M'ress appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Moodib, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked M'Ress a lot (and I loved the fact that she and Arex both continued on in comic books during the 80s, well into the movie era). I could have done without that scene in Mudd's Passion where she starts getting her groove on with Scotty, though. :wtf:

Are those cat things seen on the Federation council in Star Trek IV supposed to be from her people?

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From on-screen evidence alone there's no way to tell, but according to accounts Therin of Andor read, supposedly that was the intent when the make-up team were building them.

Sincerely,

Bill

3. Redfern

Heh, heh, heh... Then I recommend that you do NOT read Alan Dean Foster's "Star Trek Log Ten", the final volume of the animated adaptations. While Spock, Sulu and Uhura endure the events surrounding "The Slaver Weapon", M'Ress and two other Caitians seemingly go psycho and start mauling the crew. I don't think you'd care for Scotty's solution to the crisis. :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Redfern

Just a lil' something to hopefully distract your mind from the winter chills.

Sincerely,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
  5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reading through this thread it struck me that they should've had Arex in that STV scene with the three-breasted dancer.

6. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After Spock, M'Ress is my favourite member of the TOS era crew. She had more personality than any of the other characters that weren't in the core 3.

More than fucking Sulu.

7. Redfern

You are joking, right? As much as I carry on about M'Ress, I'll be the first to admit she was nothing more than a token extra, an element taking advantage of the animated medium to present an alien more exotic than could have been achieved (effectively) in live action. She appeared in only 6 of the cartoons and in 4 of them, she just "answered the phone" so to speak.

Wait, I get it. You're teasing me for dwelling upon a literal two dimensional cutout. Yeah, I guess I kinda' set up myself for the ribbing. Well, as long as everyone is having a good time, I'll play the role of the jester.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. DalekJim

As is every TOS crew member outside the core 3 ;).

9. Redfern

So, are you requesting I stop posting renders of M'Ress?

If I did it every day, or even every week, I can see how some members might consider it spamming, but I honestly did not feel I caused that much of a disruption.

Would you consider once a month too frequent?

Sincerely,

Bill

10. DalekJim

M'Ress is one of my favourite Star Trek characters. One can never have enough ;).

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I agree. The more M'ress there is, the better.

I mean, I'm not into Furry stuff, but one should always be willing to make exceptions. ;)

12. Redfern

A very unusual find...

M'Ress as drawn and painted by none other than Wendy Pini, artist and co-creator of "ElfQuest"! The description states this was from 1975 when EQ was still a few years in Wendy's future.

I'm not sure if linking an eBay page is permitted, so for anyone curious, just go to the famed auction site and type in "M'Ress" as the search parameter.

(Keep in mind the entry will probably be accessable until early March 2013. After that, the auction will close and the entry eventually disappear.)

No, not a piece I'm trying to auction. I just stumbled across it during a Google search. Neither am I even considering buying it, even at one seventh the asking price. I saved the hi-res photo to my local drive, so I'm happy with that.

Sincerely,

Bill

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Did they try to cross out the original opening bid of $17? LOL

14. Redfern

Well, someone did. But we can't be certain the person who's trying to sell it did so in preparation for this eBay auction. It might have happened in 1975 when it was originally sold.

But it is rather amusing in light of the current asking price.

Sincerely,

Bill

15. Redfern

Last Friday's installment of "Ensign Two: the Wrath of Sue" features a cameo of M'Ress!

http://www.interrobangstudios.com/potluck/index.php?strip_id=1535

True, it's a single panel and she has no lines, but artist Kevin Bolk (aka K-Bo) includes all the earmarks of the Filmation character design, making instantly recognizable.

Why is she in security instead of communications? Eh, JJ Abrams timeline, different career choice. Besides, wouldn't you want a fleet footed being with naturally evolved razor sharp weapons on your security team?

And yes, I did post the groupie-like response about her inclusion. Might as well play up the goofy reputation I've developed here. ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

P.S. If the mods feel this thread is too old to rate this newest post, you won't hurt my feelings for locking it. As for the original poster, I don't think he's been around for over a year.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Just glad we finally see a proper Caitian in the JJverse, not whatever those Siamese felinoid things were.

17. Redfern

Well, to be fair, I wouldn't kick either out of bed for clawing the sheets, but they certainly were not Caitians. And since they were not identified as such via dialog or readable labels, I can just ignore the intent "behind the scenes".

Sincerely,

Bill

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

We already know there are more felinoid species out there, even in TOS's time, so yeah I just assume it's another race than resembles humans slightly more than the others.

Saying that though, they were cute. The glowing eyes could be a little creepy up close but still.

19. Stompy

Stompy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt