Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

XBOX 360, split screen co-op.

2. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

OK, am now VERY jealous of all you Americans getting your hands on it 1st! So glad comments on here are so positive! :)

Any Amazon Uk orderers - please let me know when yours arrives! :)

3. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Playing now and am fairly impressed so far. They did will with the gameplay engine and the Trek details.

I would suggest adjusting the brightness down a but under suggested levels.

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My wife just exchanged the game with another copy, and she let me know the game still won't run on my PS3. I've done a complete system restart, and still no go. And all the gamestop guy would tell her was, some games wont run on some systems. What a bullshit answer. So I guess i'll just have to try getting it through steam, on my laptop.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

awaiting getting to a suitable Wifi hotspot to download the game.

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Omg, i would have been pissed if that happened last night. Been waiting so long for a Trek game like this. What incarnation of the PS3 do you have?

7. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

8. indianatrekker26

Our PS3 is only 2 years old. But it sounds like she finally got it running. It only took 30 tries, and 3 reboots to the system.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

10. indianatrekker26

so now, ive gotten a replacement copy, and its even worse to my PS3. it locks up everywhere. I've run a full system restart, everything i can think of. i give up. Back to the store it goes. Hope you all enjoy the game.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Have a look at metacritic, some of the same reviewers have given the game 10 on all three version, nice of some people to buy the game three times and play it. lol

No i am glad i waited till it was out, its not another A:CM but from the reviews not worth full launch price, will pick it up when its on sale. :)

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Red Boxed it and played splitscreen with a friend for a while. The controls are kind of janky at times, and the cover system could really do with being a lot smoother and a lot more intuitive. As pointed out a million times before, the graphics are nothing to write home about. It looks more like a 2006 title than a 2013 one. The gaming press is not likely to go easy on this title, especially now that they've been exposed to vastly superior character models, mo cap, environments, and lighting in game titles for the past several years. This game looks like a marketplace title.

Still, the game is functional, and serviceable in most respects. Especially when it comes to co-op. I haven't encountered anything game-breaking so far, aside from terrible partner AI. Thank god for the coop, which fixes that little problem. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of content in the game, what with the space jumps, the minigames, tricorder use, etc.

The story is just sort of... there, I guess. It's not particularly interesting, and the bad guys don't have a super interesting presence in the plot. The story gets you from A to B, which works well enough, I guess.

The voice acting is all in all pretty good. The use of the cast from the film really amps up the authenticity factor. Some are better, some are kind of eh. Giacchino's score is pretty darn good - it feels a lot like the ST09 score, which it obviously should, but has some unique elements of its own. I'm particularly liking a lot of the Frontier Starbase stuff and the Gorn action cues. The sound is overall probably the biggest strength of this game.

Overall, it's head and shoulders above most movie license games, but it's not quite the push into the AAA gaming space Paramount was aiming for. I still hope the game pushes a halfway decent number of copies to warrant an improved installation in the Trek gaming franchise. You know, something that can become legendary to both Trekkies and hardcore gamers, like Star Trek's answer to Butcher Bay or KOTOR. Brian Miller and his people walk the walk and talk the talk - I want to believe, but this is a pretty rough start.

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. (That first cue introducing the Gorn fight was very... TOS-y.) I'm hoping they end up doing some sort of soundtrack release, even if it's download-only.

Was KOTOR really legendary to non-Star Wars fans, or are there just simply no such critters out in the real world? ;)

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Angry Joe review, its a fun review simply for the metacritic and steam forums stuff. lol
    (Oh i might add it has very some bad language. so 18 plus only)
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7r9m9vYNA&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=1[/yt]

15. indianatrekker26

I decided to just return the game since it wouldn't run on my PS3. I then got it via steam, onto my laptop. Running great. Could anyone give me a quick control layout, if you have it for PS3? I have a PS3-styled controller and was hoping to set it to those specifications.

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you have Pinnacle profiler? I've got a profile that needs a few tweaks because of my controller (that has chatpad plus mouse buttons), but you should be able to use it.

17. indianatrekker26

nope, I have the logitec controller, that has same layout as the PS3 controller.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Not really a review, just him bitching for fifteen minutes about the co-op not working on the PC.

19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I'd try to play the game first and see if the game detects it as an Xbox controller. In that case, you won't need something like Pinnacle; if not, Pinnacle might be the only way to get it to work in the game.

20. indianatrekker26

yup, tried it this morning, and the game detected my Logitech controller. Now i'm just trying to figure out how the buttons were set up for PS3.