DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

While I don't think it should be done all the time, I really do see the argument for frequent #1s. Say I'm Joe Normal, never read a comic, but want to get started. I go to pick up a Superman comic. What's more appealing? Superman #632 or Superman #1? Seeing the #1 tells me that this is a good place to jump in. Seeing some triple digit number makes me think I would be coming in the middle of a story, and I would be less likely to bother. I think that perhaps renumbering when there's a change in creative teams is a good idea that could help grow the number of comic readers out there. Picking up a comic seems like a less daunting task.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess it's hard for me to understand that mentality. I started reading super-hero comics with Superman #50, which not only was the 50th issue, but also the 4th part of a 4 part storyline, which crossed over with the other Superman titles. Granted, it was the engagement issue, but being issue #50 didn't stop me.

I branched out from there and grabbed Flash #50 and Green Lantern #9.

I just don't buy the argument that the only thing preventing people from picking up a title is that it isn't a #1 issue. There have been plenty of series that I picked up in the midst of their runs. Again, the internet makes it easy to figure out which issues you need and which you can ignore.

And, as Guy said, picking up comics after the 1st issue makes people want to go back and buy the previous issues, which drives up back issue sales (good for the comic store), as well as the trades (good for bookstores, Amazon, the comic store, etc.).

Which isn't to say that I'm against restarting series, mind you. I do agree that a major change in the title is a valid reason to restart it. However, I think comic companies have been too liberal with restarting a series. If the protagonist or the very essence of the series changes, then I can see restarting it. For example, my previously used example of Superman and Justice League restarting after Crisis on Infinite Earths and more recently, Green Lantern restarting with Hal as the main character, instead of Kyle after Rebirth, represent times when I think it was worthwhile to restart.

Over at Marvel, restarting and re-titling Spider-Man, when Octavious took over made sense. Same with their restarting Daredevil, when Waid came onboard to move Matt from being a dark and serious character back to a troubled, but more carefree character.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Comics are things that only comic book nerds care about. No one else cares about comics, let alone creative team changes. There is no casual reader of comic books. Maybe graphic novels, but monthlies are, I believe, the territory of the comic book nerd.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if issue one is the ticket, then why not get rid of ongoing series?

What if everything was a mini series focussing on who ever the hell from the entire DCU?

It is sort of ridiculous that any single story doesn't bleed over into every other story each month... I always remember that issue of Alan Moore's Swamp thing where the Justice league is sitting in their satellite, and they are looking at how the Floronic Man killed a small town and almost wiped out the rest of the planet in the same fashion, and Kal has this big speech about "Where were we? Why didn't we stop this? What was so important in Metropolis or Central City or Gotham that we couldn't have saved that little shanty town?"

:)

5. shivkala

That's Marvel's plan in the 90's for Venom. He just had mini-series after mini-series.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's basically what Hellboy (and the larger Mignola-verse) has done for the last 2 decades.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't stand the constant stream of mini series because then it becomes a bitch figuring out the order the stories take place in. That always really bugged me about Hellboy and BRPD. Fortunately BRPD finally started a singular numbering.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read Superman/Wonder Woman #4. Charles Soule has done some interesting character work on this book as he continues to explore the relationship between Wonder Woman and Superman along with it's ramifications and consequences now that it has been made public. There is a great panel where it shows Batman seeing coverage on a jumbo screen in Gotham Square and he Batarang's the screen much to the disappointment of the public lol. Bruce clearly doesn't like this relationship. Also General Zod releases Faora from the Phantom Zone.

9. shivkala

I agree. And with non-creator owned material, it often means a change in direction either of the character, the creative team, or both.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Smallville Season 11 went from ongoing numbering to restarting at #1 for each new storyline earlier this year.
    Honestly, as long as the story lines are continuing, I don't really care how a series is numbered.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This is exactly the argument I was too inarticulate to make, other than the addition that DC should probably actually make moves to boost the sales of some of their titles rather than tossing them out altogether. Demon Knights, LSH, Teen Titans and Stormwatch are titles off the top of my head that really deserved a chance to make it with a new creative team. Animal Man too.

I don't mind introducing brand new series, but canceling one Justice League book only to start another seems silly. Justice League International should have been allowed to transition into JLA and the JLU, for example. You don't need #1 on the cover, just an "All new Direction" blurb.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto. I didn't start a single title at #1 for the better part of 5+yrs. Every book from either company was in triple digits. I cared to jump in and figure it out as I went. Kind of OTJT(on-the-job-training) if you will.

Like someone said, it's not like the stories don't bleed into each other. The biggest example is Marvel doing the Waid written DD and Hulk books. Interviews have had him state that the new direction is still going to spin out of events from those book. So, why renumber? It's not a "fresh start". If Joe Regular does come in off the street the first few issues are going to reveal things he/she is clueless about.

There have now been so many relaunches that when Joe Regular does decide to jump in to back issue bins there are now multiple "title x" issues of a #2, #3....the question is well which volume is that? Volumes are not posted on the cover. Most shops don't want you un-bagging books. If you do get into the book many times the legal disclaimer isn't even on the first or second page anymore, sometimes the back page now. The industry isn't making it easier to "get into" comics from a long term perspective for "new" readers. Which I still think are as elusive as undiscovered Amazon frogs. Rarely do I actually see one.

I think a large part of the blame falls on retailers who still heavily order #1 issues. I'm not convinced that the increase in actual sales to the end consumer is anything but marginal in many cases. That and collectors of variant covers. I see this at my LCS all the time. Crazy stacks of a title cause he had a few hold customers wanting some 1:50 cover. Those surplus books then can't be returned and ultimately end up in $1 boxes.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Agreed, it's all because the retailers over-order on #1s. It's an artificial and temporary sales hike.

14. Admiral_Young

Nightwing, Suicide Squad, JLA, and Superman Unchained are all cancelled and ending in April.

If you guys recall...there was a previous report I think last month or so that stated "Superman Unchained" was ending but DC refuted this as did Snyder, saying something like only Jim Lee's tenure on the book was ending. Maybe they will relaunch it as something else but for now #9 is the finale.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/21/nightwing-cancelled/

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Aw man. It's not looking good for Dick to make it out of Forever Evil alive. :(
    He's a favorite character of mine. I'll be sad if he goes.

16. Admiral_Young

Dick is probably getting an identity change. DiDio won't out right kill him. There was a blonde character sitting next to Tim in the Batman: Eternal Thanksgiving Banner. My guess is that he is getting an identity change. I've even read theories/rumours he could pose as a Talon for a while.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Suicide Squad was actually getting good ever since Kot and Kindt came onboard. Hope it gets relaunced with a new #1.

Nightwing turning into a Talon/Court of Owls book is likely given that the last issue is written by Tynion.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They're cancelling Superman Unchained?! :wtf: They should have just called it a mini-series by Lee and Snyder. Or better yet have put it in the main Superman book which isn't very good...

JLA's "cancellation" is just a name change to JL United/Canada, right?

19. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah it's being relaunched as Justice League United.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

JLA was solid.

Good art, interesting story, very dark.

Never actually read Justice League dark.