Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Well, I got mine from Amazon UK. It installed about 50% from the DVD. It then wanted to launch Steam (which I already had) and then took about 30 mins downloading the other 50% (I have 1Mb/sec d/l speeds).

My game plays via steam and I am having no problems whatsoever.

Am really liking it - was really lookign forward to a decent openign video/introduction with "space, the final frontier", etc and am a bit disappointed. Still, am liking the music and being able to alk around the bridge so far. :)

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^I think the PC issue was with coop at launch, i think its working now though, i still want the game dispite all its flaws, but will wait till its drops in price a bit, and get it on the xbox for split screen action. :)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Anyone mess around with the 3-D that's suppose to be on the game?

4. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm playing it on XBOX 360, and I am underwhelmed. Yes, it's a movie tie-in, I know, and I wasn't expecting the game of the year or anything, but with the work that we were told went into this, I at least hoped the writing and storyline would be better than it is. The one high point for me is the score - really like the updated "epic movie" music, but still hear references to some Original Series moments. I think the graphics look like they belong in a game from a few years ago. Someone else somewhere called the controls "janky", and I don't disagree. Lots of buggys all the way around.

Trying to suck it up and finish it, but I am not sure I have it in me. I'm a Trekker, true blue, and a big fan of the '09 movie and the new universe...this one's just not doing the trick. They can't all be winners, I get that, but this one may be getting a trip to Gamestop/eBay/Craigslist more sooner than later.

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

It's a PR and advertising disaster. They had a chance and they had a decent game but they messed up at the last minute.

It's a shame really.

6. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

The IGN review is pretty brutal:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/27/star-trek-the-game-review

I had been *so* hoping this game would be decent. Such a disappointment. Still, makes me glad I didn't pre-order!

7. Kruezerman

Oh well, hopefully there'll be a next time. :(

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I may be confused. For single player mode do you need to be online?

9. Kruezerman

Nope.

Hmm, thinking about it, perhaps I am being too easy on this game, but then again, when was the last Trek game we had? Legacy?

Trekkies should be excited for it, but the rest of the populace, not so much. Maybe Paramount can get their act together, have Bioware make one, but they already have Mass Effect so once again, Star Trek is stalled in the video game world.

10. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

No, you don't need to be online.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

My sixteen-year old son and me are having a blast playing co-op. Been playing for about two-and-a-half hours straight and he isn't even a Star Trek fan.

It's flawed but fun.

12. Kruezerman

Maybe we're crazy. :beer:

13. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Steam activation means you have to be online when you install it, after that you don't have to worry.

I really hoped this was going to be decent, at least as okay 3rd person shooter with Trek wallpaper. Digital Extremes were making all the right noises, and they even got a full development cycle instead of the usual rushed one for a movie tie-in. I wonder how it all went wrong.

14. ManaByte

ManaByte Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The producer who got caught posting on the Steam forums deleted his LinkedIn profile, but Google still has it cached...

This was the first game he's ever worked on.

15. Kruezerman

Paramount's going to be pissed.

16. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

Beat the game as Kirk, then promptly went back to playing Terraria with friends. Might play through again as Spock, but then again I may not. I really liked the Enterprise levels, liked looking out the windows and seeing the nacelles, or looking out of windows and seeing parts of the saucer section etc. would have been nice if once you beat the game they let you free roam the Enterprise, even if it was just select areas like the shuttle bay, sick bay, crew quarters, engineering, transporter room etc.

Might go back and try to get all the communication logs and such, but they don't seem to be as much fun to get as say..the Riddler trophies were. Weapons were okay, I primarily stuck with the Federation weapons. Buddy I was playing co-op with kept calling the Tricorder mode detective mode, and kept calling the Gorn the Covenant :lol:. Although I actually liked the re-imagined Gorn.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that I've gotten to that part of the game, Engineering looks pretty - certainly more "starshippy" than what we saw in the movie, as you said. But we also saw little enough in the movie where it could still work in a Treknical sense. But the Engineering seen in in the game just doesn't seem functional to me.

* Overhead hatches to space were open (not just during the ejection sequence).

* The Enterprise has gone from 8 (?) warp cores to 3. That probably couldn't eject at all because they'd hit the center brace, IIRC. (I wanted to poke around more, after clearing out the enemies, but the game insisted on funneling me to the next level. :()

* The warp cores apparently routinely detach themselves from what appears to be the main plasma conduit, outside of ejecting.

* After a certain point the plasma conduit just stops; the plasma shoots out in an open vacuum past that point, for some reason. (It looks a lot like the interior of a TNG warp nacelle to me.)

Whining? Maybe. But it still bugged me. :p

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I though it was a funny game, but then again I do like me some Kirk and Spock adventure stories.

Did anyone else notice that the majority of the Starfleet officers infected by the Gorn venom were redshirts.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too I especially like the phaser rifle III since its a one shot sniper rifle. Remind me how much fun the widow was in Mass Effect 2.

To be fair there is a little similarity between the Blue Gorn that seem to be commanding the Gorn grunts and the Elites from Halo

Also does anyone know how you access the per-order items in game?

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Options (though it has to be from the main menu, not in-game).