the "Lost" trek books- self-published?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by pharBeyond, Sep 8, 2010.

1. pharBeyond

pharBeyond Ensign Red Shirt

I have recently started reading some of the trek I've missed in the last few years. I've also managed to find these great forums!

Anyway, while reading the FAQ, I found a link to some star trek books that were either cancelled, or postponed indefintely.

So I'm wondering- can the authors self publish these books, say on Amazon? Are there rights issues? I think it's an interesting concept, as publishers are getting concerned about their role in this brave new world of ebooks. I, after all, am reading these books on my Kindle!:)

Just wondering, it would be cool to read these books.

2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Would that be the Star Trek: The Lost Books page, by any chance? Clearly the work of an obsessed fanboy with too much time on his hands.

A lot of the nonfiction books could probably be safely self-published, but the fiction is a different matter. That has to be licenced and approved, and there's only one company with the rights to do that.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

:lol:

I was just about ready to jump in and defend with "that site is awesome! I look at it all the time!" and then... oh wait.

4. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

One of these days I'll have to tell you about the Beyond Strange New Worlds anthology project that never got off the ground...

5. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that both Brad Ferguson and Margaret Wander Bonanno have made the original versions of their novels A Flag Full of Stars and Music of the Spheres (aka Probe) available for download. You can find links at the Lost Books page.

6. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Brad's homepage is down as of March 2010

7. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Back in 2006 I asked Brad Ferguson if I could host a copy when his site was down back then, and he gave his permission.

garamet likes this.
  8. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Cool! Thanks to you and Brad