Flower

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rii, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Seems odd that a $10 PSN release would be one of my most anticipated games of the year, but it's finally here and in the time I've spent with it so far it's managed to exceed my expectations.

There's an innocent, almost child-like joy in bringing colour to the landscape in the second "flower". There's no UI, the controls are simple and intuitive to the point of being almost entirely transparent, although I'd honestly prefer the Wiimote to the SIXAXIS, and the presentation is sublime.

In games like Wind Waker, Pilotwings, and Rogue Squadron (Tattooine at night in a T-16 Sky Hopper :techman:) I often liked to engage in peaceful "free roaming", Flower takes that to another level entirely. Could be that the experience will pall later in the game, although I've read that it's only a few hours from start to finish so it shouldn't outstay its welcome.

I believe Flower is the second of three titles (the first being fl0w) that thatgamecompany is contracted to develop for Sony, can't wait to see the third.

Has anyone else picked this up? For those interested, some trailers for the game are available here.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I got this as soon as it was released and finished it the same day. It's definitely a great little game. I too like to just free-roam in some games (like flying in some Grand Theft Auto games) so this was a fun experience.

3. Ganja Tea

Ganja Tea Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah it's a great game. I downloaded it for my daughter but I think I've spent more time playing it. It's a very serene game and it does remind me of pilotwings. That was a wicked game that definitely needs a sequel on the Wii.

4. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I've completed a further two flowers since my previous post, it's still as gorgeous and enchanting as ever. I notice that almost everything I've seen in trailers and such comes from the first three flowers, nice for them to leave some surprises. I see industry in the distance...

I find that racing games can offer a similar experience, but there's usually too many obstacles, harsh sounds, hard angles, etc. to get into it in quite the same way.

I don't know why it hasn't happened yet. It's an established property, one that's perfectly suited to the Wii's unique capabilities, and it can fit neatly between the casual and core markets much as Mario Kart does. Seems an obvious move to me.

5. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

The open-world in Burnout Paradise is absolutely amazing. I cannot recommend that game enough, it just totally kicks ass (and you can get it for a really nice price too).

6. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, I got it -- played through the first two levels so far

it's suuuuuuper relaxing :cool:

7. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Wasn't a fan of much of the final flower, deviated from the peaceful ambience of the initial flowers a little too far for my tastes, but overall it was still an enthralling experience and the interactive credits at the end made up for it. It doesn't hurt that on a technical level the game is an audio-visual tour de force either. :lol:

So, at this point, Flower is my 2009 GOTY. Doubt it'll stay there with Heavy Rain and Starcraft II on the way, but we'll see.

Test Drive Unlimited is one "open world" racer I've always wanted to try, never quite gotten around to it.