arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

no prob :) I used to do athletics when I was young and the apricots were always a good way to avoid cramps without doping. Also, with 4 cases of cancer in the family and elderly (and not very healthy) parents, one acquires a fairly good medical knowledge and learns about alternatives to pills that have less side effects and interactions.
    In my experience old people often refuse to take their medication or take it only irregularly. If you treat them by dietary means instead, there's less chance for them to cheat.

2. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

This Arrrgh is entirely shallow and superficial, but:

I just found out that Fan Expo Toronto is hosting a Re-Animator and From Beyond reunion. In the horror genre Fan Expo in my city will have Tom Savini, Elvira, and a few people who played minor (or masked) parts on film.

I know Fan Expo is new in my city and a lot of people don't want to take the chance of coming here until it becomes established...but, come on, this is a perfectly good chance to see Jeffrey Combs in person and it is just out of reach!

I wonder how much flight, hotel and tickets would set me back...

This is just not right! :)

End superficial and shallow rant.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My caregiving rant, people...
    Mom, when I'm reminding you to do something, I am not being "mean," dammit. I'm trying to make sure you don't fall, land on the armrest of your wheelchair or otherwise require major medical assistance. I'm not "defending" Dad when I'm making a statement of fact about when he's coming home. Your throwing a tantrum is not necessary or appreciated.

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Sounds a lot like dealing with my oldest son, who has Asperger's.

5. rhubarbodendron

{{{{{{{Peach Woookie}}}}}}} I know what you mean. There are days when everything I say to my parents is inevitably wrong.

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Today's ARGH! All I've eaten today is chicken broth and five brussels sprouts. Why the fuck is my blood sugar still 435? Grrr.

7. rhubarbodendron

Didn't you say you got a different insuline? It's possible your body ignores it. Call your doc asap, please!

There is a second possibility, though much less likely: the liver can turn sugar into fat without the help of insuline. This fat is stored for emergencies when it's turned back into sugar again by the liver. Maybe you are too hungry and your liver started to use up the fat reserves. Your doc can test that by having a look at your Triglyceride levels. Triglyceride is the transport variety for fat. At your age the level shold be about 200 [mg/dl]. Given your diabetes 300 would still be not too bad. Anything beyond 400 would be alarming even for a diebetic, unless your family has a history of too high Triglyceride levels (hereditary Hypertriglyceridemia).

8. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I had a fight with my neighbor this morning. I never meant to raise my voice to her, but she went on and on about how messy having books in a bookcase was. We have a reading nook at the corners of each wing, with a bookcase and books...she's been taking all the books out and putting them elsewhere in the building.

I brought a bunch of them back and she caught me doing it, so I told her not to remove them again and she got angry. I complained that all she left were a bunch of bibles ; she came back with they weren't hers but belonged to another tenant...so I said that these books weren't hers either; they belonged to other tenants. Before you could spit, she was yelling at me about leaving a bunch of books in that bookcase, making it look messy, and I was telling her she was pretty arrogant to think she had the right to decide which books we should be allowed in the bookcase.

So it went from bad to worse and I'm probably going to get yelled at by management tomorrow when she goes to the office to complain about me.

Goodbye nice peaceful Sunday.

9. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^Books make a bookcase look messy?! What does she think a bookcase is for?

10. Ghost07

Apparently...bibles and other religious pamphlets...all she left there were 6 bibles and a pile of little magazines like The Good Word, and stuff like it.

I'm not against bibles, I have one, yes, but I also like to read a good mystery or thriller or other books by authors like James Patterson, or Dick Francis etc. etc. etc.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That arrangement sounds odd to me. I assume you live in an apartment or condominium complex? I've seen buildings with communal swimming pools, rec rooms, tennis courts, and fitness centers, but never a common reading room.

12. Ghost07

It's a senior living complex with a hundred apartments in it. We have a community room, a gymnasium, a chapel, and, 4 reading nooks...2 upstairs and 2 downstairs...each has a couple chairs, a table with a lamp, and a bookcase supposedly filled with books.

oh...and a puzzle corner where anyone can work on jigsaw puzzles.

