Star Trek: Renegades - an almost Voyager movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 10, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://startrekrenegades.com
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfhWr9l1NI[/YT]
    No Kate Mulgrew and no Jeri Ryan, unfortunately. But Robert Picardo (Dr. Lewis Zimmerman), Ethan Phillips (a new character called Fixer), Garrett Wang (probably-still-an-Ensign Kim) and Tim Russ (Tuvok, also directing) are on board for this Kickstarter-funded fan film/series pilot. IMDB cast page HERE.

Here's the story:
    I know it's been mentioned on the site before, but with it's emphasis on Voyager characters, I think we need a thread here. What do you think, Voyager fans?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I saw that trailer about... six months or so back. Did they actually start moving forward with this? I'll watch it if/when it does come out, though in all likelihood it'll be cheesy nostalgia kind of like Of Gods and Men.

Tuvok as head of Section 31 though? Yeah... that's more than a little facepalming. :p

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be fun whether it's great or deeply embarrassing :lol:

Do you know how far off it is from being done/released KingDaniel?

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I wonder what it's like for the original actors doing projects like this and Cawley's films. I don't think they can legally be paid if it's non-union, so maybe they get free hotel, food, and expenses. And they get to act, which is probably the real bonus.

5. Ryn

Ryn Ensign Newbie

I'm not sure how to feel about this . . . On one hand, I get all giddy at the thought of seeing at least some of Voyager's crew after they're home. On the other hand, it's disappointing that Ethan Phillips is portraying a new character, and that we won't be seeing the EMH. *Shrug* I'll be watching it though, it looks good.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So when is it going to be done?

7. R. Star

Well according to the website they are in "pre-production mode" and 2/3s of the way through the second draft of the script. You can read more if you donate(which I haven't).

I always thought it was ironic... buy season 1 of TNG Bluray remastered for only 89.99 so you can hear Picard preach about how petty money is and how devolved it is to use it! Meanwhile, please donate to our fanfilm!

That tangent aside, I'd honestly be surprised if we saw it in 2014 sometime. This has been kicking around and they've been(and still are) fishing for money for awhile now.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

After witnessing the crap-fest that is Of Gods and Men, I have no confidence whatsoever that this endeavour – produced by the same folks – will be any better. I mean, I love love love Tim Russ, Ethan Phillips, Robert Picardo and Walter Koenig, but OGAM was so unbelievably dull, awkward and fan-wanky, I can't imagine this to be any different. The trailer sure is horrible. :eek:

9. R. Star

You definitely should demand your money back. :p

10. F. King Daniel

That's my thinking too.
    Definitely. As is the captain of Chekov and Tuvok's handpicked crew being a great-great-great-great-great granddaughter of Khan - which is possibly the fanwankiest thing I've ever read in the Trekverse. Ever.
    IIRC,they said 2014 when they started up. But I suspect it'll be a little later than that.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've tried several times but never made it through Of Gods and Men. It was just painful.

12. R. Star

I don't think OGAM was as bad as everyone made it out to be. It was campy as all heck, but I thought it was cool to see the mixed cast like that for it. Though yeah, it was more than a little dull. Can't say I've had a desire for a repeat viewing though. I'd probably have ripped into it horridly if it was a legit work, but being it's a fanwork that's basically run on charity, I'm inclined to be a bit more sympathetic to it.

I'm actually worried Koenig might not last long enough to film this. He's getting up there in age and certainly it doesn't even look like they'll begin filming until late this year or early 2014.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Walter's always looked ill to me especially after he went gray, and losing his son certainly didn't help.

14. F. King Daniel

Walter acknowledged the possibility himself at the end of this Kickstarter promo...
    [YT]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1N2r1aMuq8[/YT]
    For a guy of his age, he looks fine to me!

As for OGaM, I went into it with zero expectations and enjoyed it. It's like a sweet little coda to classic Trek, and a far more loving valentine to fans than "These are the Voyages"
    Here's the complete version of Star Trek: Of Gods and Men, for anyone interested who hasn't seen it yet:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqAME7dx58[/YT]

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Can be interesting actually. At least it's the only new Trek on screen that might be interesting to me.

16. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can we get Jeri Ryan? :D

I will say I am a fan of Tarah Paige and hope for the best with this project. :)

17. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

18. R. Star

Well, they're offering slots as viewscreen actors and redshirts and associate producers to people who donate 10k or more. I suppose if I just had way more money than I needed I might think about something like that for the novelty.

19. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, you're right.

Maybe if I had a hundred million in the bank... ;)

With that kind of dough I'd have bid on the dinner with Mulgrew! :drool:

20. R. Star

Heck, make a youtube video and post it saying how much you adore her and ask her out. That's working for a lot of people with celebrities lately. ;)