Tron 3 is coming (and Garrett Hedlund is confirmed to come back)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mach5, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Heck, the laser technology itself could cure all diseases and injuries. Just scan someone into the Grid, modify their code, and beam them back out in a repaired form.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

CLU couldn't try to take over the world the way the MCP was planning on doing because the server he was contained in was cut off from the rest of the world. It was a self-contained world not linked into the rest of the Internet. He'd have to find a way to connect it to the rest of the World's networks to try and do what the MCP was doing.

Perhaps that was his plan? Emerged in our world, simply buy a wi-fi connection and use it to send his army all over cyberspace?

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^That's seems logical, but we are talking about a movie where there's another universe inside a computer, and people who go there have godlike powers because they really are inside the computer!

Nonetheless, neither Tron nor Tron Legacy incorporate magic. They both allege there are scientific explanations for the fantastic stuff. It's true that they are really crappy explanations that can't make it across the theater lobby after you leave the movie, but they are supposed to be natural. That's all it takes to be SF. Tron main selling point was the wonderfully orginal art design. The story was weak, hence it was a failure. Though of us who liked the story well enough turned Tron into a cult movie. Tron Legacy had a much stronger story, so despite the inescapably less original art design, it was more successful.

But Tron Legacy ends with an affirmation of the value of the material world over cool light shows. It's hard to see how the series can be extended without undoing the resolution of Tron Legacy. Still, I'll give it a shot. Maybe they'll surprise me with something new, or unexpected but logical. (Even though logic hasn't been the Tron universe's strong suit.)

4. Christopher

Well, sure, that's the way the screenwriters set up the situation, but that's just my point -- that the writers set things up in a silly way because they chose to give the villain a plan that was frankly rather underwhelming and unimpressive compared to what the MCP almost achieved. I mean, really, for the early '80s, the idea of using a computer network to take over the world was still pretty bold and futuristic. But Clu was inside a computer network in our modern hyper-computerized world, and his big evil master plan was to fall back on what conventional armies have been doing for centuries. It just wasn't as ambitious or creative an idea on the screenwriters' part. It felt like a big step down from the original film, which is not what you want in a sequel.

I waited to see Legacy until I was able to rent a copy of the original film so I could watch them on consecutive days. And that turned out to be a bad call, because Legacy is a sequel that works a hell of a lot better if you haven't seen the original film at all, or at least not recently enough to remember it clearly. Back to back, the inconsistencies and shortfalls of the sequel are just too prominent.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really loved Legacy, but I agree the bit at the end about invading the real world was completely unnecessary and straining "credibility".

6. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a more specific plan for Clu worked out, but much of it didn't make it into clear dialog in the shooting script.

To be fair, the very BASIC logic laid out by Flynn should have scary implications for anyone: "Clu figures if I can be in here, he can be out there". There's a few things implicit in that statement.

Assuming Clu can in fact take Flynn's place, that alone is a clear and present danger. Clu is as smart as Flynn, who is something of a genius. He looks like Kevin Flynn. Sounds like him. There's a real danger he could find a way to take over Kevin's old company, which in Tron is now one of the richest companies on Earth. Clu is also a misguided megalomaniac. That's enough "game over man" for anyone. Bad things would clearly result.

Honestly, the only unfortunately unclear thing we see on the screen is that Clu isn't just trying to get Flynn's disc so he can "open the lock" from the inside and beam out himself. He's flying a carrier to the lock, and plugs the disc into the carrier to program it in some way, for some plan. And Flynn says "he's found out a way to take it all with him".

In the overarching plot for the series, which as evidently already been largely mapped out before and after Legacy, that could have been referring to Clu escaping and transferring his own forces, electronically, to the computers of the outside world. As just one scenario.

As for places a Tron 3 could go, in fact there's a lot of possibilities that flow naturally from the end of Legacy. Look at it this way. Sam Flynn has just been handed the keys to a powerful megacorporation. He is now beyond rich. He has discovered an alternate dimension. He has a device that allows people to enter, and entities created inside to be extracted. He has renewed drive in life thanks to discovering the fate of his father.

Clearly, this boy is going to start some sh*t.

Plus, don't forget - Ed Dillinger Jr, and Dillinger Systems, Encom's rival in the technology world.

My own guess is that full of perhaps naive idealism, Sam will attempt to continue his father's work as well as reforming Encom to support Flynn's vision of technology improving life in the real world and spreading information enlightenment. And probably overreach himself (like father, like son), with some critical miscalculation, and the story is rolling. Very likely, the situation may be taken advantage of by Dillinger Jr.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

One theory was that Dillinger Jr used some aspects of the MCP program to create the new software for Encom that Sam released all over the internet in Legacy. A possible plot for Tron 3 was the MCP being reactivated, only now it's pure software that exists as pure data and not as a single program in a single device and it's achieved it's goal of spreading all over the world like it wanted in the first film.

The only way to stop it is to go back into the Grid (the real Web, not the isolated one) and battle it there.

8. Christopher

^If it means getting David Warner back, at least in voice, I'm all for it.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Agreed. Tron always needs more David Warner.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This has been in development limbo for awhile. Some speculation on a few sites was that with Disney acquiring Marvel and Star Wars that they shifted focus on Tron 3 for the certainty of the other two.

Now that they've tended to Marvel & Star Wars they are back to shoring up Tron.

12. Christopher

They already tried to expand the franchise with TRON: Uprising, and that didn't last long.

Hmm... imagine a scenario where Disney buys Rainmaker (formerly Mainframe) Entertainment, Toei Animation (and/or Bandai), and Splash Entertainment (formerly MoonScoop), letting them establish a cyberspace cinematic universe incorporating TRON, Reboot, Digimon, and Code Lyoko. :D

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That makes sense. I'm one of the few people who actually liked Legacy, so I'm curious to see where they are going with this one.
    EDIT: This post was in response to Captain Craig, Christopher's post came up while I was writing.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

FINALLY! I loved Tron Legacy and I've been dying for a sequel ever since!

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's just the nature of live action but I'd like the visuals to be a little more Syd Mead and a little less Daft Punk.

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am glad to hear this. Every couple months I search to see if there was any updates. I had just checked a few days ago before this was known. It has been clear the movie was not abandoned but had not been a priority. Good to know that has changed.

I was not a huge fan of Legacy but I do want to see the ideas further and better developed. Hopefully they will release Uprising on DVD and Blu-ray now. I never saw the whole series.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i too loved Tron Legacy. glad to see the third film is back on.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I also liked Tron Legacy. I'm definitely interested to see what they do with Tron 3.

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I really hope we see or hear David Warner in this one. Plus more of the real Tron.

I know it takes time to develop ideas and for films to get made. But they can not presume to wait for the next sequel again. What if this 3rd film is not a success? Even it happening was not a sure thing. Most of all those actors are not getting younger. The death of Leonard Nimoy and Harrison Ford's lucky survival of his plane crash really has made me thing about something. We should appreciate the chances we have to see these actors have at returning to their famous roles. Even if we do not love the actual movies. At some point it will not even be an option.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No you're not.

You're one of the many people who liked it. :)