Incredible inconsistency in "Concerning Flight"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Shatnertage, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard it was punishment for real life crimes.

Kiwi computer programmers when rendering the opening credits to TNG branded the map to New Zealand onto Saturn without permission.

http://www.eeggs.com/items/49501.html

2. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

Wasn't there another episode that claimed that there were places on Earth where tourists got "mugged", but it was just part of the authentic experience?

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ferengi who set up that scheme was smart. ;)

That aside, I seem to remember that from somewhere too but can't figure out what episode it was. So now I'm curious.

4. Guy Gardener

from VOY Gravity

It's just something Tom says.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a storyline somewhere out there in the ether, but I'm pretty sure not Star Trek, where people pay to have the experience of being kidnapped.

In Dune there is a rich and powerful man who infects himself with diseases for his own amusement.

Also people go camping VOLUNTARILY.

6. purplebookworm

purplebookworm Ensign Newbie

Yes, it's the first episode with Sandrine's. Tom tells Harry he found the real Sandrine's when his wallet was stolen and Harry is shocked that he was mugged on Earth. Then he says it's just for the tourists and they give you your wallet back.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Oh give me a break. Magic college know it all psychic powers do not apply to a fictional universe, or even that accurately to the real one.

Just like in the real world, everybody who has a good job now either spent years in crappy jobs first or have rich grandparents. Everybody I know who is doing well financially now had to spend a few years at one point as a waiter/waitress, a grocery store clerk, an inventory counter, or something like that, and they got their good jobs later. Why would it be any different in a world with replicators?

In this fictional universe that is, and I can not stress this enough, is not required to conform to your own politics, it's likely that there is very little crime on Earth and major Federation planets. However, outlying colonies and non-aligned worlds where they don't have replicators or steady streams of resources do still have all those social problems.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

The punishment is not too light.

Peter Jackson's estate has continued to milk Tolkien into the 24th century. The quality of the adaptations is at an all-time low; currently they're on their fourth remake of "A New Shadow." The inmates are forced to assist making them.

Federation attorneys have filed a class-action lawsuit on behalf of the inmates, citing "cruel and unusual punishment" and "crimes against humanity".

9. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

Thank you, I knew I wasn't crazy. :)

10. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Actually, Tom specified that they give you back your wallet "most of the time".

I wonder what they're carrying in their wallets in the 24th century. Not currency. Identification, I imagine, but a whole wallet just for an ID card?

11. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder that too. They don't even have pockets--where would they put their wallets, anyway?

12. Guy Gardener

When they talk about money by accident they call it "credits".

Methinks the Federation's people are recognized by Federation technology "somehow" and there's a giant balance sheet somewhere making sure that no one abuses the system even though they are already technically offered infinite resources.

13. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

1. Tom was a 20th century afictionado
    2. Other aliens not in the Federation (example Ferengi) still use currency

14. Guy Gardener

No one lives in a bottle. The Federation has to use money when dealing with other species, and so any Star Ship would have to have a vault... Although you have to wonder with replicators as they are, how they don't find themselves guilty of counterfeiting when visiting low tech worlds.

Look at Archer, he had to strip the platinum off his ships plumbing to pay for some crap at one point.

Starships might be fine, but lone humans wandering out there in space preaching about how money is made up and they should be allowed to take anything they want and that it not stealing, must be considered the trash of the Galaxy.

15. teacake

They would be seen as cultic weirdos.

16. Guy Gardener

Hey, watch it. There's nothing wrong with our philosophy!

17. teacake

If you shove it down the Ferengis' ears there is.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Careful. If rubbing a Ferengi's ear is foreplay, what's shoving something into it?

19. teacake

I'm pretty sure Rom got something in his ear once and it was extremely painful.

But that's not the right answer for this forum, the right answer is EAR SEX. I bet they have special slippery wax as lubricant.

20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Paris himself once told Harry IIRC that "they" mug tourists in Marseille for fun