Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by JoeZhang, Apr 5, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/d...eccleston-quitting-rumours.html#ixzz2PaCgzwHq

So I guess there was some hope of doing 'The Three Doctors'? Wonder at which stage of the script process this happened?

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh that is a shame. Although I love the concept of a McGann Eccleston Tennant Smith Four Doctors, I also love the idea of a Smith Tennant Two Doctors. Maybe we could have McCoy replace Eccleston, he's not aged too much since 96.

But I'm still pretty sad we'll never see Eccleston again.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, that's a shame. I always knew it was a long shot but alas.

I'm still hoping Paul McGann will show up...

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My thoughts exactly.

5. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it's wishfull thinking but it sounds like the old Doctors doth protest too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the denials are just a smoke screen.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'd like to think they're all smoke screens but the pessimist in me doubts it.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'd think there'd be some "WHO hotline" where each Doctor actor would call the other one up.

Tennant's father in-law is Peter Davison. He could bring up the anniversary special.

"Hey dad. Are you interested in appearing in the anniversary special?"

Then Davison reaches out to either Tom or Colin Baker or McCoy.

McGann might be out of the loop

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, hopefully there's at least one classic Doc!

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There were rumors that there were two scripts -- one with the ninth Doctor, one without.

To be honest, I don't find those rumors particularly credible. For one thing, Moffat's not a particularly fast writer, so the idea that he would spend time writing an unusable script is silly.

No, what I think is more likely is that Eccleston politely took two meetings with Moffat. One where Moffat laid out his ideas for the anniversary special and tried to impress on Eccleston how much he wanted and hoped Eccleston would be a part of it. And one where Eccleston expressed his appreciation for being asked and said he was going to pass.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

In other news, the sky is blue.

11. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I think McGann would be good, if only to see how 10 & 11 react/treat him, knowing he was the one that used "the moment" that they still feel guilty about

Oh, and CE obviously has no consideration for how his fans feel. That is a selfish b*st*rd.

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eccleston is famously patient and warm to his fans so this is nonsense. He just... didn't wanna accept a job. Happens all the time.

13. Photoman15

It's not nonsense. He can be nice to the fans that come up to him, but basically, his fans would love to see him in at least one more Dr Who. He won't do it.

14. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

He doesn't owe his fans a damn thing.

15. DalekJim

Agreed. I was hugely disappointed and upset to read he'd turned it down but he doesn't owe us anything.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eccleston was unhappy with his experience on nuWho, so it's not surprising that he'd pass.

This will make Rose's interaction with Ten in the 50th a little less complicated, anyway. :lol:

17. Photoman15

I never said he "owed" anyone anything. I just think these actors who become big because of a show, then want nothing to do with it, knowing their fans would want something like this are selfish. I feel the same way about Susan Dey from he Partridge Family and her refusing to even talk about it. CE might have been known in the UK without DW, but no one in the US or anywhere else would know who he was.

18. DalekJim

Eccleston was a celebrity and successful film/TV actor well before Doctor Who. See Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Second Coming. Probably the most famous a Doctor Who actor has been before taking the role.

I've always respected Eccleston for not playing the fame game. He isn't a media whore like John Barrowman and does have principles.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wrong.

20. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really see the difference between saying someone is selfish for not doing something to please their fans, and saying that they "owe" their fans something.

Either way it is an absurd entitlement syndrome. Eccleston's fans have done nothing for him besides consume the entertainment he has worked very hard to produce. The fans who expect him to base his career choices on what they want are the selfish people in this equation.