(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Given the constant fall in attendances all the way to the paltry 8,000 or so at their FA Cup game, it's just Matt Smith. Just about.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

;) Could be, although are they allowed to count the chickens in the attendance? That has to bump it up a bit!

3. HappyDayRiot

Given how often chickens seem to be on the pitch lately I think they're counted as part of the playing squad.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Is it just me or does all the major leagues looked wrapped up already, talking about boring...

* Man Utd 15 points clear
    * Barcelona 13 points clear
    * Juventus 11 points clear
    * Bayern Munich 20 points clear
    * PSG 8 points clear (though Lyon have 1 game in hand)

Even CL for me is blah though thats because no English involvement and Barcelona remain in it (god they bore me). I hope for a Real vs. Bayern final after their encounter last year. I can't believe the Europa League looks good for once :lol:

5. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

7 points ahead of Marseille Now. I like this kind of boredom, for this year at least :)

Anyway, back to reality this evening :(

6. HappyDayRiot

^PSG did well!

Not that you'd ever know based on the coverage on ITV. A sample question between host and pundits: "Do you think Xavi, Iniesta and Messi will be awed by playing against David Beckham?"

The Europa League looks good, and the Eredivise is also a lot more open than the five leagues you've listed there. But anyway, who needs the major leagues when our very own Championship is so open across the board? About 6 games to go and only about 3 teams have nothing to play for out of 24, there's only 8 points between 23rd and 11th and there's a mighty tussle for automatic and play-off positions, with teams swandiving and rising like Lazarus all over the place.

....or are you already sheltering yourself against the prospect of Forest in the play-offs? It might not be so bad this time!

7. Shaytan

Do you think that's the real reason Messi didn't play the 2nd half ? :shifty:

I'm very pleased with the way it ended yesterday. Of course, it's going to be very very difficult next week but they were far from ridiculous and the 1st 40 minutes (before the goal) were very exiting. If only Lavezzi could be more efficiant !

We're really thinking about a monument to Thiago Silva's glory :lol:
    He's a monster.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest are unbeaten under Billy but our playoff fate will probably be decided by our last game of the season against Leicester so not surprised if we might just miss out. If we do get there then I fully expect another 2nd leg collaspe we are so famous for. My other team "Mansfield Town" are set for a return to the Football League so at least someone will get promoted from my local area ;)

There is no reason why we can't challenge for a top 2 next season though based off the Billy revival so far.

9. HappyDayRiot

^Mansfield? Not if my local team Newport County have anything to do with it. Or of course my Welsh Red Dragon brothers, Wrexham ;)

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:p NOT a chance, we've waited too long to get back into the football league and Stags owe me still for making me travel to Cardiff for the League 2 Playoff final back in 2004 that we loss on penatlies.

11. HappyDayRiot

When did Mansfield last drop out of the League? I thought it was only within the last decade, 2006 or so? At least you got to go to Cardiff, that was a piece of luck.

Still they did themselves a world of good, losing from a winning position to Wrexham last night ;)

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think it was 2008 they were relegated from League Two, the 2004 final was to get back to League One after being relegated the year before.

13. HappyDayRiot

That be about right - I remember the relegation but not the play-offs.

But then, we've all done our best to forget play-offs over the years.

14. Shaytan

:sigh: So close...

Next year should be great :)

15. HappyDayRiot

It's a bit daft really that a team that loses neither leg of a tie gets eliminated. They ought to play extra time in situations like Barca-PSG and have the away goals only count after 120 minutes. Or indeed not count at all.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well done to the Malaysian Red Dragons for gaining promotion to the Prem :devil:

Seriously, well done Cardiff.

17. HappyDayRiot

You're too kind :D

18. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very pleased that Cardiff have gone up......means we don't have to turn up for our annual drubbing next season! :lol:

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good point!!

20. HappyDayRiot

Our absence could be the difference between your mid-table obscurity and promotion. Indeed, won't next year be around the time you were always planning to kick on after 3-4 years of building under Nigel?

On a fun note, I did the BBC's Predictor earlier. I had four teams all finishing on 55 points and Wolves went down on goal difference with Blackburn in 21st. I think the playoffs were Watford, Leicester, Brighton and Bolton. What a division. I might even miss it ;)