Peter Pan Prequel: Neverland coming to Syfy and Sky winter 2011

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 26, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there was a official sequel, Peter Pan in Scarlet, which was written by Geraldine McCaughrean in 2006, which was authorized by the Great Ormond Street Hospital, the current rights holders. There was also a series of prequels published by Disney's Hyperion Books and written by Dave Berry and Ridely Pearson. The books in this series include Peter and the Starcatchers (published in 2004), Peter and the Shadow Thieves (2006), Peter and the Secret of Rudoon (2007) Peter and the Sword of Mercy (2009) and the still in progress Bridge to Neverland. According to the Wikipedia page for Sword of Mercy, these book have not been authorized by the Great Ormond Street Hospital.

2. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Hmmm... Never heard of Peter Pan in Scarlet. I knew about the others, but I figured they weren't "official" books, and since I couldn't remember the titles, I went general in my comment.

Thanks for the info!

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Peter Pan is on a fairly lengthy list of the classics I'm planning on reading, and if I like it I plan on reading all or at least some of those. But apparently both the Starchers series, and, surprisingly, Peter Pan in Scarlet do contradict the original story. From what I read the prequels totally change the origins of Neverland, and it's inhabitants.

4. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Oh Peter Pan's a great read. I loved it. Been years since I read it; I really should read it again.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

funny to see this thread after deciding coincidentally to watch HOOK last night. I hope they don't overdo it, but a bit of good comedy would benefit the series. I love the fact that Hoskins is returning to the role of Smee, and I hope that he can have a comic moment or two. "What about Smee? Smee's me. What about me?"

Funny if you could play this, Peter, Pan, and Hook as a trilogy but each film a completely different medium than the other (miniseries, Disney animated feature, feature film)

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

What cracks me up about Hook is that, despite it being loved by a lot of people, nearly everybody who made it thought it was a piece of shit. I don't know anybody my age who doesn't love that movie.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well it is a bit bloated in some places... Neverland looks like sets with too many extras.

Some of Spielberg's magic is in the film though. Things I like:
    - The idea that Granny Wendy could be the inspiration for the girl Wendy gives her is enough of an interesting mistique, but the idea that she actually IS Wendy is even more interesting. Spielberg knows how to play this subtlety.
    - The house in London is strangely evocative. classic Spielberg is the way he filmed the return of the parents to see all the Hook-scrawlings on the wall.
    - I loved Tootles. My favorite moment is his listening to the dog barking and say "Hook - Hook!"
    - Maybe it's the music, but the scene where the quiet Lost Boy examines Peter's face is just awesome

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

also, isn't the musical leitmotif frm Harry Potter taken from Hook?

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Hook! Hook was actually my first introduction to the Peter Pan mythos when I was a kid.

10. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Well, they're both done by John Williams, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. A lot of his newer stuff (HP, SW prequels) sound quite a bit alike.

My ideal Peter Pan marathon would be Finding Neverland; this mini-series; the 2003 Peter Pan (with the alternate ending); and Hook.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

ah, good call on your mataron