Which Star Trek movie has got the most plot holes? And the least?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lance, Jun 5, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Such a straightforward and believable way to get the critter out, were it properly executed. :sigh:

2. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched INS a couple of weeks ago, and that definitely has some major holes, specifically to do with the Ba'ku:

The Ba'ku settled on the planet 309 years ago. They have a death rate of zero, and seem to have no qualms about having children, but the population is only 600. If they started with only two people, and each couple had two children every 33.3 years, the population would be 1024. Maybe there is a periodic cull they neglected to inform Picard of?

Despite the Ba'ku's rejection of technology, they would have needed technology to exile the So'na. Either using a ship to take them to another planet, or using a communication device to convince a ship to venture into the Briar Batch and pick up the exiles.
    (Also, despite the rejection of technology, they identified Data as a positronic device and attempted to repair him.)

Ru'afo makes a fair point. They tried to take over the colony (no suggestion this attempt was violent), and in response were given a literal death sentence. To exile them off-world when there are no more than 600 humanoids on the entire planet seems unreasonable. Why didn't Picard point this out?

Why do the So'na need the Federation at all? The Briar Patch is a no-go zone that no reasonable person would enter. The Fed are new to the area (note Dougherty's line about not having fully identified the anomalies yet). There was nothing stopping the So'na carrying out their operation on their own - except that the plot required the Federation to be there.

And again, it's a big planet with a population of 600. What's stopping the So'na from setting up their own colony elsewhere on the planet, and enjoying that sweet sweet immortality with the Ba'ku none the wiser? Unless the space hippies have advanced satellites in orbit to warn them of such an incursion...

Finally: another inconsistency in the Ba'ku's rejection of technology - the massive hydro works that enables Data to lower the level of a large natural-looking lake by turning a metal wheel which is presumably attached to a massive concrete dam.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Also what's with the Ba'ku time stopping abilities?

BTW Anij was rather nice I wouldn't mind kirking her

4. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, all that "perfect moment" stuff was ridiculous pseudo-philosophical waffle.

5. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This one bothers me to. Obviously, it is meant to convince us that Hardy is a young Picard and Shinzon is his duplicate, despite the fact (IMHO) the two look nothing alike when standing side by side (may major problem with the clone story line, in fact).

However, in my own "personal canon," I just chalk up the bald picture to maybe being his "basic training" picture, and Tapestry was towards the end of Picard's academy days...even though starfleet never required a buzz cut.

Another plot hole is that of B-4. Why didn't we ever hear about him? Why didn't Dr. Soong mention him to Data OR Lore? I always thought it would have been better if instead of B-4, that it was Lore. Lore was disassembled, and presumably secured in an unknown (to us) location, otherwise Data would have just set the phaser to kill and disintegrate him. I am not a writer so I am not sure how Lore could have ended up in Romulan or Reman hands, but since the Romulans went to the trouble of cloning Picard to replace him, and we do have examples of the Romulans infiltrating Starfleet, it's not that much of a stretch to see them stealing Lore, and reassembling and reprogramming him.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Didn't the Romulans get Picard's DNA in that episode where he was strung up by his hands?

7. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They tried to have it both ways. "I don't look like you because of all the Romulan pain and strife I've suffered."

"No wait, I look EXACTLY like you. And here's a picture."

Ummmm....

8. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

In "Inheritance," Data's "mother" informed him that prior to Lore, there were three prototypes that were "childlike."

The question is, where are the other two? (Or, why was one of three named "B4?")

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Red Letter Media's review of Nemesis zeroed in on that ridiculous "bald Picard" photo. Check out this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Q0KzEUw2w

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard without hair is one of those things where the studio thinks the casual audience is too stupid not to realise that the guy in the photo is meant to be young Picard unless they're both bald. Because movie studio people routinely assume the audience is made up of idiots, as if the dialogue alone doesn't make it clear enough that they're the same person (in fact, there's a ''deleted scene'' version of that scene on the DVD where the close-up of the photo isn't even seen, and if anything I think it works better without the close-up). Personally if they absolutely *had* to have a close-up of the photo, I think they'd have been fine to have had hair on him. People would've figured it out.

The other thing is that the script for Nemesis and the director of Nemesis were pulling in different directions. John Logan's script is quite faithful to the spirit of TNG (Argo aside), and contains dozens of references to the past -- including name checking Lore, referencing Troi and Worf's relationship, a scene containing the emotion chip, Spot 'adopting' Worf at the end of the movie, etc -- but Stuart Baird didn't like being in charge of something that had an established 'history', and a lot of it ended up being cut from the finished movie. Which explains most of the things people kvetch about as being plot holes. :)