13. thestrangequark

Oh, goodness no! Don't worry. 435 is not near high enough to call a doctor over -- Remember, I'm a type 1 diabetic. I've definitely been over 600 a few times and 400s happen a few times a year. I've been on this insulin for a few weeks now, and it's definitely working fine. The high was most likely due to the fact that I was sick with a stomach bug (also the reason I hadn't eaten), and possibly due to poor absorption at the infusion site (which I changed, just in case). I was just frustrated.
    The process you're talking about is gluconeogenesis, and believe me, as a type 1 diabetic athlete I understand gluconeogenesis well! My blood sugar control is frustrated by gluconeogenesis more than anything else, especially during 3 hour or longer bike rides. When you're doing cardio that long, especially on a moderately low-carb diet, gluconeogenesis kicks in. It also is the cause of the Dawn Phenomenon, when diabetics' blood sugar is consistently high in the morning: the liver produces glucose in the early hours of the morning to prepare people for their days, which is fine, if you're not diabetic. And no worries about my triglycerides either. Aside from diabetes and low vitamin D I'm in perfect health. :) Gluconeogenesis was very likely a contributing factor to why I was running high, as well as cortisol, which, as a stress hormone, increases when you're sick. So I did know why it was high -- or at least the most likely culprits, it's just that when you take 2 units of insulin after reading 230, and an hour later you're reading 430, the only thing you can think is, "Serious, WTF?!"

Coincidentally, I just got my blood work done:

Total cholesterol:198
    HDL(good): 94, which is ridiculously high because I workout so much
    LDL(bad):104 (4 points above the ideal, but not worth worrying over)
    Triglycerides: 60 -- were you saying 300???

The only things that came up were type 1 diabetes antibodies and low vitamin D. My A1C is 8, which isn't great but is to be expected during the first few months of adjusting to the pump. Remember, BIG difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes! :)

14. Peach Wookiee

tsq, are you a brittle diabetic or is your sugar usually pretty level? My dad and I are in a quandry with my mom at the moment and I need to know if there's something I'm missing.

And now, my rant. STUPID FREAKIN' GROIN PULL! I pulled it a couple of weeks ago and thanks to Mom being less emotionally stable on Friday, I had to lift her into the chair the old way. And dammit... doing it twice meant I aggravated the injury! I'm on ibuprofen and Tylenol together...

15. thestrangequark

Is your mom type 1? Because, as I noted before, type 1 and type 2 aren't even the same disease, so my experiences will be very different to someone with type 2. However, if there are any questions I can help you with, I am fairly well-educated about both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, and would be happy to share anything I know, or point you to some good resources.

As far as I know, Brittle Diabetes is just an outdated term for uncontrolled type 1 diabetes. I have generally good control. My A1C has always run between 6.5 and 7.5, with the exception of the current 8 (which was planned, to err on the safe side while switching to pump therapy and calibrating the pump) and one massive 14 when I was in my mid twenties and suffered Diabetes Burnout. Type 1 diabetics are not expected to achieve the same kind of control that is possible for type 2 diabetics, nor would that be possible, even under the best circumstances. The kind of upswing I mentioned in my earlier post is not atypical or alarming for a type 1 diabetic. A type 2 might freak out and call their doctor if they saw a number like that on their meter, but a type 1 will generally just get annoyed and take some insulin. Hell, I've had my glucose be so high that my meter wouldn't read it a few times (most meters cut off around 600 and just say "HI"), and I just took insulin and waited for it to go down.

16. Peach Wookiee

My mom's Type I. And we've been doing our best to keep it all controlled. She was diagnosed 54 years ago. It wasn't until about four years ago that we started checking her sugar levels with regularity and then it was a couple of years ago that she switched from the Humulin N insulin to the Novolog and Lantus.

17. thestrangequark

Holy moly!

I was on the old Regular and NPH (Not Particularly Helpful ;) ) regimen when I was first diagnosed, but I switched to Humalog and Lantus 10 years ago. Has she ever considered pumping?

What kind of problems are you having? I'd be happy to help if I can.

18. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

I am so not in the mood to be at work today. I'm depressed as hell and missing my friend Bryan a bit more today than i am normally. Not to mention i am one of the few people who apparently bother to show up for work on a regular basis...not to mention you know, work. I do not have the patience to work my 3-4 jobs i have normally, plus take on the work load taken on because of every one slacking. Plus, i am surrounded by a bunch of gossipy whiny women who don't stop talking :(

I need a raise...or a new job...or both.

19. Peach Wookiee

It's starting to come back into line, but her sugar shot up to 400 or past it and it's only now back down below 300. We couldn't figure out why.

20. thestrangequark

There are so many reasons it could be, as I'm sure you read in my post above. Food is only one of the things that affects blood sugar: many hormones and other metabolic processes do as well, as well as medications. Did your mother take any medications? Steroids in particular will shoot it up like that. I had to take Prednisone for an asthma attack once, and it shot me up to 550. Just plain being stressed, or not getting enough sleep can easily shoot it up that high as well. Does your mom have a good correction ratio? If she was at 400 she should probably take about 6 units of Humalog, and then check again after 4 hours and take more if she's still high.

Spiking that high shouldn't be cause for worry, just cause for action.