Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just one, as I rarely use it on anything but obsidian.
    Yep. I poored water on a large lava lake that I had found down in my mine.
    When that was mined out, I built one of those obsidian generators, that turn redstone into obsidian without wasting the lava source block in the process.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

What the heck? I think I killed my dog. I eventually found one awhile ago, and I've just been working on a long ladder, and as I'm coming down for the day, I hear its cries. I couldn't see where it was, but I think I landed on it. Last thing I saw was a 'poof', like something being killed.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Epic house. :D But I'd watch out for those trees in the background if I were you, you never know when they might turn on you.

I hadn't heard of this so I just looked it up. Man, that's one crazy glitch. :vulcan:

Yeah, you have to be careful with those dogs, they're very stupid. I usually set mine to sit somewhere because she's always hurting herself or nudging me while I'm trying to work. These days I only bring her with me if I'm exploring a cave because helping protect me from monsters is all she's good for.

All my walls are lined with smooth stone, so that can't be it.

I read a suggestion that this could be an unintended consequence of the pathfinding fix for dogs that allows them to walk through doors, so now monsters can find a path to your bed too. It's plausible, but surely mobs can only find a path through a door when it's open.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A possibility. Though I wish they'd fix it. I'm getting damn sick of havign to redesign my rooms. I think I finally made my mineshaft room safe by moving the bed away from the wall and enlarging the space. I guess all I can do to make my treehouse safe is to enclose my lovely balcony in glass. :(

I have to confess I'm getting annoyed with this latest update. Mobs in my bedroom, custom textures are glitched, my dog is stuck, and I've yet to see any sign of this weather they made such a big deal about.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen it rain twice so far.

6. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I have rain pretty much every two or three days on my world, and there's a snow biome a few steps behind my house.

7. Cutter John

Well my singleplayer home seems to be where several biomes intersect. Maybe thats screwing up the weather.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I've seen it rain several times on the server, even though our main area is right by a desert.

9. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen it rain/snow three times I think in about 7 hours of game time. It creates a really nice atmosphere. When you get home if it rains, you really feel nice to be in the dry.

10. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen rain twice on the server in a few hours of game time, yet I've never seen Cutter. Thus, I am forced to conclude that he does not exist.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

He does kinda keep to himself. :shifty:

12. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

After being hard at work on my house, I've decided to finally post some pics of my new world.

[​IMG]

My little Zen garden and floating escape cabin. It's not much more than torches and blocks of wood, but I think it's pretty clever: by digging out a dirt block, swimming up the resultant waterfall, and sealing it back up, I'm pretty much immune from anything, including ninja creepers.

[​IMG]

My front door and boat dock. It took about 50 tries, but the Enterprise mark MCMCXIII is finally safely docked inside. I just know getting it out's going to be a pain in the arse... you can also see my as-yet-uncompleted guard tower in the background.

13. Cutter John

Well that giant tree isn't growing itself mate. Not my fault you're picking the wrong times to log on. :p

Still no sign of weather. Hmmm, I wonder if the problem might be that I'm still using a texture pack for 1.4. Maybe its raining but I just don't see it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  14. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

If a texture pack doesn't have a graphic (as in one of the .png files) it should resort to the default one. So if you've not got a rain.png or snow.png, you should still see them happen.

15. TheGodBen

I only experienced rain/snow that one time. But since then I have been spending most of my time in a very brown region, so it's possible that the game thinks I'm in a desert and hasn't triggered a weather event.

Well, after 6 months of work, I finally finished the Godfrey Keep-Bartlet Cove rail line. Except, in the time it took to build, Godfrey Keep became Fortress Godfrey, which later became the Town of Godfrey. In that time I also built my monster Trap, Fort Jupiter, Mount Vulcan, a road network and Nether portal network that made the whole point of the rail line redundant... but it's nice that it is finally finished.

Also, I discovered Eihort, which is awesome.

16. Canadave

^ Cool as that program looks, I suspect it would cause my GPU to vaporize itself instantly the second I tried to crank up the settings.

17. TheGodBen

It's not so bad on my PC, I can run it smoothly with a view distance of around 1km. It's great to be able to view my world in such detail.

As for weather, Cutter John, are you using the bed at night? Because someone checked the code and weather is given a random timer that usually lasts more than an in-game day and it seems that using a bed resets that timer. If you don't go to bed for a few days then the timer will eventually reach 0 and it should rain. I usually use the bed every night, so that explains why rain has been so rare for me.

18. Cutter John

^^ Maybe thats it. I use the bed nearly every night just because its hard to build on small platforms a hundred feet in the air when you can't see. :) Guess I should find an indoor project to work on for a couple nights.

Update: You know its quite possible that I'm the dumbest human being walkign the planet today.
    I read a post somewhere that punching my stuck wolf might get him unstuck. So like an idiot I did so. And the other wolf promtly attacked him. And got himself killed for his trouble. :(

My glitched wolf, then wedged himself under a tree. While tryign to unstick him, I accidentally punched him a second time, and killed him since he was obviously down to his last heart. :wah:

I walked over to a cliff and threw away the rest of my bones and am swearing off wolves for good.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  19. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i have to start a new world, lost my last one when my pc went tits up:(
    still gives me a new start think i'll name my new world "john smiths":)

20. Canadave

Probably a good call. I walked mine into the middle of the desert and told it to sit because I was sick of it getting underfoot. It's now guarding a lagoon... yes... :shifty: