How to get the younger generation interested in TOS?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by evangelist6589, May 28, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone had any luck? Most it would appear do not like TOS as they did not grow up with it so I don't blame them. When I was a kid in the 1980's Trek was on TV and I watched it often, and sometimes rented the VHS tapes. I love Trek, but I also grew up with it, an advantage many young people (under 30) did not have. Ideas, suggestions?

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd suggest the way to do it is through the movies. Then, ease them backwards into the original television episodes. I think they'd probably make the adjustment to watching the older stuff easier if they've already got a stake in those characters, so the emphasis becomes less about trying to overlook the deficiencies of older material, and more about simply seeing Kirk and crew at a younger age than they are in the movies.

3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

All I really watch is the original series, so that's what my kids think Star Trek is.

I'd say if you want to interest kids (not sure what age you're thinking about, and how sophisticated their viewing habits are - it would probably help if they're on the younger side) in the original show - you just have to show it to them. It managed to hook most of us after all...

4. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Who gives a shit? Star Trek is caviar to the general. People who want to watch quality TV will find Star Trek (and better shows) and will be the richer for having done so, regardless of age. I would just as soon not have the vast unwashed who don't get it view the show and be unable to differentiate it from Abrams' movies.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

A lot of people don't like stuff from "before my time". A lot of people can't get past changes in production values and acting styles. Some young people will get past that and perhaps be engaged by the story and a lot will not.

When introducing something like that to a new audience I always suggest picking a segment or two that might conform to their tastes (based on what else they like).

6. LavianoTS386

LavianoTS386 Admiral Admiral

I think Star Trek Remastered has helped a bit. It also helps if you live in Colorado and can legally smoke dope. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but TOS seems to be popular with the young Stoner crowd.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Start with the reboot and it's sequel, then go to TOS and/or movies II-IV. There are a few members here who started similarly.

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was already a long time Star Trek fan by then, but I must say that the 2009 movie revitalized my interest in TOS to the point where I sat down to watch the entire original series again from start to finish for the first time in like a decade (as opposed to just picking favorite episodes to watch, which is what I had been doing up to that point).

It wouldn't surprise me if a younger generation could be similarly tempted... assuming, of course, that they like the movies in the first place.

I am reliably informed that there are many things in this life to which this is an appropriate solution. Um, by which I obviously mean "moving to Colorado", heh. ;)

9. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People, not just younger people, that will discover Star Trek are basically the intellectually curious kind. What with all the bajillions of cable stations, movies, games and music of recent vintage to discover, kids will just have a low priority for something that was made when their parents probably weren't even born themselves.

Heck, i love Star Trek but never forced it on my son, and today he's a young adult and teases me mercilessly because of the perceived geekiness of it. And that's fine, because I pummel him back for his brainless addiction to watching tv pro sports.

So the original shows are still out there to enjoy, and at some point somebody will sample it and perhaps develop a taste for it. I was in my late thirties when out of curiosity I started to watch 70s-era films like the Hammer horror, blaxploitation, Rollerball & Death Race 2000 and the like...I love those, and didn't have anybody prodding me to try them.

10. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I remember when I was a kid my dad would watch old-time Buck Rogers (B/W flying clothing irons). It seemed silly to me. I just couldn't get into it. Star Trek was comparatively new and looked cool to me. Today, TOS looks quaint, at best.

11. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no surefire way to get anyone interested in anything. if you want to try, great. Take Maurice's advice and also probably stick with the TOS-R versions to they don't have the "old creaky effects" excuse to fall back on. If they like it, great. if not, then honestly it doesn't make much difference in the scheme of things. It's not like the show is going to come back with the original cast (unless the deceased are in the Pet Sematary). If interest in the original series dies after 50 years, does it really honestly matter? Will your videos vanish?

12. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm myself under 30 (26) and my first contacts with Star Trek were essentially by the movies. The "younger generation" grew up with Star Wars, so The Wrath of Khan would be not destabilizing for people who like The Empire Strikes Back.

13. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Ludovico technique

14. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I already figured out how I'm going to get my young nephews (1 & 2 1/2 y/o) to enjoy Star Trek; I've started to have its various incarnations on in the background when they are around and most of the little gifts I get for them (outfits and small soft toys) are TOS-themed.

They'll catch some Star Trek when they are near their favorite uncle and they'll have all sorts of favorite Star Trek things on, near, and around them. I avoid forcing it on them, but it'll be there to draw their attention.

15. Echtzeit

Echtzeit Lieutenant

What drags so many people away from TOS is that a lot of the episodes are complete garbage, and there is no sugar-coating it.

TNG was the first Star Trek I ever watched. I think I had seen at least the fifth TOS movie before, but I was way too young back then to remember. Anyway, TNG was the first Star Trek I've known, and when I became interested in the other stuff, I too started with the movies first. Then I started watching selected TOS episodes because people recommended them. I still consider "Amok Time", "Mirror, Mirror" some of my favorites. I even endured "Spock's Brain", so I can tell for sure, that I at least tried.

Just recommend them a few selected TOS episodes that are exceptionally good, and then let them watch the rest in their own pace.

And if you find that they are just not interested in TOS (or Trek at all, for that matter)... accept it. :)

16. evangelist6589

This may be the answer. If the kids did not grow up on TOS, perhaps the only way to interest them is this way.

However kids these days (under 30) in general think that their smart phones, iPads, MP3 Players, and Facebook are the entire universe. Most do not like to think and read books (non fiction type books) and such. Sad.. Some kids like to read Philosophy books but mostly those in college.

17. evangelist6589

My wife's son is 17 and he likes the movies but hates TOS simply because its for old people (I am 36) and its just too old. Its not just Trek as he rejects Twilight Zone and any other older movie including classics such as Its a Wonderful Life, Sorry Wrong Number, and such.

18. evangelist6589

Its not only Trek as they reject Twilight Zone and any other old movie as well. I am generally speaking at last about the 17 year old in my house.

19. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My son is 5 and he has been watching Star Trek TOS with me since he was 3 or so. He doesn't care for TNG or for the TOS movies, but he likes the TOS episodes and the reboots.

No special way of getting him to watch it other than he came home one day and I was watching it, he sat down and has watched them with me since.

20. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe 3, tops. Out of 70-something, that ain't bad. The average TOS ep is a hell of a lot better than what modern young viewers watch.
    I feel sorry for people whose first exposure to trek was something other than TOS. No wonder the young generation has no balls.
    Those who started with the Abrams movies are just a lost cause.