Season 2 Theatrical Event Date Revealed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dream, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well I'm waiting in line. Less than an hour to go!

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is the crowd like. I haven't bought my tickets yet so hopefully where I'm going they will still have some. Hopefully it's a pretty full theater.

3. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I'm in my theater, about 20 mins from the start, they're showing extras from season 1 while we wait for the big moment.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Had fun.

5. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Also had fun. Brought the old man this time, and he really enjoyed it, too, particularly the reunion segment.

Loved the extended version of "The Measure of a Man". Added so much to the episode. (A couple of things that probably should've remained cut, but still, great overall.)

It did seem like the remastering was a little less together this time. Some new CGI shots of the Big E in "Q Who?," for example, weren't quite right. The interior shots were beautiful, though, and the new material in "TMoaM" was edited in seamlessly.

Seeing new outtakes was great.

Also: I had not heard Spiner's anecdote about Data being a posterboy for children with Asperger's before. That was truly touching, and was an aspect of the Data's role in the popular media that I had never considered before. Stewart's story about the Las Vegas policeman was also deeply moving.

Really hope they do an event like this for season 3. There weren't as many people in the theater tonight as there were for season 1. On the other hand, this was a school night in November, and that was during the summer. So here's hoping.

6. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just got back from mine. :D

Earlier in this thread, my local theater wasn't participating in the event until they changed their mind a couple weeks ago. That being said, I enjoyed myself much more than I did during the first event. Although I do have to say I was disappointed with the audience in my theater. I was the only one clapping when Louvois concluded the hearing. Come on people! I probably came off as a grinning idiot, especially because I definitely heard some awkward uncomfortable laughter. Tough crowd I guess. :p

I'm looking forward to the next one! With the little preview at the end, they point out both Yesterday's Enterprise and Best of Both Worlds, so I'm going to assume those are the next ones. A nice little cliffhanger for event III and IV? ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did anyone notice a hiccup in "MoaM?" In the second to last scene, when Picard says "engage," it looked like they voiced over Patrick Steward saying it, but his mouth didn't move nor did he do his typical hand gesture. I'm assuming it was a hiccup in the signal rather than a blooper or mistake in the editing.

8. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Awesome night!
    I actually enjoyed Measure more. Most of the added scenes really did add to the ep. The scene in engineering was strange though bc Geordi acted like he didn't really care Data was leaving, and then in ten forward a little later he's all torn up about it.

Okay, the exterior effects... To be blunt, the lighting on the ship doesn't look as good as s1. It still looks leaps and bounds over standard def, but the ship itself looks a bit washed out and pops out more than looking integrated into the scene. In the s3 trailer, the shots of the ship look more like the cbs-d shots from s1. Better contrast and coloring.

O also think they could've updated some of the Borg cube chase shots where it looks like the image of the model is simply zoomed in on instead of an actual camera pass. Maxwell probably knows the term for it. It's like they took a freeze frame static shot and slowly zoom it in to show the ship approaching. A few of the shots where the cube is firing the shield draining shots I can live with, but i was really hoping they'd fix the shot of the cube where the enterprise zooms by at warp 9 and then the cube follows. Unfortunately they didn't.

Overall it was still am sing, but the exterior shots were a bit off compared to s1.

S3 trailer... Everything I could've hoped for!

Calling it here. S3 movie event is definitely yesterday's ent. And bobw pt1.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    We had a great time! The seats were full enough (but not packed) and the crowd was really into it. Everyone applauded at the end of "The Measure of a Man." And with good reason, I LOVED the longer version.

My complaint: Must they show a series of images and clips from the episode that we're about to watch? My fiance had never seen either episode and I deliberately avoided spoiling her about the content of the episodes. She had no idea going in that we'd be watching the first Borg episode or that Q would be in it... but she sure as hell did by the time they finished that mini-documentary about it. I know that the vast majority of the people who are going out see these are very familiar with the episodes, but not everyone is. It would be nice if they could play the episode first, and then play the supplemental material.

Other than that, we had a blast. I'm glad we went.

10. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

We had to complain to the theater manager. The video was good, but the sound was horrible.

