So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I started Over A Torrent Sea this afternoon and read three chapters before I put it down. So far, so good.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started to read Mars by Ben Bova.The story of colonization on mars is quite an interesting read so far.The scientific stuff about mars has been some of the most intriguing part of the story.

3. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Starfleet Academy: The Gemini Agent yesterday. I thought it was odd that Spock was smiling so much, but otherwise it was pretty enjoyable.

I'm now reading Heat Rises by "Richard Castle".

4. Travis Chesser

Travis Chesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Excellent book. I think Christopher's style of writing and focus on science/exploration fits Titan very well. His two Titan books are my two favorite in the series.

I just finished Watching the Clock and Plagues of Night. I am now continuing my Wheel of Time reread in anticipation of January's culminating novel. I just picked up Great Hunt, and its been a long time since I read it!

5. The Caretaker

As someone with a PhD in aquatic invertebrate zoology, this novel is uncannily in my subject area, and I have to say the scientific terminology has been very plausible and well used so far!

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I'm gratified to hear it.

7. The Caretaker

I'll let you know if I disagree with anything! ;)

8. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Titan is one of my favorite series right now, and Torrent was stupendous.

9. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finished "Enterprise: The Good That Men Do" recently and just posted my review here if anyone is interested.

I am probably going to pick up "Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru" tonight and get on with that.

10. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Well, it took me way too long, but I finally finished Republic Commando: True Colors yesterday. Really enjoyed it, probably even more than the previous Republic Commando books.

Just started A Princess of Mars. On deck is Forgotten History.

11. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Ghost Ship by Diane Carey

12. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Survivors Guilt by Timothy Zahn and am rereading 1632 by Eric Flint:)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished reading the second edition of the TNG Companion (TNG S1-Generations) earlier today. It was pretty good, it had lots of background stuff and trivia I'd never come across before.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Demons of Air and Darkness by Keith R. A. DeCandido.

15. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished Jeff Shaara's latest, A Blaze of Glory, which is a novel of the Battle of Shiloh. It's the first in a new American Civil War trilogy about the war in the west, covering Shiloh, Vicksburg, and (I think) Atlanta. I was dubious, but I made it through the 400+ page novel in two days. I enjoyed it more than I have his WW2 stuff, especially that last on the battle for Iwo Jima. Part of the appeal is that he returned to his old style of using a panel of viewpoint characters. His last WW2 novel was pretty much a one-character story.

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Plagues of Night. I've since posted my review if you'd like to know what I thought!

17. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read Star Trek: The Last Stand, Star Trek: Rogue Saucer, Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night, and the Crystal Spheres (a short story). I'm also half-way through Redshirts: a Novel with Three Codas.

18. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

As of late, I read two Star Trek: Typhon Pact novels and am now taking a break by reading something of an epic fantasy.

Typhon Pact novels:
    Zero Sum Game: fantastic novel. I had a hard time putting this one down, really great pace and story.
    Seize the Fire: an interesting story, but it does feel slow in terms of pacing. There were some minor plot developments that I found really interesting, but overall I feel like more could have been done, and there was one plot element near the end I really wish had been fleshed out. *sigh*

Now I'm reading A Game of Thrones by GRRM. So far I'm about 30 pages in and the descriptions are fantastic. I'm also really happy to see that the television series is staying true to the books (so far ;)).

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There really weren't any huge changes from the book in the first season of Game of Thrones. I can't comment on the second season though, since I have to wait for the the DVDs.

20. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Season 2 diverged from the book quite a bit, and - I think that's the consensus now - not always successfully or explicably. It still hits most of the right notes, but there's a few real missteps there too.