Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Six

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which presupposes that they had a choice. I assume the episodes we got are ones they already had mostly completed at the point of cancellation, while the Maul one was in an earlier stage and thus actually animating it would've required money, time, and resources they just weren't given. So it was either a comic or nothing.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I rather like the introduction of the midi-chlorians in Star Wars. I always tried to compare and contrast it with Trek's Psionics.

In Star Wars, the Force is universal, everyone may have a little. In Trek, you have very little, or you become a god. In SW, it is evened out--at least until Force Unleashed.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Maybe so. Either way it would have been preferable to get a two- or three-episode arc instead of a comic book that fewer people will see and bother to read, but as long as the Cyborg Maul storyline is resolved once and for all I suppose that's the most important thing.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Clovis episodes were actually held back from almost a year earlier in the production cycle for some reason, so those were in the can way before the cancellation. They were allowed to complete the work on the episodes already in the process of being animated, so they didn't get to choose to start new amazing episodes from scratch.

5. Christopher

So do I. I love the analogy of the biological with the spiritual. Mitochondria in real life are amazing, thought-provoking things -- symbiotic organisms to which we owe our very existence, at once separate life forms and inseparable parts of ourselves. Without the energy -- the "life force" -- they provide, we couldn't exist. I think that introducing a more mystical analogue for the same thing -- symbionts on which living things depend for their connection to the spiritual force of the universe -- is a lovely idea, kind of poetic. It also ties nicely into the Eastern philosophical influences on Star Wars. In Western thought, the physical and the spiritual are seen as separate and mutually exclusive realms, so the idea of something spiritual/mystical having a biological component is strange to us; but in Eastern thought, the physical and the spiritual are aspects of the same thing. Blending Asian-style mysticism with modern cellular biology is really quite clever. I think it's one of the only truly imaginative and original things George Lucas has ever thought of.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

6X13 Sacrifice (Series Finale)

No more Clone Wars :( :( :(

Great episode to end on though! While it was obviously make-believe, I absolutely loved seeing another Yoda Sidious duel. Those are my two favorite characters, and when we first saw them fighting in the trailer for ROTS I went absolutely bananas.

I do wonder if they're going too far with the revelations pre-ROTS, though. Yoda is told there is another Skywalker, but doesn't tell anyone this until after ROTS?

Why in the world did Yoda and Anakin bother to take some clones with them to fight the two Sith Lords???? They were CLEARLY going to be immediately killed :lol:

My one big nitpick. I've never heard of Morabund before. I thought Korriban or Ziost was the homeworld of the Sith. It looked exactly like Korriban from the KOTR games. Why not just call it Korriban?

To quote Wookiepedia: "The Sith Order was a sect of Force-sensitives who utilized the dark side of the Force. The term "Sith" originally referred to a species of aliens native to the planets Korriban and Ziost, who were later enslaved and ruled by exiled Dark Jedi from the Galactic Republic. "

I just realized we didn't get a single Grevious appearance in Season Six. They really stopped using him after Season One, didn't they??? So was his final appearance in 5X10 with the frog guy and the droids then?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  7. Christopher

Well, remember the context -- at this point, Luke and Leia haven't even been born yet. Probably this was in reference to Padme being pregnant (though I'm just guessing the timing allows for that).

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm off to re-read Darth Plagueis! :D Followed by Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord, probably...

9. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

It is Korriban.
    Apparently George Lucas liked the name Moraband better so that's why they changed it. But it's the same planet, just known under a different name at the time.

10. cooleddie74

Yeah, much like Palpatine was once referred to as "Senate President" rather than Supreme Chancellor in books published prior to the launch of the Prequel Trilogy and firmly establishing terminology from that period in history. Same office, just a different title.

It's the same planet, just with a change to the spelling. They even sound almost the same so it's not like, say, the decision to alter the planned name of the Klingon Homeworld in Trek from "Kling" to "Qo'noS." A lot more obvious a change.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'd say it's more like Arrakis becoming Rakis in the Dune novels. In the sense that it's the same word whose pronunciation has changed over the course of millennia.

Assuming the end of the micro-series picks up right after this, it does actually line up quite. IIRC Kenobi & Anakin are stuck in a months long siege before the sequence of events that leads directly into the start of RotS, by which point she's got to be somewhere in the region of 7-8 months along, depending on how much time passes in the film itself. So yeah, in theory she should already be pregnant for most of the last season.

As for the "another Skywalker" line, I think it was more of a slightly out of context prescient thing, not merely a reference to Padme's pregnancy. They are Yoda's last words, which you even hear in the background delivered as they're heard in RotJ. "Another Skywalker" may be inaccurate (strictly speaking), but it's also true, from a certain point of view. ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  12. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Great way to end the series. I wonder how much of that was able to be tweaked once the cancellation was announced. Thinking about it now, Yoda's comments really play into his "wars not make one great" line to Luke when they first meet.

13. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I took that as a prediction of the future. In fact, it made me think that those beings might be the force ghosts for the Jedi we know behind the masks. So that was future Yoda ghost guiding himself how to become Yoda ghost.

14. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really well stated, Christopher, I feel the exact same way.

15. cooleddie74

That's a pretty interesting concept to consider. If being part of the living Force means that space and time basically have no meaning and one's conscious spirit can travel just about anywhere given enough skill then it's not outside the realm of possibility that post-ROTJ Spirit Yoda could be helping guide his younger self to ensure that certain events take place as they should.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think so.

If anything I think these Priestesses are the most likely candidates to be the Whills, the mysterious alien beings whose Journal is suppose to be the basis for Star Wars.

We know that the Whills according to Qui-Gon in the scenes cut from the ROTS script first discovered how to be immortal within the Force (like these priestesses). It's also convenient of course the fact R2 was there with Yoda on the planet and according to Lucas he becomes one of the primary sources for the Journal.

17. Christopher

Well, you know what they say -- where there's a Whill, there's a way.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They should leave the timey-wimey stuff to Doctor Who. :p

19. cooleddie74

The beings in question probably aren't any future Jedi spirits to begin with, but it would be an interesting spin. Hey, as long as the SW universe never goes bat guano crazy with the use of time travel like other franchises I would never be opposed to the idea of, say, Jedi possessing of tremendous Force powers contacting and communicating with certain beings existing in other time frames.

Hey, beats seeing more farting pack animals. :)

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have greatly preferred nothing. No comic follow up whatsoever.

Why? Because then the fans would be in a more agreeable position to say to the showrunners at Rebels/Star Wars nu-film spin offs, etc: "Hey, do you think maybe at some point you could fix the gigantic error in judgment you made about bringing back a character from the dead (widely contemptuous among the fan base) only to leave the storyline hanging post-cancellation?"

Isn't it basically the same writing/production team? Seems like their mess to fix. On screen, not on paper. They did everything right (the stories were great) except for leaving the biggest loose end untied. Maul was the main villain of Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace. This isn't some random pirate or space thug, or one-off character without a name for the film version. It's. Freakin'. MAUL. His fate should be revealed on screen, as was his resurrection.

I know they don't have any obligation to the fans but, like I said, as fans the bargaining position is far greater sans comic conclusion.

If Disney wasn't so clearly anti-PT, I would have suspected that they intend to somehow work Maul into episodes 7~9 somehow. You can't deny the fanwank appeal of Maul vs. Luke Skywalker. :guffaw:

I couldn't agree more... the linear representation of the Star Wars universe is a welcome contrast to the rest of current, past and future sci fi offerings.
    A time-traveling ghost would be interesting enough as its own story anyway!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014