Your favorite movie/tv series soundtrack

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kilana2, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Those are both good when cleaning my office!

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

For movies, pretty much anything by John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith. Also, the score for Independence Day. Say what you will about the movie (But I liked that too), the score was unforgettable. I was a happy guy when the two disk complete score came out a few years back.

For TV, my two favorites are the 15 disk set of Star Trek TOS from 2012. I've played that so much I may need to look into getting a replacement set soon. I hope the price has gone down by now. Also for TV, Stu Phillips score for the original Battlestar Galactica. Another re-release from Intrada some years ago that I was happy to see.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is one of those questions where semantics are important. I like to think of film/TV music as "score" and "soundtrack" being two different things.

For the former, if I had to pick one it would be You Only Live Twice. It's one of my least favorite Bond films, but I think it's Barry's best work. He basically figured out what worked with the first four films and stuck with it. OHMSS is almost as good, but it meanders a bit in places.

And of course, it's impossible to not talk about Star Wars when discussing film scores. Sith is my favorite of the bunch. Williams was the only one not humping the football during the PT. I find even TPM's biggest haters have a hard time dismissing Fates. And Sith was the perfect blend of the old and the new.

For TV, Buffy wins. Nothing else comes close.

I know he's most recognized for his work on Castle, but I think Duncan's bit for the finale was better than anything Beck did. I know... I know... blasphemy.

That's not to say Beck/Whedon's stuff isn't fantastic, it's just that "The Final Fight" is an effing incredible piece of music.

5. Kilana2

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

The Theme song from Mahogany, Do You Know Where Your Going To.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3uatcJqt54&spfreload=10[/yt]

I loved this song so much when I was a kid

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Ennio Moricone: The Untouchables. Emotional as all hell.

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

One soundtrack that I enjoy every so often is the Disco version of the Star Trek Theme Song on the Star Trek III: The Search For Spock LP, but I don't listen to it all that often as my LP has an air bubble in the vinyl right at the beginning of the song, so its kind of rough on the needle.

Other soundtrack albums I like are:

Batman (1989) album by Prince
    Dick Tracy: Original Score by Danny Elfman
    Batman (1966) Theme Song by the Nielson Riddle Orchestra (I've got this one on 45)
    Madonna: I'm Breathless: Songs Inspired by the Film "Dick Tracy"
    The Woman In Red by Stevie Wonder
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine Theme Song CD Single --- features the TV mix for about the 30 seconds, but then gets mixed into a very different way from even the Season 4 remix.

9. RandyS

Two other movies I just thought of: both versions of The Time Machine. Klaus Brandelt's 2002 remake in particular. The 1960 version is, of course, the superior film, but the 2002 version has the superior soundtrack.

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Williams' scores for the original Star Wars trilogy
    Goldsmith's scores for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Patton
    Poledouris' scores for RoboCop and The Hunt for Red October
    Yoko Kanno's various soundtrack albums for Cowboy Bebop
    Isaac Hayes' soundtrack for Shaft

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Baudelt I believe. But yes, I love that score. Definitely improves the quality of the film itself.

12. RandyS

I just looked at my CD again, and we were both wrong. It's actually Badelt.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I was closer? :p

Either way, a great score. One I've purchased for friends on occasion just to give them some great music (though I have no idea whether they actually ended up listening).

14. RandyS

Ask them. I've played it for one of my friends who is a fan of the 1960 version, but has never seen the 2002. We listened to it in the car on a road trip to San Francisco last summer. He admitted to liking the music, but when I offered to loan him my DVD, he wasn't interested.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Speaking of the Time Machine, I also like Miklos Rosza's score for Time After Time.

16. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

The cue is question is actually titled Choosen, at least according to the composer himself on his website years ago when he had some BtVS cues up. And no, just in case it is brought up, it's not a case of just the peisode name, as every other cue was not named for their respective episodes.

"the Final Fight" appears to be the name somebody gave to a shortened edit of the cue used for a commercial CD.

And yes, it's over seven minutes of pure awsome. I can't imagine anybody wanting to edit such a wonderful piece of music.

17. Kilana2

Speaking of Time Machines: Alan Silvestri, Back to the Future, especially part III

18. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Twin Peaks' evocative music. It really added to the quirky show.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if they're my favorites, but there isn't much more iconic and ingrained in my psyche as the big John Williams ones from the 70s and early 80s: Jaws, SW, ce3k, Superman, Raiders, etc.

20. RandyS

I knew of the security guard, but not the other two.