Prometheus 2: Apparently it's happening

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RoJoHen, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Just because I can acknowledge the original as having a deeply flawed narrative, populated by idiots who didn't act like human beings, let alone scientists and professionals, doesn't mean I'm not hoping many of these flaws are not addressed and fixed, leading to a much improved sequel.

The more that gets made, the better the chance some of them may ACTUALLY be good!

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Not alone, though. I quite enjoyed the first one and am also looking forward to the sequel.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Ridley Scott doing sci-fi is basically like crack to me, so I'm pumped.

5. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed the first film as well- it was visually stunning in the theater in 3D. While the movie did some things I wish it hadn't (the biggest was redefining the Cool Space Jockey Alien into just a rescaled space suit for an Engineer), all in all I had a good time.

I think no matter what he did people were liable to be disappointed when trying to followup with an all time classic- Bladerunner 2 will have this problem also.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, but Blade Runner 2 has Denis Villeneuve directing it. That's probably the best possible scenario.

7. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

No, it was the really crappy script. But okay, if that's what you want to say, then on a disappointment scale, it could have been far less disappointing.

Bladerunner 2: It might. But Lindelos isn't writing it, and Scott won't be the director to rubber stamp the script, so there's a good chance it will be better than Prometheus. Actually, anything has a better chance than Prometheus. But hey, the visual were great, weren't they?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I really do think a Prometheus sequel could make the first one better in hindsight. My biggest issue, ultimately, was that the story felt far too rushed. Shit hits the fan too quickly, and then all your left with is a bunch of blood and gore. There is a great story hidden in there, but it wasn't told as well as it could have been. A sequel needs to spend more time exploring the story and less time with crazy alien C-sections (although I admit that sequence was intense as hell).

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Not at all. Despite my disappointment in the first film, I'm looking forward to a sequel and hope it can expand on the universe in a meaningful way and tell a great story.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Glad to see this is going forward. I loved the first one.

11. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Same here.

RoJoHen, my comments were aimed at what Prometheus was - not what Prometheus 2 could be.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And my comments weren't aimed at you, but were just my general thoughts. ;)

13. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Loved Prometheus! Eagerly awaiting Prometheus 2!

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Prometheus was too clinical -- it needed to be visceral. Still liked it on a documentary level, and it did have some ewww moments.

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prometheus was an awesome movie, with some flaws. But then again, all movies have flaws.

In all over the Alien movies, there is one thing that returns a lot, and Prometheus did that aswell. Humanity's hubris. The continues believe that we are capable of understanding and controlling everything. It came through very nicely in Prometheus.

As for the visceral.... Alien wasn't that visceral all the time, like some of the later movies. It was also quite tame on the gore in comparison to its sequels.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think you'll find that for it's time, the chestburster scene was about as shocking and gory (quite literally visceral) as things got outside of the really nasty exploitation movies...and presumably actual snuff films.

Sure, it wasn't wall-to-wall blood and guts, but that's the point. It's a suspense horror, not a splatterfest. If chests were exploding every five minutes then it lessens the impact.
    Those two or three scenes are all you really need. Hell, I still put Lambert's death as the most shocking and visceral for what you don't see as much as what you do because of the time it took and, noises she was making and the state her body was in when Ripley finds it. Almost nothing they could have shot can compare to what your imagination can concoct as to what the Beast was doing to her.

As for Prometheus...I find it a very frustrating movie. On the one hand there are things I really like, such as the visuals, the concepts and the cast (for the most part.) But ultimately the substance of the story and plotting appears to have been sacrificed in favour of pacing and when you get down to it, that's a recipe for a poorly told story no matter which way you slice it.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

[EDIT] double post

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me the first one looked great but the script was all over the place and instead of killing off its characters in smart ways, it made them complete idiots. Did they really need to rush off the ship like a special needs trip to the beach ten seconds after arriving? Performing intense acrobatics with popping stomach staples was also ludicrous. It would only take a few tweaks to make the movie far less bad but unfortunately many of those tweaks include changing the personalities of many of the supporting cast.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I think whatever answer the Engineers give Shaw it'll disappoint people and if there's no real answers that'l also disappoint people. I certainly don't them going the route that Jesus was an Engineer and his death is what set off the Engineers.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I have to say that concept just makes the engineers (a society that apparently endured for billions of years) seem very petty and impatient.

It seems more likely that they were going for something very specific and it didn't turn out how they wanted and so decided to wipe the spate clean and start the biosphere over from scratch. Or they got exactly what they wanted and the goo is meant as a means to break down and harvest all the raw genetic material that's evolved in their planet sized petri dish. Actually that last one has much more potential for existential horror than "we found god and he's a prick."

Either way, a bunch of pre-industrial savages freaking out an lynching a nine foot tall albino freak is a pretty poor metric by which test a species.