"James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Jan 11, 2011.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Rachel Weisz is actually co-starring in The Bourne Legacy, which might make her unavailable for the next James Bond film. Of course, Albert Finney is also starring in Legacy as well as the next Bond flick, so I guess anything is possible.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I hope this ushers in a new era where more A list actors do Bond movies.

Sort of like comic book movies now.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed, why not?

I remember being pleasantly surprised when the cast for Goldeneye was announced. People like Judi Dench, Robbie Coltrane and Sean Bean were much better known than the (often) little-known actors who populated the Connery, Moore and Dalton movies. Sure, there were exceptions (Chrisses Walken or Lee, Anthony Zerbe, Louis Jourdan etc) but by and large, the actor playing Bond was the best known actor, indeed the only well-known actor, in the movie.

Since then, the casts have continued to be prestigious, though the casts for CR and QoS were arguably less starry than the Brosnan era, but this has to be the best one yet.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Diana Rigg, Telly Savalas, Donald Pleasance, Christopher Lee, Yaphett Koto...

5. Captaindemotion

^ But spread over quite a few movies. You rarely got more than two big names in one movie. And OHMSS had Rigg and a pre-Kojak Savalas but an unknown in the lead.

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I'd heard something about her being in Bond 23. That YouTube channel known for the big movie updates....

7. Captaindemotion

^ No, but Bond himself is probably in her quite a bit these days...

8. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I realize it's something of a recurring gag to dump on Angelina Jolie, for some strange reason...but what's wrong with her being in a Bond film?

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

ZING! :guffaw:

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Much as with Halle Berry I just think she's too big/would demand too much for the role. I know they wanted her for CR and I'm glad they didn't get her. Eva Green wasn't perfect as Vesper but she was much better than I suspect Jolie could have been (I wish Rose Byrne had got it personally), plus she could have potentially overhsadowed Craig who was a bit of an unknown quantity back then. I understand why they were doing it, for similar reasons they cast Rigg in 69, but I just think it would have become all about Jolie.

She probably would work much better now that Craig is an established Hollywood star but I'd still rather an unknown or someone a bit less A-list like Weisz.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, in Berry's defense, she really wasn't an A-lister when she was cast as in DAD. She was "known", but maybe on the same level as Teri Hatcher or Michelle Yeoh when they were cast in TND. It was during the production of DAD when Berry hit super-stardom with Monster's Ball and her subsequent Oscar win.

12. Samurai8472

Berry was on the cusp of being an A list star.

Prior to Die Another day there was "Swordfish" then X-men 1 and 2.

I'd say people knew by then.

Angelina Jolie would just overshadow everything if she were in a Bond movie.

Even more so than Berry IMO.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

X2 came out after DAD.

Again, I'm not saying people didn't know her. I am saying that she was on-par with the other Bond girls of the era in being known, but not being house hold names quite yet. During the production of DAD, she became that household name (which, I'm sure the producers loved, considering they probably got her into a "pre-A-list" contract, but were also then able to market the hell out of her since the movie came out "post-A-list"). I would argue that Hatcher and Yeoh were on the cusp of being A-Listers as well. However, it didn't quite work out for them.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd say even before the Oscar Berry was a bigger name than either Hatcher or Yeoh. Hatcher was a TV actress, yeah it was a popular show but being a big name on TV doesn't make you a big name in films. As for Yeoh TND was before Crouching Tiger and whilst I'd seen her (I think) before Bond I suspect she was something of a mystery to most people in the West.

Compare that to Berry who'd been in Swordfish and X-Men prior to Bond, and in fact had been around for years (I always forget she was in the Flitstones). She had added notariety from the whole Swordfish/topless angle, and, though I'm not sure, had she already been FHM's sexiest woman by now?

I wouldn't disagree that she became truly A list until the Oscar, but I still think she was a much bigger name than either Yeoh or Hatcher, or any Bond girl before or since, though it pains me to say it.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well it is definitley Skyfall, and the girl is Bérénice Marlohe...film to be set in Shanghai, Istanbul and, er, Scotland!

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

She's overhyped and over exposed. I wouldn't want to see her in a Bond movie. I was also irritated at the suggestion that she play Catwoman.

17. Samurai8472

18. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Sounds just a bit like The World Is Not Enough-hopefully turns out better than that did.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I got a vague whiff of TWINE as well. Hopfully it is just a vague similarity.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I just hope it somehow ties into the Quantum story line.