howard Stern Show appearances. Great dude, can't stress it enough.