Bioshock Infinite (Bioshock 3)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Light, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...d=6273282&mode=previews&tag=topslot;img;1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock_Infinite

I'm surprised there's not an article on this! Yesterday word and video broke on the third Bioshock game!

Bioshock Infinite is actually a prequel with a different setting and story but with similar themes and game play.

This game takes place in 1912 on the flying air city of Columbia, built to show off the prowess of circa 1900 America, but it quickly fell into insanity like Rapture. Where Bioshock used water and darkness, this setting will use air (as in a mile up in the sky!) and brightness.

I think it looks pretty cool. While I loved the Rapture setting a lot, the second game was pretty much more of the same and I'm looking forward to this new setting and story.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Re: Bioshock Infinitie (Bioshock 3)

Interesting, Bungie's Marathon series also called the third game "Infinity". And that was the point at which they seemed to give up on a coherent storyline, coincidentally.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Annnnnd I misspelled my thread title. Rookie mistake :eek:

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering when someone would make the thread!

5. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

RPS sayeth:
    I think I'm going to like this game. :techman:

And I don't care what Ken Levine says; it's a terrible, terrible title. Of course 'Bioshock' isn't exactly an appealing title in the first place.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, just call it Bioshock 3 already. That's an interesting point about the imperialism / immigration thing.

7. firehawk12

But Ken's done with the Bioshock franchise! :lol

I feel like the franchise has been foisted upon him, since obviously consumers are too stupid to understand what the game is without having the Bioshock name attached to it.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The brand name is just a smart business move, much like that new X-COM game that looks nothing like anything in the series' history. I don't mind if an existing franchise name is used to push something different--maybe that will expose people to games they otherwise wouldn't have played.

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I fixed the thread title, because I'm a stand-up guy like that. ;)

I have a feeling that this is the original IP that Levine has been working on for quite some time, and Take Two simply mandated that it be branded with the BioShock title for sales and marketing reasons.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^^ Thanks!

11. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks good but it does feel like someone took another story/theme and reworked it into a Bioshock sequel/prequel. There's far too little to know just what the game is really about yet but it does hint at the whole Imperialism angle.

12. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I got the feeling that he said all that as a misdirect, so he could go off and secretly work on Infinite privately while Marin kept us occupied with the more public development of BioShock 2.

13. firehawk12

It's weird, because someone found a quote where an executive from Take 2 said that Levine was not working on a Bioshock game... and that was back in April.

I guess we'll never know the story and certainly everyone at Irrational will be saying that they were making a Bioshock game all along.

14. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Wasn't there an interview where he said he considers this a new IP? If that's the case anyone think it wasn't originally a bioshock game and has become one?

15. firehawk12

I think the line is that it shares the same 'spirit' as Bioshock and that there are "infinite" new possibilities (and the sky is infinite, I suppose).

16. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I.... don't know. I'm a fan of Bioshock and rapture and the eerieness that accompanies that. I saw the trailer and while it was relatively ambiguous and thrilling, I don't know if I really like the storyline or the atmosphere. But, I'll give it a look-see.

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh... to me, BioShock is the world of Rapture. It's being underwater. It's splicers and Big Daddies. This is just taking an entirely new story, new setting and time time period and slapping the BioShock branding on it to make it more marketable. But to me, this is NOT BioShock.

I'm not saying that this will be a bad game. It might be an awesome game. I just don't think it should be connected to the existing franchise.

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^Surely that depends on the game itself? We know nothing of it other than a Video that is likely completely unrelated.

19. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

If the bean-counters at 2K games think the game will make x% more money simply by having the BioShock name on it, it's going to have the name on it. You and I have the luxury of making an artistic decision, the publishers and developers less so.

I'm willing to bet they'll shoehorn in some characters related to the first BioShock games to keep continuity.

20. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

That's mostly coming through via material presented outside the trailer:

It seems clear enough that Columbia in the game is America, and that its terrible transition from peaceful world fair to rogue war machine mirrors America's own ideological fall from grace. Like Rapture, Columbia is the failure of a dream.

Regardless of whether or not one agrees with the message, this is clearly a game with something to say, and if nothing else is notable for that reason alone. Bioshock 2 picked an easy target (which isn't to say I agree with the simplistic notion that Lamb = Marx; I suspect that those who actually go along with that didn't pay nearly close enough attention to either Lamb or Marx :lol:) and Bioshock's was only a little more challenging; but it strikes me that the sacred cow chosen for this game could conceivably ruffle enough feathers to have a measurable impact on its financial success; particularly given that the 'it's an FPS therefore I shall buy it and play it like Halo (and then complain when it turns out not to be like Halo)' crowd was already dispensed with back with the first game.