DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

SG-1 knew how to do a DVD release, commentaries on the majority of episodes etc..

2. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe Trek actors are too costy for "just" a commentary.

3. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not if they didn't build you a motorway - it sucks trying to get into East Anglia for that reason, the only big road (the A14) is insanely overloaded. But, end of analogy I guess!

Hasn't that sort of happened? As far as I can tell bog standard ADSL is now dirt cheap, whereas the high speed connectivity of Virgin Media, BT Infinity etc. commands a bit of a premium.

Don't forget as soon as the mobile operators stop focussing on charging silly money for haf a stinking gig of data on contracts lasting longer than those with the red horny guy, which should happen with a bit more competition, then we should have mobile data as an additional option.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well living in area with standard ADSL upto 8Mb I can tell you it's not dirt cheap, it might be dirt cheap if its an LLU exchange but if your on a non LLU excahnge it's expensive.

If you are in a non LLU area, you’ll find that all the ADSL providers will be using BT wholesale, so you can’t expect much difference from one to another. The majority of non LLU deals will have restrictive download allowances. The rules that apply to a package in a town or city won’t apply to you! These packages will also be around £10 more expensive on average. Offers for non LLU broadband users are out there they’re just difficult to come by – so keep your eyes peeled!

http://www.inviewonline.co.uk/rural-broadband-problems-the-solutions/

so more expensive for an inferior service

When my exchange goes fibre I'll end up paying a few pound more than I currently pay

But we are going off topic

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back on topic - there's a Facebook group to show your support for DS9-HD

https://www.facebook.com/DeepSpaceNine

1,600 likes since June 23, not bad. It probably won't amount to much, but if interest gets into the tens of thousands, that could show CBS a good chunk of the fanbase supports it.

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks! I liked it! :techman:

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I 'liked' it as well. Even though it isn't something I do very often on Facebook.

8. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Same here. Even used that "invite friends to like" feature for those I know love DS9. Any way to support a DS9 remaster, I'm all in for.

9. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I really feel that they should make a DS9 sampler BD to see if market potential is big enough, as there is obviously doubt about profitability of such an undertaking. After finishing TNG sason 7 and with the season 6 DS9 HD-material they may be able to put such a sampler together at reasonable cost to them. Even if the actual HD remastering of the whole series would not happen immediately.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't see myself buying a sampler personally.

To paraphrase a movie, "I don't want some of the episodes, I want -all- the episodes!"

11. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Not terribly surprised that it's not happening to be honest. I've always felt that DS9 Blu-rays were more of a pipe dream since I don't think the series even gets rerun all that much these days and has never been all that popular with the powers that be. Still it's a shame as I would've loved it to happen.

12. dub

But but but...nobody's saying "it's not happening." The only thing that has been confirmed is there are "currently no plans."

[​IMG]

13. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I still haven't given up hope that DS9 and Voyager will get blu ray releases someday. It makes me sad to think they'll never get the upgrade that the rest of the franchise has gotten.

14. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

I still have hard time stomaching Enterprise getting the blu-ray treatment before DS9. It was the least successful of all the Star Trek series and was canceled early. I know it's production allowed for an easier transfer, but the show still sucked and should have been the last one to get the blue ray treatment.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm sure production costs played a huge role in it getting released.

16. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I'd say 4 seasons is a decent run. The last two seasons at least made up for the first two.

The people at CBS made a smart decision. DS9 and Voyager on Blu-ray is still up in the air because of the costs involved. Releasing Enterprise would be much cheaper because of how it was filmed. Why should they wait however many years before a solid decision is made on DS9 and Voyager when they could release it now? Just because some fans didn't like it doesn't mean they should delay it.

17. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

Ok, but if they released in december 2014 a sampler of 4 episodes with NO confirmed plans to release the entire series, would you buy that, as it may be the only DS9-HD you will see for the next 2 to 5 years?

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends how long those plans remained non-confirmed for I suppose. Also, the specific episodes in question.

19. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

Emissary is the perfect choice, no? It is the best pilot by far. It is superior than most of the TNG two-parters. And it features TNG cast.

20. dub

Give me season one and I'll be first in line to give them my money. At that point it's real. :techman: