2009 or Into Darkness??

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nine of Four, Aug 27, 2013.

?

2009 of Into Darkness

Poll closed Sep 10, 2013.
  1. 2009

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Into Darkness

30 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voted STID - but by a hairs breathe (both movies are exceptional and fantastic, IMO).

One gave us the USS Kelvin, the other the USS Vengeance - so I'm fairly happy for both - but since there's no equal placing, STID gets my vote.

:)

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm with you. ST 2009 was a totally immersive theatrical experience, comparable only to ST:TMP, "Superman: The Movie" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring". STiD was close, though.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

09 has original, pretty plot and look. ID is very unoriginal and uglier. Both are emotionally very shallow, while the added philosophical aspect in the newer movie is a crudely integrated, massive cliche at the moment.

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan::klingon:

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think 2009 is the better film. STID repeated way too much from it, and took several step backwards in the character evolutions.

STID had the better villain though.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

STXI by a mile.

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Trek09 simply because STID can be completely tossed out without any consequences to whatever third movie may come our way.

8. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Trek 2009 is a much better film. the story flowed better and the pace of the film, which includes the action scenes and character interactions did not overshadow the story unlike STiD.

Also the 2009 film manage to find the right balance between paying homages and ripping offs. Sadly STiD did not find the right balance.

One thing STiD had over Trek 09 was the villain. Khan > Nero.

However Into darkness is still a very good film. Trek 09 is an excellent film.

Ranking the best trek films , Trek 09 should be in the top 3 with STiD rounding up the top 5 or getting 6th place.

JJ has done good work with Trek and a lot of us Trek fans should be grateful.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I think I'm more grateful towards CBS at keeping Trek relevant with their work on the TV series with loads of fantastic stories than JJ and crew making only one rehashed story every four years.

Trek09 showed that they might have had an interest in taking Star Trek somewhere interesting, until STID showed that they actually had no interest at all. Seek out new life? A mere pre-title teaser before everything heads back to Earth for the majority of the film. If you can't make a Star Trek film without having Earth be the place where most of your story is focused on, you're not doing Star Trek any favors.

10. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

2009 but I really enjoyed into darkness too.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched the 2009 film at the cinema only once with no interest to see it again.

I'm watching 'Into Darkness' again at the cinema this Sunday.

12. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

Into Darkness. It had way more depth, levels of characterization, interesting sub-stories, and the action was far more profound. Didn't like the way the Klingons looked, though...