Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old March 13 2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Re: will there be a new star trek game for 50th anniversary?

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
daedalus5 wrote: View Post
They need to do something low cost and multi platform. Something like 25th anniversary....
How about a 25th Anniversary Edition of the 25th Anniversary game? Same game, but with the graphics updated as much as possible while leaving them the same on all platforms, and an option to play through the adventure in Prime Trek or Nu Trek modes.
Yes, same style as 25th anniversary/judgement rites/final unity, but with a new storyline.

Perhaps something epic, spanning Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY.

Or perhaps a remake of BOTF, but done right.
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 06:05 PM   #17
Yosef Lindell
Lieutenant

If someone wants to remake my 25th anniversary/judgment rites style game, Star Trek: the Continuing Voyage in time for the 50th anniversary, I certainly wouldn't complain
Yosef Lindell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 06:25 PM   #18
billcosby
Commodore

I've lost track of when the last successful Star Trek game was made... the late 1990s? Whenever Bridge Commander came out.

So I vote for no. Let's not do this again. Obviously a great Star Trek game cannot be done anymore with the limitations of the new gaming model: force users to play online, suck the money out of them on a pay-to-play basis. This is for PC and mobiles. As for consoles, I certainly enjoyed Legacy but most everyone hated it and with a few minor tweaks it could have been an excellent game... but something's wrong. The really creative, open world concept is not working for console ports. Instead they're cranking out (phoning in) titles like last year's movie pre Into-Darkness game... if that's the caliber of the offering then I prefer the relative silence like the last decade or so. It's dead, Jim.

Most games now are way too dependent on the story to offer any real value of open world exploration. And for a title like Star Trek, that's ridiculous. Exploration is at the core of the franchise. If Mass Effect can get it done, why not Star Trek? Laziness. Complacency. Shareholders. Gone are the days when a single player driven story could hold countless possibilities. Now, the single player mode trains the player for multiplayer mode - which often disappoints.

Someday we'll have a great Trek game but it'll be in the hands of indie developers and collaborators at no profit. For instance:EGA Trek. I dumped hours (days?) into playing this back in the days when you were pimpin' with a 386. Anyone else enjoy this gem? A radical combat/exploration masterpiece using ascii characters only and completely free from Paramount's licensing grip. I'd gladly do away with the theme song and trademarked characters if the game actually allowed me to feel like I was exploring the galaxy, beaming down to planets and performing missions, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28text_game%29

Last edited by billcosby; March 13 2014 at 06:49 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 03:20 PM   #19
HIjol
Captain

Though this thread is a little dated, and I KNOW this is probably NOT the kind of game you mean, but how I would LOVE to see a "Star Trek Jeopardy-like" game...couldn't you just see Quark, or maybe Shatner(!) emceeing the thing???

"...Starships for 200, Bill..."

"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:00 PM   #20
billcosby
Commodore

HIjol wrote: View Post
Though this thread is a little dated, and I KNOW this is probably NOT the kind of game you mean, but how I would LOVE to see a "Star Trek Jeopardy-like" game...couldn't you just see Quark, or maybe Shatner(!) emceeing the thing???

"...Starships for 200, Bill..."

No - that's actually a perfect idea because they wouldn't be able to fuck it up. For a game, I mean. A Jeopardy-like quiz game that could be played in a browser or something. That's essentially the best they could do.

Nice idea.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 05:07 PM   #21
HIjol
Captain

I thank you, Commodore...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 05:10 AM   #22
OpenMaw
Commander

Personally, if I had the rights i'd do Star Trek ala Mass Effect. A solid story which allowed you to choose what kind of a Captain you were, go to various infamous Trek locales, explore mysteries, get into battles with bad guys, gather resources, exercise diplomacy, and form relationships with your crew.