1. The theater was 5.1 not 7.1 That we could live with.

2. What we couldn't live with and are demanding our money back is that the center channel (dialogue) was only coming out of the right front speaker. And the right front speaker audio was coming out of the center channel. The left side and rear surround were correct. Ruined the episodes. Manager said the technician wasn't around anymore. The friend I was with is a sound tech and offered to correct it, he had looked through the window to see what equipment was being used and could fix it if allowed.

Great visual experience, terrible sound.

Who would I tell so that the people setting things up know that this theater (not used for season one) isn't setting up correctly. Cost of 2 tickets $25.00

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Shame. It's always bugged me how small the cube looks when it's chasing the Enterprise in those shots, and I was hoping it would get corrected. :(

Hell, they could have used the same shot, but just slowed the cube down a little to convey a greater sense of scale, and that would have been an improvement.

12. tomalak301

Just got back from seeing it and some thoughts. I might post this first thought in the main thread but because we are talking about the screening, I figured I would just post it here too.

1) Did things seem brighter on these two episodes (And assuming the entire season) than in Season 1? What I mean is when you had the exterior Enterprise shots, it almost looked like things were more upconverted to HD rather than restored. To be blunt, the ship looked way too white, while in season 1 it looked darker gray but more crisper. I actually found it a little distracting, but this is something I can actually live with instead of crying bloody murder. However, it just didn't look up to Season 1's standards, and the blu-ray trailer for season 3 only reasserted that fact. Hell, after watching that trailer, I think I'm more excited for season 3 than season 2. Holy god that looked absolutely beautiful.

2) I loved the extended Measure of a Man, and the only scene I would have cut would have been the fencing scene, because it kind of put Riker in a different light that kind of loses the point of the episode. Riker was treating this as competition but the original episode showed him guilty pretty much the entire way through, making the final scene much more poignant. I did like Picard in this scene though, and to bring back his Fencing from We'll Always Have Paris was nice, but I'm not sure in the long run if this scene would have worked to the episode's strengths. The show, even with the extended footage is still a classic though

3) Everytime I see Q Who and Best of Both Worlds, it's like I forget what Voyager did to The Borg. They were really really scary in these episodes, and this might be Q's second best episode (With the best being all good things). I still love his line after he shifts the Enterprise to System J-25 and think it's one of the best lines ever to grace a script on this series.

4) I think one of the main reasons I went to this is because I've been championing the special features and wanted something to tide me over until I get season 2 for Christmas (Not picking it up next week). They were all very good, and the Making it So documentary is living up to the standards of "Stardate Revisited". I'm looking forward to seeing it all, especially the full interview with Diana Maulder. There was one thing I didn't like and that was losing a lot of respect for Marina Sirtis during the Cast reunion. It was when she said "With apologies to the other series, TNG was the flagship show". Hey, Mrs. Ditsy chick who couldn't act until First Contact and Voyager, SHUT UP. TNG was not the flagship show, Star Trek was. Have some respect to the series that came before, and the series you were even on that came after. The look on Brent Spiner's face said it all, Sirtis was full of bull shit who should "Know her role". I'm sorry if this pisses off all the troi fans, and I love TNG, but her comment was ridiculous. If anyone wishes to clarify her statement because I sound harsh, please do. I feel like I took all I needed to know and understood it perfectly.

5) During the pre-show, they were showing clips of the different episodes and the differences between standard def and the restored version and there was one segment that opened my eyes. It was when they were showing screenshots for Loud as a Whisper, and the shot of the chorus being vaporized and I was like, that might be Season 2's 11001001 moment. It kind of reminded me of seeing the innereds of Remmick from Conspiracy. Great shot and freeze frame.

I had a great time, and the theater was about half full. It was great watching Star Trek: TNG on the big screen, seeing the title sequence in surround sound, and being with other people to enjoy it. It felt like being a kid again, especially Measure of a Man watching it for the first time. I'm looking forward to when they are doing this for Season 3, which I hope they do.

13. Utopianvista

Utopianvista Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sirtis came off HORRIBLY in that cast reunion segment.

