So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, Sho is not my secret crime-fighting identity. But you should still read Twilight of the Elites. :bolian:

2. Romulus Prime

Romulus Prime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading A Stitch In Time by Andrew J. Robinson. I'm a little over halfway through it, and I know it's now my favorite Trek story. Glad I ended up waiting to read it, as it's also (inadvertently) become my own self-help book as well. 12yrs ago when I first bought it, I wouldn't have been able to grasp the deeper meaning of everything Garak experiences, which (coincidentally) are mirroring my own right now...

:vulcan:

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just been introduced to H.P. Lovecraft. Finished all short works; just Mountains to go. And Wyndham: finished The Chrysalids, now on the rather strange Plan For Chaos.

4. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I have that, but I've put off reading it because I've never read the two Star Trek/X-Men comic books. Does the novel acknowledge them, or is it a totally separate take?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Planet X is loosely a direct sequel to the TNG/X-Men crossover Second Contact, in that it features the same team of X-Men having a second encounter with the E-E crew, although for the X-Men it's immediately after the end of the comic while for the TNG cast it's a year or two later. Still, the specifics of the comic's story don't come into play; all you need to know is that these particular X-Men have met Picard and crew once before. Which is no worse than, say, "Coming of Age" establishing that Picard and Admiral Quinn knew each other before. You don't need to have seen their earlier meeting to follow this new story.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been dying to read that ever since I saw this on the Archaia website.

Ooo, I've been wanting to read this one to. I've been getting into Urban Fantasy lately, and I've been very curious to read some that takes place in AZ.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Oh, Indeed I did, Christopher! Though of course there have been some stories that do indeed hint at Storm and Prof. X having some feelings for each other. But yes, I really enjoyed the little scene of Picard and Storm together. There's even a fun little mention of "Lessons" which has always been a favorite episode of mine.

Everything that Christopher says is true Fer. The TOS/X-Men crossover comic is indirectly mentioned in the TNG/X-Men comic but I haven't seen a reference to it in the novel, yet. There's a bit of backmatter in the TNG/X-Men comic that says the novel was written with a prologue comic series in mind, but that the comic only came to fruition just 2 months before it came out! Which was just a month ahead of the book. So it seems Marvel/Paramount knew they wanted to do one, but wanted the book done before writing it, and Michael Jan Friedman put some vague references to the comic in it, but nothing concrete. (In the comic they're given wrist devices that are called one thing in the comic and another thing in the novel!) So, as Chris says, I think you can just read Planet X with little to no problems. I will say that getting Second Contact was quite expensive for a 14 year old tie-in comic.

Whoa! That video really captures the feel of the book. I wish I had seen that before reading the bonus interviews in the back of Siegfried as they talk about the "pilot episode" quite a bit and I believe this it. But yeah, do give the book a read. I really loved it, and can't wait for more. I can only hope Alice gets the film going as that is beautiful.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Starfleet Academy: The Assassination Game and started Stargate SG-1: Four Dragons.

9. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Thanks, BritishSeaPower and Christopher. I won't bother waiting to read the comics, then!

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've been feeling kind of nostalgic lately, so I've started reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It's the first time I've picked it up in years. I admit it's not the greatest book ever, but it was kind of my introduction to fantasy literature, so I have a lot of fond memories of it. It's fun to go back and revisit them. :techman:

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Been dipping into Lost Voices Of The Royal Air Force, edited by Max Arthur, but it is a dip-into kind of book, and I haven't decided what the next proper front-to-back read will be...

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Walls of the Universe by Paul Melko. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I've really become quite a fan of alternate universes or worlds and time travel and reliving your life over and over.

I'm almost done with Indistinguishable From Magic by that guy up there ^. First Trek book I've read in a while. The next thing on the list is the new Stephen King & Stewart O'Nan novella A Face in the Crowd.

13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I'm on to Storming Heaven. Its great so far!

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got two books going (as usual). Carrying the Fire By Michael Collins (Apollo 11 astronaut for those who don't know), and Greg Cox's excellent (so far) novelization of The Dark Knight Rises.

15. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Diving into Shadows On The Sun by Michael Jan Friedman now.

16. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Finally found time to read Forgotten History by Christopher Bennett, which was much fun. Am now rereading The World of Star Trek by David Gerrold, which I don't think I've read in decades, although I devoured it when I was a teen.

(I stumbled onto a used copy at Shore Leave a few weeks ago and couldn't resist reading it again.)

18. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

I just finished "Spock's World" by Diane Duane, and I'm starting the Rihannsu series also by Diane Duane. It has been a few years since I've read them, but they've always been my favorite Star Trek books.

19. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

This past week, I read
    Tears of The Singers by Melinda Snodgrass
    Possession by JM Dillard & Kathleen O'Malley
    Fire Ship by Diane Carey
    Killing Time by Della Van Hise
    Her Klingon Soul by Michael Jan Friedman
    The Left Hand of Destiny(1) by JG Hertzler & Jeffery Lang
    "Surprise" by Nichelle Nichols, Sondra Marshak, & Myrna Culbreath

20. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just finished Into the Nebula by the late Gene DeWeese.