OT: Announcing ONLY SUPERHUMAN, my first original novel!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, May 24, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congratulations Christopher, the premise sounds extremely interesting. I look forward to reading this one.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looking forward to reading it. love you're star trek books can't wait to see what you do to superman. also to mr.cox found countdown for preorder on my nook.

3. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome. Cue fireworks and dancers!

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome news Christopher. I wish you the best.

5. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

This is fantastic news, Christopher! You're an outstanding writer, and if your first original novel is even half as good as The Buried Age we've got something special here :). How awesome to get to tell a novel-length hard sci-fi story without having to get around all the Treknobabble inherent in the Trek universe! You have a great talent for telling interesting stories that just so happen to contain fascinating SF ideas, so I hope this is just the first of many more such happy announcements to come. :cool:

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@TerraUnam as someone who has purchased a lot of Tor books from Chapters, and Amazon yes I'm pretty sure Christopher's novel will be available around the same time. We usually get books the same time as our American friends do.

7. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

Nice! And a hardcover to boot. Congratulations!

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Rad! I am picking this thing up!

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Congrats!

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, this has nothing to do with Superman. It's entirely my own creation, my own characters. Emerald Blair may be super, but nobody's gonna mistake her for a man.

11. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I commented on your blog, congratulations.

You'll definitely have a customer here. I look forward to seeing how you have developed space habitats and the other worldbuilding you've put into this.

12. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Awsome I hope it's available for the if nit I will buy the actual boo this sounds awsome to me kind if Bladerunnerish!

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's fantastic news Christopher!! There are still so many of your Trek novels I still can't wait to read, and now an original story by your hands? That's just icing on the cake!
    Congratulations!!!!

14. Christopher

:wtf: Nnno, not very much like Blade Runner at all.

15. GalaxyClass1701

Yea ok I just meant the lack of aliens and different Androids or synthetic lifeforms not really storywise

16. Christopher

Who said anything about androids? ;)

17. GalaxyClass1701

lol sorry I miss read you said AI's:bolian:

18. aventinelover

aventinelover Lieutenant Red Shirt

Congratulations Mr. Bennett! I've enjoyed all of your Trek work and love to pick up my favorite Trek author's (of which you head the list) non-Trek work, as much as possible. However, I have noticed that Tor doesn't seem to have much of an e-book presence. I run both the Nook and a Kindle, but whenever I look for Tor books on either platform, I can never find them. Do you know if Only Superhuman (great title, btw!) is going to be available as an e-book? And for the record, I have DTI on both platforms, and in "regular" paperback, just to be safe. A wondrous, fantastic novel, that I plan to read over and over, and is on my list of 5 novels to be stranded with.

19. Christopher

Since that's on the publication end of things, I'll again have to defer to Greg.

Glad you like the title. It's a good fit thematically for this book, although this is actually the third novel concept I've applied it to. I first came up with it as the title for a story idea in another planned series (the same one for which I created the characters who became Torvig and Chaka in Star Trek: Titan), but one that would've been a centuries-later followup to the original version of the Troubleshooter milieu. (I really liked to plan far ahead back then, because I had no confidence yet in my ability to come up with ideas on demand.) Then, when I was doing my last revision on my initial Troubleshooter spec novel, I decided the book needed a less generic name, so I swiped the Only Superhuman title from that other (vague) concept. Then I abandoned that novel halfway through the draft when I finally realized it just wasn't working, and when I rebooted the whole thing and came up with this new novel, I decided the title worked well for it, so I kept it.

Good grief... I've spent so much of my life trying to put this one book (or its predecessor) together... and now I'm nearly done with that process, aside from copyedits and such. Once that's done, then I'll be moving on to something else, whether it's a sequel or something different. This book will finally be behind me. That's going to be weird. But hopefully liberating, because it'll free me to come up with more new stuff.

20. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to this very much.