Confess your dumbness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by teacake, Jul 18, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got some basic knowledge you never figured out? Not really sure why we need a leap year? People keep smacking you one when you say something's "ironic" cuz it isn't? Without spellcheck you'd DIE?

Here's mine: I have no freaking idea what the term "hump day" means. I keep reading it and thinking it means today you get to hump and that's why everyone is happy when they post that it is hump day.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am not sure this is dumbness but it probably seems to be to other people. My biggest problem is my inability to work out how to say a word I haven't pronounced before even though I have heard the word. Sometimes it takes me a long time to learn how to pronounce the word and there is some words that I have never worked out. I have no trouble spelling the word if I have seen it but I often have trouble working it out if I have only heard it but never seen it.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I've given up on figuring out "effect" versus "affect." Which is an embarrassing brain glitch for a writer.

Also, I've got a black hole in my brain where the math should be. This is very frustrating, because so many of the things that interest me (like quantum physics) requires a gift for math to truly understand.

Hump Day is Wednesday. It means that you've gotten over the hump and it's all downhill from there. It's not really an accurate metaphor. :rommie:

4. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan. They do not recognize daylight savings time here and we are also an extra half hour ahead of other time zones. I've been here for 6 months now and I still can't figure out what time it is back home in the United States because that extra 30 minutes always throws me off.

5. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

i still don't know how to shave properly. There is always some left that stands out.

6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was a stupid child. I once got confused while watching a news item about the ratings war between Dallas & Dynasty, and for many years I believed that someone from ITV (who aired Dynasty) had shot someone called Larry Hagman who worked for the BBC.

When Tim Burton's Batman came out, for months leading up to the release I could not figure out what the bat sign was. To me it looked like two sets of bunny ears. Turns out I was looking at the yellow bit, instead of the black bit. I don't know why it took so long to click.

7. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I got called out in college for pronouncing the word "pull" the same way as "pool". Apparently they have separate pronunciations, which was news to me. I have the same issue with full/fool.

8. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

When I was in college, I took a literature independent study with 2 or 3 other people. I wasn't paying attention and my professor said something about a "shim" meaning a literary term (still don't know what it is though).

I look up at my professor and blurt out "You mean like a he-she?"

He just stared at me and was like "No..."

So embarrassing.

I also don't know what Boxing Day is. I could Google that though.

9. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

HAHA It's Wednesday. The hump of the week.

10. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Unit conversions. I have down that four quarts make a gallon. Inches - feet - yards, I'm okay there. Everything else? Frak if I know!

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought boxing day was the day your mother/father started a massive row over what happened on xmas day. :lol:

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the day you eat leftovers and watch the Cricket and throw out all the bottles.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Percentages. I'm constantly having to do them at work to determine how much profit a contractor should make. Even though I've done it a thousand times I have to stop and really think about what numbers go where. I should just generalize and say math in all forms accounts for most of my dumbness.

Oh, and I really suck at excel.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I vote to make your's the official definition of Hump Day!!

I here ya, man. And there is also Zulu time to contend with!! Go ask your storeman for another clock to hang in your office and set it for your home time. That's what I did.

15. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think my one is that my brain just plain refuses to do any maths, I know how to work things out, but I'll just stare at numbers waiting for my brain to do something. It never does.

16. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't get my fingers out of this puzzle thing!

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I type really quickly in a "stream of consciouness" manner. I don't think about sentence construction at all, and make horrendous and basic spelling mistakes/typos a heck of a lot. Also, I often just completely miss typing a key word in a given sentence, but I don't see it until I review it later. Some of my posts here are truly dreadful!

I know I do it, I've done it all my life, but I'm just too dumb and impatient to slow down. Oh, using an iPad makes it MUCH worse!

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm very guilty of that as well. It has caused me to proofread just about everything I post but I still see old posts with typos and feel embarassed.

19. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

This is totally me as well--thought I was the only one so neurotic! :p

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I am completely math illiterate. It takes me forever just to figure the tip on my bill.