The season 3 trailer was amazing. Totally made S2 look like junk. I wasn't really that impressed with any of the shots tonight but the season 3 trailer yikes that was impressive.

My theater was about half full but there was a lot of clapping and laughing at certain parts. Everyone enjoyed themselves a ton.

14. LeadHead

I actually liked that scene a lot. To me it wasn't Riker getting into the competition as much as he was trying to figure out how to play his role. If he doesn't give it his all, Data loses. If he does give it his all, Data could lose. If he can't stand up to his Captain and take him on, head to head, Data Loses. It's a no win scenario for Riker. In this time of confusion, he goes to his Captain, but because of the Captain's position in this situation, all he can say is essentially "Bring it on!"

All he can do is what he's done his whole career, do the job he's been assigned. He left Troi because of that drive, perhaps it was the thought that no matter what he did, he'd either lose the respect of his Captain, the friendship of his crew mates and maybe even the ability to remain an effective First Officer of the Enterprise. Data's life was on the line in this episode, but Riker was very much in the hot seat too.

I think she stated it poorly, and granted we only saw glimpses of the final product, but there is some accuracy of it.

TNG got movies, DS9 and Voyager didn't.

People are far more likely to know who the crew of TNG is over the rest. People may know Seven or The Doctor, or Phlox or Odo, but by en large somebody would be more likely to know Geordi and wouldn't know who Chakotay is.

If there hadn't been the thing about her admitting her own acting flaws, I might have seen this differently, but she basically said that she stunk in the pilot. So it's not that she lacks humility.

Of the modern Trek series, TNG was the most successful and the rest of the series were measured against it.

I love all of the series but it's not a crime to think that TNG stands above the others in some ways. (and doesn't in others)

15. tomalak301

I'll grant you that People might know more TNG than DS9 or Voyager (And TNG was definitely more accessible to a wide range of people), but it wasn't a flagship show. When people think Star Trek, the first thing that comes to mind more often than not is Kirk and Spock. It was the original that started it all, and if it wasn't for the original, who knows what TNG would have been, if anything at all. What I didn't like was her shitting on the other series talking about TNG, and I can understand a lot of people being turned off by that. Like I said, TNG is my favorite series, and I was even turned off by it.

16. LeadHead

I'll agree with you on that when people think Trek, It's not Picard and Riker, it's Kirk and Spock. I think she meant modern Trek, in which case, it's a fair assessment.

I don't think it was meant to be taken that far, I really don't think that it went so far as to shit on the other series. She didn't state it well, I'll grant you, but to make the leap from she thinks TNG stands above the other series to that she has negative feelings about the other ones is a stretch in my opinion.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

That was GREAT! A somewhat revelatory experience...I absolutely LOVED the extended cut of Measure of a man. My episode ratings don't change much but the new cut may actually pop the episode into my top 10 from STNG and easily one of the best trek episodes of all time. The audience was smaller than the first season special event but both episodes were so well written that people were in rapt attention. I enjoyed the extras but the season 3 trailer literally made me drool above all else. I really can't wait for my Bluray!!!

RAMA

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well I grew up with TOS in reruns, but the first thing I think of when I think of Trek is STNG.

19. Creatre

Creatre Ensign Newbie

Really enjoyed the season 2 event. Enjoyed going to the first as well a few months ago. This one had a LOT less attendance, but I went to a different, smaller theater than last time so I think that was why (hopefully).

Currently running through ST: Voyager, so getting to see "Q Who" again while watching Voyager was pretty cool. Kind of forget the first meeting of the borg and the intensity and fear surrounding them, where as by the end of Voyager they aren't worried too much about them because of all the Borg experience they had gained.

I fail though, didn't even notice the extended scenes in Measure of a Man. Watched it probably 5 times on the original, but not in a few years, and I thought they had forgotten to show the extended stuff or something. Either way, it's a great episode and glad they showed it. :bolian:

Great night, hope they keep it up for all the seasons! I really hope they make it to Season 5 so they can show "The Inner Light." What I would give to see that in HD on the big screen!

20. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah I originally took it to mean modern Trek.