teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm doing a sorta rewatch, sorta because there are whole seasons I've missed. We have bad tv here, thankfully I am no longer at its mercy. I have all the dvd's and I'll be running through this religiously. I have seen all of Atlantis and all of SG:U.

I posted these brief reviews in another thread, more to come.

The First Commandment: I felt like I was missing something here.. like a huge back story about Mr. I Am God. Did we see him before this and bond with him? I like eps where the good guys go rogue but there could have been more context other than Carter's comments about him being intense. Garth of Izar he wasn't. However rogue nut's role was helped along for me because he looked very much like a religious nut I know, almost creepily so.

Cold Lazarus: I liked this one, even with my aversion to people's real life problems. I liked the crystals, the learning curve Crystal O'Neill was on, the way it showed you how little the team knew about O'Neill. I liked it right up until the Real O'Neill thought it would be a good idea to show his ex-wife a fake version of her dead child. Here honey, it's not actually our dead child but wow, what a likeness eh? Jesus christ on a stargate.

The Nox: Fairy Quark is sweet! Fairy Quark has pretty mossy hair..

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'll try and catch up on episodes when I get a chance :)

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

They never really used the Nox very much, even though they were one of the four races the Asgard talked about. I wonder if all that hair and makeup was an issue?

I'd think a few Nox characters could've mirrored Oma's role as an ascended Ancient who bends the rules to help humanity, providing an interesting change when you expect the day to be saved by the intervention of Ancients or Asgard. "Oh, it's a Nox this time!" But they never went there.

Maybe the Nox moved in with the Furlings or something.

4. teacake

Can we attempt some Spoiler freeness btw? Spoiler tags for whats' ahead would be nice :) My memory is pretty potty.

Brief Candle
    : Thanks to Richard Dean Anderson's acting this was a rather touching story. Yes it's the usual but they made it as much about O'Neill as about the makeup and the race against time and that worked for me. Quite funny seeing the stunned looks of the SG team as their leader just gets up without a word and goes off to have sex with a girl he just met. I can see them thinking.. "well uhh.. he IS in charge so I guess this is his call.." Another reminder that this is not Star Trek.

Thor's Hammer: What a bunch of crazy ass gobbledegook. But they crammed a whole lot of info into this one that I suspect will have relevance later on and it's refreshing to step out of the sci fi tropes that have been the previous eps. The Unas was very impressive costume wise, looked like something out of Dr. Who.

5. gturner

gturner Admiral

Oops! I thought you'd probably watched more of the series than you really had.

Thor was voiced by Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson). :)

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Cold Lazarus is certainly among the best eps. of the first season.

7. teacake

Some general observations..

O'Neill is a very good looking man. And amusing.

When is Daniel going to get a hair cut?! He looks like a Peanuts character!

General Hammond: Cosplaying as a turtle?

The Torment of Tantalus: This was pretty interesting at the start and the crumbling castle perched over the cliff shots were fab. Rather a lot of..

Daniel:"No! No! My precious!"

O'Neill: "I don't understand and I don't care!"

I gather that will be a constant theme, the endless wonder geek vs the military.

I loved seeing the old guy step into the stargate in 40's scuba gear.

8. teacake

Bloodlines: I guess there's no point shipping Teal'c now that we know he's devoted to a super hot wife, not that there was much point anyway :lol: I do hope this isn't the last we hear of this. And hey, couldn't he have had this this great idea to rescue the kid a month before rather than within minutes of his implantation?

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the first and only episode Carter's ex-fiance SG officer turned god appears in.

The Ancient's alliance was never intended to be anything significant by the writers. They wanted there to be a connection between the Ancient's and the Asgard, and decided that since there were four races represented in The Torment of Tantalus that for the other two, one would be a race previously seen (the Nox) and one would be new (hte Ferlings).

The popularity of the alliance and the Ferlings among fans was unexpected.
    Yes, Thor's Hammer does establish much that is important for the rest of the series.

Not yet, he isn't Shanks does the voice of Thor in his natural alien form, which isn't seen until season 2.

10. teacake

Well at least we now know what kind of man Carter almost gets married to.

11. teacake

Fire and Water: Daniel Jackson is captured by a lovelorn Naga and imprisoned in Vashj'ir. Meanwhile back on earth his friends trash his pad.

This is the first time I've thought Daniel Jackson looked hot. He lost his huge glasses and got scruffy. Most of the time he just looks like Encyclopedia Brown :lol:

The score in this episode was particularly good, I kept noticing it and being impressed.

I loved this ep, so far it is my favorite.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"What fate Omoroca?" Yeah, this is a pretty good episode. The alien is pretty cool, too.

13. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Points for getting the WoW reference? :alienblush:

14. teacake

Well that's what it looked like!! It did! Right down to the architecture!

Of course WoW shamelessly ripped off or homaged the Minbari, they created a whole freaking race of Minbari and their "crystal cities". So these little bridges were built long ago.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Trump finally fired her.

16. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

The Mantid storyline does seem to pretty much be the Wraith one too. A insectoid species that awakens to kill every x amount of years woken early by the appearance of travellers from afar...

17. teacake

Hathor: This was just hilarious! But first I must compliment Hathor on her nail polish. It's pretty hot, not quite Pulp Fiction levels but the subtle glitter is a nice touch. Matches her hair too.

[​IMG]

So in this ep Daniel Jackson completely forgets he is married and sleeps with the Goa'uld queen. Immediately afterward she is seen in a steaming birthing pool (conveniently located in the locker room). Squeaky larval noises are coming from the water leading to can't-unsee-it visions of what is coming out of where :ack:

The little doctor, Janet Frasier is great in this, I hope we see more of her other than the background doctor role. She is pretty spunky, I'd love it if she was the gay character but I suppose that is too much to wish for.

I also hope we see Hathor again.

18. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I remember loving Hathor. She had that cheeky Suzie Plakson quality. Just starting rewatching S1 so doubt will ever catch you up. Only thing struck me about pilot two-parter is I could swear my blu-ray version is different to DVD one I saw few years ago. The effects not only look better (duh) but actually slightly different, as does the whole show. Maybe it's just time/nostalgia, or maybe one of the SG experts knows if there are differences.

19. teacake

I'll be taking three days off soon as I won't have access to my dvd's though I'll be online. So if you marathon it you can catch up! And yes the actress was very good.. she has a great profile too, this slightly hooked Egyptian nose and smirky eyes.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

There is plenty of fodder throughout the show to encourage the Samantha Carter/Janet Frasier 'shippers.