Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I just have to say... just got the set... just literally put disc one in and the Season Three trailer is frickin' out of this world awesome!

Season Three looks feature film good... the newer EXR fine-grain film stock from Kodak that they began using here (and Marvin Rush taking over as DP) really makes the shots pop and stand out in color, density and contrast in ways Seasons 1 & 2 just didn't.

And the VFX are wonderful... really outstanding. Love that opening shot from "Evolution" with the Enterprise falling toward the neutron star and red giant. If you thought the VFX in Season One looked good... this is even better. That is all. :)

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

AWESOME!

How do you keep getting these sets a week early?! Lucky!

Any chance you'll be able to upload it like you did last time?

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great to hear, Maxwell. I can't wait to see the trailer on the big screen Thursday.

Though my excitement over this series has dwindled considerably when faced with the prospect that 40% of the show could look substandard (the effects, at least). I hope CBS, CBS-D, the Okudas, someone - has a response to the fan backlash.

For one thing, I fear how Best of Both Worlds Part 2 will look. I was looking forward to seeing the wreckages at Wolf 359, and the Borg ship explode. But now, I cringe at the possibilities.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

2 questions:

1) How did you get the set already (A week early)

2) Did they give a timeframe as to when season 3 is coming out, or is it "Coming soon".

5. Maxwell Everett

Unfortunately now that I'm going to be doing a few things for TrekCore, I don't want to get them in trouble by association. I'm going to have to defer to whatever timetable they've been told by CBS to stick to for promotional material to be released.

All I can say is, despite my misgivings about certain shots we've been seeing, I had no trouble forking over the dough to get this sucker tonight -- completely legitimately I hasten to add! Plus I had a $50 gift card, so the $80 price tag was no big deal. If you want it, just take a trip to a few of your favorite retailers starting this week. You may be surprised to find it on the shelf. It's just a catalog title, after all.

I went to two places tonight and luckily found it at the second one. I'll be going back to price match it once the ads come out with the almost certain to be lower price. :)

6. Maxwell Everett

For #1 see my previous post... as for #2, it just said "coming soon." But I'd say we can expect it in early spring based on their intention of releasing three sets next year. Figure a set every 19 or so weeks, starting next week.

7. Maxwell Everett

So, "The Child" looked great.* The live-action looked just as good as anything in Season One. The darker, moodier lighting really translates well in HD. Even the VFX looked just fine -- no problems in this episode. The starbase looked fine in motion and it's not upscaled from SD. Audio sounded good and there were no channel mapping problems.

And it looks like Best Buy's price will be $64.99 on Dec. 4th. Go here and click the 2nd spoiler image under "Movies/Music":

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=209814

*Though now with the slightly wider frame (1.35:1) you can really see Patrick Stewart's arm and shoulder coming back into the shot when he supposedly walks away from Wesley in the corridor on his way to Ten Forward for the first time. It was that way on the DVD, but they probably expected overscan to take care of it on old TV sets. Not sure why they didn't erase it for Blu-ray -- would've been a cinch. Oh well. :lol:

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's funny because it's true...

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

All I know, is that its going to be great that one half of Best of Both Worlds looks awesome, while the other half looks like ass.

11. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Before the problem with the VFX in Season 2 came about I was a little wary of the reaction from us towards Season 3 as it introduced us to the 'infamous' 4 foot Enterprise model. But its good to see people are more concerned with and focused on the positives of having another season of high quality work from CBS D rather than unleashing hate towards the Enterprise. (I'm in the miniscule minority of people who like the 4 foot model)

12. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:wtf: Ridiculous. These comments really piss me off when you haven't even seen Season 2, never mind the fact that you have no idea what CBS may have planned for BOBW. Try writing a critique when you've SEEN what you're supposed to be criticizing.

13. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

People are upset. They're fearful of having another Season 2 quality drop if HTV sticks around for another Season or two and so am I.

I've seen enough to know in my heart that I don't want to buy Season 2. No amount of seeing it in motion or putting it on a big screen is going to fix that.

Season 1 looks outstanding on both my 42 inch LED TV and on my projector, blown up to 60 + inches.

It seems like CBS was scared they would lose sales if they didn't push the project through faster. Well, they're losing a sale right now because they did rush it and push through a lesser quality product. I'm not saying it's ass, but if it's not going to be consistent in quality with Season 1, I don't want it.

14. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I can almost picture the ending of the S3 trailer involving the last scene of BOBW pt.1 and some dramatic fades and flashes of Locutus on the viewscreen. :drool:

15. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just as an aside, how do you like having a projector? I've been thinking of going that route myself.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My pre-order from BestBuy still lists it at $79.99. Does anyone know how good they are at adjusting the price of pre-orders when the price is lowered?

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, as I expected the effects problems have probably been completely overblown on here. Maybe they aren't as perfect and polished as before, but within the context of the episode they probably work perfectly well.

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Totally right. As I stated in the review - they may not be as polished as Season 1, but the episodes still look beautiful. I'm absolutely loving Season 2 :bolian:

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Don't be posting screencaps if you don't want people criticizing the work. It's pretty simple. It is a definite step down from season one.

And if the pattern holds, Best of Both Worlds II won't be done by CBS-Digitial.

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This reminds me of the Star Wars special edition. "Only" about 1% of the movies have been affected, so what's the big deal? Well, plenty.

I liken the Star Wars trilogy changes and now season 2 of TNG to a beautiful new sports car that's been gauged along the sides by a key. Yes, the engine still roars, the seats are just as comfortable, the suspension still feels great, but the joy is gone because it feels ruined. Even if I do my best to look away from it, I still know it's there. IMO, anyway.

Some say the season 2 effects work is no big deal. Some say the Star Wars special editions are no big deal. I disagree.