So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Intellivore by Diane Duane.

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished A Hymn Before Battle and Gust Front by John Ringo.

3. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am now over 2/3 of the way through "The Buried Age" by CLB (2007) and it seems to be getting better and better. I finished "Green Political Theory" by Goodin (1992) and changed "Green theory" in Wikipedia a little too.

Finished off rereading "A Preface to Economic Democracy" by Robert A. Dahl (1985) and still see it as a weak argument which is easily knocked down and therefore serves as counter-propaganda against workplace democracy or anti-property egalitarian sentiments. Give the doctrine in a weaker form and then knock it down and you shall immunize people against the stronger arguments. But charity demands I treat the short book as a genuine argument. And, maybe weak is best the argument gets anyway.

I saw the other Chris Pine movie and was interested in the concept of swearing an oath to defend a constitution. If the liberty to own property takes precedence over the possibility of democratic equality there might be a problem. Would it ever be right to influence political science so that no counter-arguments to the American constitution be strong enough to subvert it? Would this mean even countering the evidence that there be counter-arguments. Good conspiracy theory bad Intelligence. (Note I capitalize Intelligence to indicate the organization or institution rather than the product from such an institution.)

I wonder specifically how the Greens come out on "economic democracy" and how much of the "direct democracy" they may have retreated from.

The illustration(s) of military decision-making and civilian decision-making in "The Buried Age" also make it entertaining. The cosmology and its setting are good too. There are many good points to the book. Hope to finish it in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Thanks for clarifying that for me KRAD. I did not intend to give the impression Asimov wrote it himself. Interesting to see one of our authors had a connection to the series as an editor. I was not aware this book was part of a trilogy. Thanks for all the great info:bolian:

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

No problem. It was amusing to dredge up that project from the back recesses of my brain, since I worked on those books 20 years go. :rommie:

(Of course, I had help from Wikipedia............)

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nearly through A Feast for Crows.

I plan on doing A Dance With Dragons, Christophers new Enterpise novel, then The Fall series.

7. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Just finished A Rock and a Hard Place. Pretty good, though I think the Enterprise running off to "Riker went out in storm" a bit too easily. Proto-Calhoun is right. Stone felt like I was reading a slightly more dickish version of Captain Mackenzie. I can understand why PAD created a new version for NF, simply because Stone had just a tad too much baggage to carry it on.

8. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I've just finished Brinkmanship, finally wrapping up the Typhon pact series. Not sure what to read until the new voyager book comes out.

9. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I just started Babylon 5 book "The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name". (that's one long title :D)

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

For one terrible book. Continue reading at your own risk.

11. Gul Re'jal

Thanks for the warning :mallory:

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I took a break from the novels yesterday and read the third digital collection in the Fables comic book series, Storybook Love.
    I gave it a 5/5 rating.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading A Time to heal book 7 by David Mack I can't put this book downIt has an excellent and the Enterprise and Starfleet crews at Tewza are really in a dangerous situation .President Min Zife is a really manipulative villain in this book.

14. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

A few days ago I finished Star Trek: The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow.

I'm now reading The Kane Chronicles, Book One: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Finished The Fall: Peaceable Kingdoms last night (only a month behind! :p). Now that I've caught up on The Fall, I'm diving back into Vanguard. Started Precipice earlier today.

16. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished up Saturn's Children by Charles Stross. I pretty much like all Stross and this was no exception.

I'm going to be seeing around 25 movies in 10 days for Noir City which means waiting between movies and so I'll be reading some Richard Starks to keep the mood going. I just finished up The Black Ice Score and I'm starting The Sour Lemon Score.

Once the festival is over I'll be starting Neptune's Brood by Stross in preparation for my Hugo nominations. Considering how much I like Stross I'm guessing this will be one of my nominations but I need to read it first...

17. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Voyager- Protectors.

18. Gul Re'jal

After finishing "The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name", which wasn't a such terrible nightmare (pun intended ;)) I expected after Christopher's warning, I started re-reading "A Time To Be Born". Poor memory has its positive side - one forgets books and can read them again, enjoying just as it's the first time :D

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Memory Prime by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. I'm really enjoying this book. Nice to see another Mira Romaine story.

20. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm reading Fusion, the second book in the Voyager String Theory trilogy. It's OK, but I'm not in love with it. Well-written, but I think I'd rather be reading one of the books set after the series than one set in the middle of it.